Wildhack rolls the dice! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack rolls the dice!

I think this is a mistake - but really hoping it works out.

To me this is the Miami Hurricanes approach. Just get the recruits to campus and everything else will work itself out. Except it usually doesn’t, and with NIL and the portal it’ll be tough to keep any big name recruits at SU even if he can get them in the first place.

Chesney was the way to go. Will be interesting to watch both of their careers going forward.
You can’t scheme you way to wins with far inferior players

There is this NFL football coach...HEAD COACH.
Coming out of college...grad assistant...DB ( positional ) coach...small school
then somewhat larger ones... the peak was the Cincy Bearcats.
Then onto the pros..position coach... promoted to DC for 1 year with the Minnesota
Vikings. Then got his first HC position...with the Pittsburg Steelers some umpteen years ago.
Say hello to Mike Tomlin. He's done allright.

I heard something from Villari our TE. He stated CUSE football needs a "culture change".
This came from his time with U Mich. I think he's dead on. And Coach Brown strikes me as
a guy who isn't going to accept mediocrity. Don't think we're going to hear Santana's "Smooth"
blaring during practice...

Give this coach...with a solid staff...18 months. We could be a handful.

LGO!!!!!!!!!!

So I’ll give you all an example of some of the BS you have to deal with as an AD. I was told that a group of very prominent alumni was pushing a tag team of Donnie Mac / Paul Pasqualoni as the solution to our coaching problem. Donnie was “SU’s version of Deion”.

They were serious.

They are also the type of alumni that I don’t imagine are told “no” very often.

I don’t think Don has coached in 25-30 years.
It’s like those families that try to hide family secrets by not allowing outsiders in. They try so hard to keep the blood line pure it becomes incestuous.

So I’ll give you all an example of some of the BS you have to deal with as an AD. I was told that a group of very prominent alumni was pushing a tag team of Donnie Mac / Paul Pasqualoni as the solution to our coaching problem. Donnie was “SU’s version of Deion”.

They were serious.

They are also the type of alumni that I don’t imagine are told “no” very often.

I don’t think Don has coached in 25-30 years.
A McPherson/Pasqualoni combo would be awesome. The kids would call it McPeePee.

If he were a few years younger, I think it could work. Fran Brown one way or the other is going to be a 3-4 year solution. Trying to find a 12-15 year solution isn't the worst idea in the world.

Syracuse isn't a destination, at this point anything longer than a 3 year solution is likely a Dino 2.0, winning just enough to keep the job but not enough to get looks from bigger problems. The three candidates seriously talked about after Mullen are all upwardly mobile coaches, none of them would be lifers. Strong recruiting/building recruiting related infrastructure is going to be more valuable in the long term than great x and o's.

Syracuse isn't a destination, at this point anything longer than a 3 year solution is likely a Dino 2.0, winning just enough to keep the job but not enough to get looks from bigger problems. The three candidates seriously talked about after Mullen are all upwardly mobile coaches, none of them would be lifers. Strong recruiting/building recruiting related infrastructure is going to be more valuable in the long term than great x and o's.
Agree that is why being one of the few programs with stability is an advantage. We wouldn’t have to deal with chaos, revolving doors of HCs, large buyouts, high salaries. You keep long term relationships with HS HCs, instead of having to rebuild every new HC. If you could lock in a dozen years, it will help.

Obviously there would be a huge issue with game planning and play calling. That is what the extra leftover HC money is for, good OC and DC. Kinda like we have with Brown anyway.

Say the quiet part out loud much?
Yeah, no dude. Nice try. Sad that that thought even entered into your head because it did not mine, so it speaks to what your mindset must be.

Can and do say that about every single coach before they prove otherwise. Unfortunately, in the meathead profession that it is too often the answer is obvious at all levels, races, creeds, and colors.

You should’ve just posted this……..
EDC38EED-766A-4633-8458-E25D1D111760.gif

Last edited:
I just really hope we hire a seasoned coordinator and he isn’t afraid to hire experience he might be able to lean on in key areas.

Can’t imagine that Brown broke the bank. Hope there’s extra money to hire one of those ex head coaches as a consultant. Bama always seems to have about 6 of them on the payroll. Would make a lot of sense here.

Someone unselfish. Maybe an Addazio type, even though he could take OL.

Brown can’t be the do everything coach and the top recruiter. Just isn’t gonna work.

ND isn't even a destination any more. There's what 5 or 6 that are top tier destinations? Then maybe another 10 that are reasonably safe?

If someone does well here, they will move on, even Mac.

Agree that is why being one of the few programs with stability is an advantage. We wouldn’t have to deal with chaos, revolving doors of HCs, large buyouts, high salaries. You keep long term relationships with HS HCs, instead of having to rebuild every new HC. If you could lock in a dozen years, it will help.

Obviously there would be a huge issue with game planning and play calling. That is what the extra leftover HC money is for, good OC and DC. Kinda like we have with Brown anyway.

stability, in theory, would be great, but what coach who does a good turn here is going to turn down an opportunity at a bigger school? Before I made the chart below I would have called SU mid tier in the ACC, but since joining the ACC they only have a better record than Virginia. The program needs a shot in the arm and its going to be from someone young and hungry who is using the program as a spring board.

WLW%
Syracuse
56​
78​
42%​
NC State
81​
57​
59%​
Louisville
72​
54​
57%​
Pitt
78​
63​
55%​
Vtech
75​
64​
54%​
UNC
75​
65​
54%​
Duke
72​
66​
52%​
Wake
67​
69​
49%​
BC
65​
71​
48%​
Gtech
62​
72​
46%​
Virgina
53​
79​
40%​

Thank you for sharing

Two thoughts

1) Holy Hell, they must have overdone it on the Bourbon
2) Holy hell, was Sam Elliott not available or was he too busy swooning the lovely ladies of syracusefan.com
Hey! That talk belongs over on the Dan Mullen thread and you know it!