Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game?? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game??

You don’t fire Dino to hire Lewis. I’ve been saying this since the summer. It will never, ever happen so move on.

Same thing with promoting White. Sure our defense is improved and has kept us in games but still isn’t very good. Better off keeping Dino at that point.

My list would start with: Clawson (make him say no), Chadwell, Moorhead, Tony Elliot, Josh Gattis, Charles Huff, Jim McElwain, Curt Cignetti

Would be absolutely SHOCKED if Marrone is even approached for the job. He pissed a lot of people off when he left.
Joe or Cignetti

Bringing in a lower level head coach is problematic, because he likely brings his entire staff. Then, we have to wait 3 years to see who can't cut the mustard at the P5 level. Would rather get a former HC, preferably with the relationships and cache, to build a top notch staff. Doug Marrone is a good coach, but in hindsight, that was a helleva staff he put together.

To be fair we had a high school coach from Texas coaching one of the most important positions on the team. We also have two coaches dedicated to the WR group which is arguably one of our lowest performing groups. So I’m not sure I’m too worried about anyone bringing in lower level coaching staff. The question is whether they can coach up the players or not bexause we’re not going to see huge leaps in recruiting no matter who we hire

We’re not making a splash hire even if we had no buyout to pay. We’re likely looking at a rising FCS coach or a FCS coach with a sizable resume of experience.
An FCS coach? What sense does that make? When was the last time a P5 program hired an FCS coach as HC?

We were new to sucking with GRob. Not only have we lost a ton of games these last 23 seasons, we have played ugly football. Eventually these little cuts kill you.
Sure, see you at the dome next year.

No the body of his work decided his fate. It’s not the executioners fault at that point he’s just pulling the lever to drop the floor. The loses and the way he’s coaching is what got him on the chopping block. Do you think we should pile up another year of loses. Would that be enough. What is your tipping point, the entire team enters the portal, we average 1 win, recruiting in the 100 area for rankings, when is enough enough.
Players entering the portal is the norm - it happens in every program.

Players transfer out of Boeheim’s program all the time. See Kadary.

Babers’ team has played pretty well this year - there has been obvious improvement.

The coaching staff has improved.

Recruiting has improved.

In my opinion stability in the program is very important- starting all over again with a new staff is a gamble I would not take.

Dino has shown he can win. He has shown he can beat good teams.

You don’t decide the future of the Program on the basis of one game against Pitt.

And you don’t dump this staff.

I try to stay positive but am drained, feel a lot like O Extreme.
I’ll be driving through your neck of the woods on the way to the PA state line to hammer the Panthers

dino just seems way too nonchalant and comfortable given his atrocious losing record here. JW needs to light a serious fire under his skillet tomorrow and say dance or fry. one more season. i'll concede these past 2 seasons have been difficult times. but difficult for everybody.

Last edited:

Babers’ team has played pretty well this year - there has been obvious improvement.

Recruiting has improved.

In my opinion stability in the program is very important- starting all over again with a new staff is a gamble I would not take.

You don’t decide the future of the Program on the basis of one game against Pitt.

Stability meaning consistently losing?

Recruiting has improved.

Seriously. Im not being difficult but what can you point to as progress?
What makes you feel as if Dino is the right coach to lead this program in the future. We are 6 years deep and i dont see a positive trajectory. I see a team that lost 10 games last year being destroyed the last 2 games. I see a dysfunctional organization and i see a disengaged staff.
What do you see as positives?

I bet all those who think no one will come here were the same ones who said Dino would never come here...until he did. Mullen would be a homerun hire-Maybe Weitsman could help, though I'm not sure if he cares about Football. I'm not set on Marrone, but did Marrone tell everyone here he wouldn't come here? With all the open jobs, I'm not hearing him mentioned with anyone, so would be surprised if h wouldn't consider it.
The advantage about hiring a guy like White is he's low risk, hopefully keeps the better coaches on the staff and could be agreeable to bringing in a new OC with some fresh ideas and contacts. Other than UL, the Defense has played fairly well all year, esp. considering how much our O has struggled. He's a good recruiter, well-liked, has a NY connection, and shouldn't be too expensive, so maybe this would be a scenario where the school would be willing to pay Dino's payout. Most importantly, it allows us a chance to recruit, as he won't be a lame-duck. The current class is weak and next class will be weaker with a lame-duck coach.

English? What exactly are you asking?

Do you not think there have been a lot of negatives? There have also been positives, but those negatives would land most ADs in the hot seat.
I was asking you to disclose how you seem to know what will happen.

dino just seems way too nonchalant and comfortable given his atrocious losing record here. JW needs to light a serious fire under his skillet tomorrow and say dance or fry. one more season. i'll concede these past 2 seasons have been difficult times. but difficult for everybody.
Dino 2016-2018 was a totally different cat(to use his vernacular) than Dino 2019-2021. The fire seems to be gone. Maybe a big extension will do that sometimes

Last edited:

Recruiting has improved.

Lol. Yeah huge improvement from last years 1win season. This years recruiting class is 74th.
Stability is important especially when you win 6 -8 games a year not when you win 1 -5 a year. Unless you think 1-5 is all we can do if that’s the case then downgrade the team and let’s go win a d2 title.

It's true. And this program looks like Terry Sawchuck on the cover of Life magazine.
old time hockey

s-l300.jpg

Recruiting has improved.

If we do retain the staff as you suggest, do you set any minimum expectations for next season?

Recruiting has improved.

I agree 100% with OrangePA. Stability is most important in today's college football world for a program like ours. This is not a burn it to the ground, re-start and hope things have improved in 5 years. There are a lot of storied programs and prestigious schools that have had recent success that are in the dumpster at the moment. Folks at Nebraska, Texas, USC, Arizona, Stanford, and Northwestern are devastated. UMD has had some great recent recruiting classes and they still are a middling program.

Truthfully, the NC State players looked huge yesterday compared to our team. That was one large team. The good teams with depth are getting stronger as the season goes on and the weaker teams become weaker as injuries mount. Add in that 10 players have quit. Less than 25% of the 2018 recruiting class remains (and this should be at this point the backbone of this program). The guys who are quitting are kidding themselves if they believe they will arrive at a new program and be annointed the starting WR, LB, etc. Takes several years to intuitively learn a new system and physically grow into a serviceable division one football player (unless you were a high four star or five star high schooler).

If I were the AD, I would recommend to Dino that (i) he find a new OC with deep northeastern roots / east coast roots and the willingness to make the time commitment to these high schools as the program needs to make in roads so that the high school coaches send their fringe tier one players to SU, (ii) he find position coaches with deep roots in the junior colleges given the reality of the portal so that some grown men can be brought in each year to plug into slots being deserted by third year and older players, (iii) he bring in some artificial intelligence guru who can scrub the transfer portfal to find some high quality transfers without baggage, and (iv) he bring in other consultants to help other areas of weakness that can be improved upon.

Need to take the Oakland As and Pittsburgh Pirate / Steelers approach to college football at SU as this will never be the NY Yankees.

PS Wonder what would have happened if Nathanial Hackett were offered the job rather than Scott Shafer?

Lol. Yeah huge improvement from last years 1win season. This years recruiting class is 74th.
Stability is important especially when you win 6 -8 games a year not when you win 1 -5 a year. Unless you think 1-5 is all we can do if that’s the case then downgrade the team and let’s go win a d2 title.
The Orange has played better. There’s no doubt about that.

Our best talent is our a young talent - recruiting is clearly better.

We just disagree on the state of the Program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom