Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game?? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game??

An FCS coach? What sense does that make? When was the last time a P5 program hired an FCS coach as HC?
Kansas State did and have been pretty successful, we of all schools can't be snobs to an FCS coach who has DEVELOPED players... Something that is rarely accomplished up on the hill

Lot of jobs to fill this year. Not a good year to replace a coach. Not that we are anyway. We need another year to drive the program further into apathy for everyone.

We replaced the offensive coordinator and the defensive coordinator. It's a minor detail I know.
Why exactly did that happen. Is it because he chose loyalty over the program and hung onto bad coaches too long. Let’s also add in the huge swing and miss of a hire Gilbert is.

We replaced the offensive coordinator and the defensive coordinator. It's a minor detail I know.
How about every team that hired a new coach then. I wonder how our record compared to then

How about every team that hired a new coach then. I wonder how our record compared to then

We had new systems, lots of injuries, a few opt outs and a very limited time to get it together. And more restrictive state in 2020 COVID next to a lot of states where our opponents are. It is what it is.

Fire the guy, whatever, results aren't changing much.

I wouldn’t be so sure. I think we he was offered he would take it. Doug has a huge ego and I bet the change would suck him back in
Why would he leave? He’s got a great situation again like New Orleans. Getting coffee for another coaching genius

Marcus Freeman the ND DC is someone I really like who would be realistic for us.
Lot's of moving pieces but I've heard he is the obvious choice for Cincy if Fickell jumps ship.

I wouldn’t be so sure. I think we he was offered he would take it. Doug has a huge ego and I bet the change would suck him back in

We won’t offer.

If JW actually does it, this coaching search please don't nickel and dime the next scott frost like last time. Look what he did at UCF, not only during his time there but also the continued success they have had after he left.

I'm not saying the same thing would've happened here but if they want to have success they need to spend money to make money. They shouldn't be going cheap on the most important hire for the sport that brings in the most money and funds your athletic department and bring the university a lot of notoriety.

Kansas State did and have been pretty successful, we of all schools can't be snobs to an FCS coach who has DEVELOPED players... Something that is rarely accomplished up on the hill
agreed, joe moorhead was just a good a coach at Fordham as he is now. Did Franklin make him a better OC at PSU? Highly doubt it. He also recruited the Northeast. I’m just saying if JW does replace Dino there are plenty of options out there that nobody is even discussing and if we are willing to give the guy 5-6 years it’s probably appealing to some smaller guys as well.

You do realize that plenty of P5&G5 schools hired new HC's and entire staffs and still had actual success . Some programs change coordinators every other season and nobody blinks an eye.

The poster said they should not have been new that year. Because Dino I guess was supposed to fire them after the 10-3 season. Which is illogical. Which a lot of this is.

If they have someone that can get them better next season and the money works great, we all want to win. But it's not that easy. Just look around college football on how stupid all this stuff really is.

If JW actually does it, this coaching search please don't nickel and dime the next scott frost like last time. Look what he did at UCF, not only during his time there but also the continued success they have had after he left.

I'm not saying the same thing would've happened here but if they want to have success they need to spend money to make money. They shouldn't be going cheap on the most important hire for the sport that brings in the most money and funds your athletic department and bring the university a lot of notoriety.

‘he should hire the best coach, not a name or throw money at retreads

Oh please. Covid impacted EVERY program in the country. Why are we thin?! Because Dino can’t bring in players! Why are players opting out? Because they are quitters and the head coach couldn’t get the players to by in an trust the system. Anyone with a brain knew they didn’t want to be part of the team but couldn’t find Greener pastures. Most universities didn’t have spring ball. You’re making excuses over and over and over and no one is buying them. What are the excuses for the other losing season. An outbreak in turf toe, in grown toe nails?
we also scheduled spring practice later than most schools and had replaced both coordinators

The poster said they should not have been new that year. Because Dino I guess was supposed to fire them after the 10-3 season. Which is illogical. Which a lot of this is.

If they have someone that can get them better next season and the money works great, we all want to win. But it's not that easy. Just look around college football on how stupid all this stuff really is.
I agree with you on the state of firing and hiring. IMO it is getting ridiculous and no coach is given the time to develop a program, with that said I think Dino has been one of the few to be given that chance. With the schedule we play there really is no excuse to not be hitting 6-6 at least half the time.

The other thing that was striking to me is his lack of use of the portal. We know he got shrader but look at Mel Tucker and Schiano turning it around at much harder jobs so fast partly because they get 10+ solid portal guys every year.

Take a look at sunny dykes, prior to the craziness that it is now he was taking 15+ from the portal every year. We'll lose kids like everyone but the portal should be a big positive and land us kids we couldn't dream of in Hs.

We had new systems, lots of injuries, a few opt outs and a very limited time to get it together. And more restrictive state in 2020 COVID next to a lot of states where our opponents are. It is what it is.

Fire the guy, whatever, results aren't changing much.
Here is what it comes down to
Drop Dino = Another 3 4 years to build his system (new HC) and get his players ( no the transfer portal isn’t the magic program fixer)
Your chances of a success are well below 500 regardless of how well you research because you can’t predict how someone will do. There is a list of a million names of great young coaches that fail.

I personally have seen enough good things that I would stay with Dino another year as will JW I believe. Nobody has been any more depressed then me the last two weeks including the costs of air fare / food / car rental …… to get to Carter-Finley

Last edited:
‘he should hire the best coach, not a name or throw money at retreads
I'm talking about in 15 Scott Frost was the OC at Oregon and we lowballed him 1.2 million a year and he went to UCF who was 0-12 the year prior. This should not be an issue any longer and I'm not saying we go 12-0 with Frost but when we identify THE guy money we can't be nickel and diming these guys.

I agree with you on the state of firing and hiring. IMO it is getting ridiculous and no coach is given the time to develop a program, with that said I think Dino has been one of the few to be given that chance. With the schedule we play there really is no excuse to not be hitting 6-6 at least half the time.

The other thing that was striking to me is his lack of use of the portal. We know he got shrader but look at Mel Tucker and Schiano turning it around at much harder jobs so fast partly because they get 10+ solid portal guys every year.

Take a look at sunny dykes, prior to the craziness that it is now he was taking 15+ from the portal every year. We'll lose kids like everyone but the portal should be a big positive and land us kids we couldn't dream of in Hs.

Yeah, there have to be enough 6'3" WRs types sitting in there, with a few OLs that we should swing with. FWIW weren't a lot of Schiano's guys Jersey kids coming home? My bad if not so.

Yeah, there have to be enough 6'3" WRs types sitting in there, with a few OLs that we should swing with. FWIW weren't a lot of Schiano's guys Jersey kids coming home? My bad if not so.
Four of eleven in 2020 were from NJ, 2021 he only took six and none were from NJ. My free advise to the university would be to hire Dan Mullen and have him take 10 or 15 transfers a year minimum.

I think it would bring the life back to the fan base and he'd have legit success here. To me the difference between paying a new coach 4 and 7 million is nothing especially when 4M buys you 1 bowl in 6 years and 7M (mullen) likely brings you a lot more.

If mullen is interested they would be beyond foolish to let money get in the way unless he wants something crazy then open up the check book and lets get rolling.

In hindsight I think Dino was planning on coming in, winning with Dungey and then moving on to a bigger stage. And it almost happened for him.

We could still win this week and go bowling but if Dino is replaced I would like someone with NE ties and some NFL experience to sell recruits

Four of eleven in 2020 were from NJ, 2021 he only took six and none were from NJ. My free advise to the university would be to hire Dan Mullen and have him take 10 or 15 transfers a year minimum.

I think it would bring the life back to the fan base and he'd have legit success here. To me the difference between paying a new coach 4 and 7 million is nothing especially when 4M buys you 1 bowl in 6 years and 7M (mullen) likely brings you a lot more.

If mullen is interested they would be beyond foolish to let money get in the way unless he wants something crazy then open up the check book and lets get rolling.

Thank you on the NJ numbers.

I cannot imagine the BOT signing off on those type of dollars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom