Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

Nice job.

I don’t see Notre Dame listed. That isn’t happening.

Minor quibbles: Hard to not include UCF and Memphis. If Temple builds an on campus stadium, I think they could get a seat. I think markets and fan base will get more priority than strict geography. But this is pretty close.
ND is first team listed.

A few facts to remember when debating the issue:

SU has been wanted by the ACC longer than most in this tread imagine, they could have - and in hindsight - should have joined when FSU joined.
The Irish have historically played several games on the east coast, the academies and a mix of other schools. They draw their student body from Catholic populations and, coincidently, there are many Catholics along the east coast.
ND plays Stanford and USC to play on the west coast.
The Irish have honored a promise to Navy because Navy was there for ND, if I recall, in WWII.
The B1G flatly rejected ND membership a long time ago.
ND has been up front about keeping football independent, first with the Big East, which had no formal agreement to play ND in football, and now in the ACC with a guarantee of five games annually.
The Big East rescued ND when they needed a landing spot for all non-football sports, and was key to a resurrecting the Irish hoops program.
ND has a long memory, see Navy.
The ACC member schools have agreed to the current deal. Obviously, they are content with the deal.
Syracuse is a member school and lobbied for ND with the ACC. SU is happy having ND in the conference as is.
The ACC is not going to twist ND's arm for football membership based on one season, or even two.
The ACC would gladly accept ND football at any time.
ND is very happy with the deal. They did not want to go to the B1G nor to the B12.

With the above in mind:
Who cares if ND makes a couple million more or less with their NBC deal?
Who cares if the ACC plays a few extra games against ND this fall? Isn't helping others a good thing? Especially in a crisis?
Like it or not, ND is an ACC team in everything but football, with a football scheduling deal. Enjoy the games for what they are, CFB games. Cheer on our ACC compadres when they play ND, I do.
If we are talking about facts.
Syracuse didn’t lobby for ND to get the deal they got from the ACC,
Where is the fact coming from.
I have a direct source in the AD and we did no such thing.

The ACC commissioner negotiated a deal and had to lobby the ACC presidents to accept the deal they struck with Notre Dams.
Clemson and Florida State were very unhappy with the deal.
Syracuse has nothing to do with getting the deal supported.

Notre Dame hates the Big Ten because of Michigan being racist towards them in the 1940s.
That hasn’t stopped the Big Ten from inviting them to join the conference. Notre Dame. Michigan is why Notre Dame plays a national schedule.

The Irish embarrassed the Big Ten in 1999. Let them believe Notre Dame wanted in and had them lobby the conference and then Notre Dame said thanks but no thanks.

Like it or not ND is an ACC member in everything but football? Wow who cares about ND hoops or ND lacrosse.
They bring close to nothing to the table.
The ACC doesn’t need their other sports. The deal the ACC made showed how truly weak the conference is. I love how our fans competely ignore this point. I want the conference to be successful but it’s a weaker P5 conference by allowing themselves to get suckered into this deal.
The SEC wouldn’t do this deal.
The Big Ten wouldn’t do this deal.

Notre Dame’s options were ACC, Big XII or Big East for their Olympic sports.

They want the benefit of the ACC and give 5 football games a year. Football drives the bus for TV rights. Football gets the ratings. You are the person who thinks basketball matters. It matters very little compared to football for TV rights. Regular season college basketball isn’t close to being that valuable it’s just a nice little time filler content. College football is where the money is made from TV.

Notre Dame needs the ACC if conferences in football for 2020 go Conference only. Notre Dame football is not a member of the ACC. Why people are just so willing to say Notre Dame won’t forget the ACC helping them out can’t understand Notre Dame won’t give a chit unless they are forced into negotiating to give something they won’t.

Navy saved the college from going out of business. That is completely different from the school losing one season of college football. The school will have the Catholic Church give them PPP funding before they say we need to thank the ACC for what they did for us woohoo we won’t forget.

The Irish fan in this thread knows what I am saying and he pretty is upfront about it. You don’t negotiate weak. Just hoping Notre Dame remembers isn’t going to do anything.

Notre Dame told the Big East they would help the football schools with scheduling. They never did. Why? It was never on paper and Notre Dame didn’t do anything they weren’t forced to do. Which is why unlike the Big East the ACC atleast made the Irish put it on paper.

But the Irish enjoyed those Big Easg basketball home games they would get from Syracuse, UConn, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati.

I enjoy the games. I just don’t want the conference to treat some school it doesn’t need better than it should.
Notre Dame doesn’t want the Big Ten there is now leverage for the ACC to get more from them. They should use that leverage. If they don’t they are stupid to think Notre Dame won’t in the future change the terms when it would be favorable to them.

The ACC commissioner negotiated a deal and had to lobby the ACC presidents to accept the deal they struck with Notre Dams.

Notre Dame hates the Big Ten because of Michigan being racist towards them in the 1940s.
That hasn’t stopped the Big Ten from inviting them to join the conference. Notre Dame. Michigan is why Notre Dame plays a national schedule.

The Irish embarrassed the Big Ten in 1999. Let them believe Notre Dame wanted in and had them lobby the conference and then Notre Dame said thanks but no thanks.

Like it or not ND is an ACC member in everything but football? Wow who cares about ND hoops or ND lacrosse.
The ACC doesn’t need their other sports. The deal the ACC made showed how truly weak the conference is. I love how our fans competely ignore this point. I want the conference to be successful but it’s a weaker P5 conference by allowing themselves to get suckered into this deal.

They want the benefit of the ACC and give 5 football games a year. Football drives the bus for TV rights. Football gets the ratings. You are the person who thinks basketball matters. It matters very little compared to football for TV rights. Regular season college basketball isn’t close to being that valuable it’s just a nice little time filler content. College football is where the money is made from TV.

Notre Dame needs the ACC if conferences in football for 2020 go Conference only. Notre Dame football is not a member of the ACC. Why people are just so willing to say Notre Dame won’t forget the ACC helping them out can’t understand Notre Dame won’t give a chit unless they are forced into negotiating to give something they won’t.

Navy saved the college from going out of business. That is completely different from the school losing one season of college football. The school will have the Catholic Church give them PPP funding before they say we need to thank the ACC for what they did for us woohoo we won’t forget.

The Irish fan in this thread knows what I am saying and he pretty is upfront about it. You don’t negotiate weak. Just hoping Notre Dame remembers isn’t going to do anything.

Notre Dame told the Big East they would help the football schools with scheduling. They never did. Why? It was never on paper and Notre Dame didn’t do anything they weren’t forced to do. Which is why unlike the Big East the ACC atleast made the Irish put it on paper.

But the Irish enjoyed those Big Easg basketball home games they would get from Syracuse, UConn, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati.

I enjoy the games. I just don’t want the conference to treat some school it doesn’t need better than it should.
Notre Dame doesn’t want the Big Ten there is now leverage for the ACC to get more from them. They should use that leverage. If they don’t they are stupid to think Notre Dame won’t in the future change the terms when it would be favorable to them.

I don’t want them full members without ND wanting that.
You know what I want accomplished and I think the ACC has leverage to go from 5 to 6 and that gets the ball rolling towards more.

Notre Dame (South Bend)
Boston College (Boston)
Connecticut (Storrs)
Syracuse (Syracuse)
Rutgers (Piscataway)
Penn St (University Park)
Maryland (College Park)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh)
West Virginia (Morgantown)

Virginia (Charlottesville)
Virginia Tech (Blacksburg)
Louisville (Louisville)
Kentucky (Lexington)
Duke (Durham)
North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
North Carolina St (Raleigh)
Vanderbilt (Nashville)
Tennessee (Knoxville)

South Carolina (Columbia)
Clemson (Clemson)
Georgia (Athens)
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
Alabama (Tuscaloosa)
Auburn (Auburn)
Florida (Gainesville)
Florida St (Tallahassee)
Miami (Miami)

Mississippi (Oxford)
Mississippi St (Starkville)
Arkansas (Fayetteville)
LSU (Baton Rouge)
Oklahoma (Norman)
Oklahoma St (Stillwater)
Texas (Austin)
Texas A&M (College Station)
Texas Tech (Lubbock)

Cincinnati (Cincinnati)
Ohio St (Columbus)
Michigan (Ann Arbor)
Michigan St (East Lansing)
Indiana (Bloomington)
Purdue (West Lafayette)
Northwestern (Evanston)
Illinois (Urbana Champaign)
Wisconsin (Madison)

Minnesota (Minneapolis)
Iowa (Iowa City)
Iowa St (Ames)
Nebraska (Lincoln)
Missouri (Columbia)
Kansas (Lawrence)
Kansas St (Manhattan)
Colorado (Boulder)
Colorado St (Fort Collins)

Arizona (Tucson)
Arizona St (Tempe)
UNLV (Las Vegas)
Boise St (Boise)
BYU (Provo)
Utah (Salt Lake City)
Baylor (Waco)
TCU (Fort Worth)
Houston (Houston)

USC (Los Angeles)
UCLA (Los Angeles)
San Diego St (San Diego)
Stanford (Palo Alto)
California (Berkeley)
Oregon (Eugene)
Oregon St (Corvallis)
Washington (Seattle)
Washington St (Pullman)
Take out Yukon, put Temple (Phil.) in the same slot, and you've got a good list.

Next serious questions;
  • What litigation?
  • Why would the big boys (top 20) want to share money with 72 - 80 teams when they could get the same contract with only 36 - 48 teams?
Because the elephant, and donkey in the room would get involved. There won't be anyone stupid enough to think Congress wouldn't get involved, and that would be the end of the gravy train.

Because the elephant, and donkey in the room would get involved. There won't be anyone stupid enough to think Congress wouldn't get involved, and that would be the end of the gravy train.

Gotcha. I took "litigation" to mean a college suing the mega-conference.

No question their will be massive political pressure to include state schools.

Nice job.

I don’t see Notre Dame listed. That isn’t happening.

Minor quibbles: Hard to not include UCF and Memphis. If Temple builds an on campus stadium, I think they could get a seat. I think markets and fan base will get more priority than strict geography. But this is pretty close.
This

Going to 81 works but not awesome for a clean playoff

9 conferences of 9 great for 8 game conference schedule and 16 in hoops

80 teams, 8 Leagues is cleanest

Gotcha. I took "litigation" to mean a college suing the mega-conference.

No question their will be massive political pressure to include state schools.
Those that don't make the cut would form a super FCS. Take the top FCS schools along with bottom feeders in Div 1 like UMass, UL-Monroe and FIU. Once again 64-80 teams sounds about right.

If it gets monetized properly it would be a good thing. I'd like the idea of them being able to play 1 or 2 buy games too. Obviously, TV payouts would be less profitable but they could also create restrictions on budget.

I wonder about the Service Academies... they don't fit neatly into either.

People who think conferences are going to get smaller unless their is a antitrust style litigation like Microsoft in the 1990s.
They are large on purpose to maximize revenue.

Penn State isn’t going to leave the Big Ten to play the Northeast schools.

Cincinnati isn’t getting Michigan and Ohio State as conference opponents.

4x16 is the end game. One of the P5 will get swallowed and carved up.

ND fan here.

I agree with Alsacs and others.

I don't want ND football to be officially a formal part of the ACC in 2020.

Playing as a full member and being eligible for the conference championship, even for one year, is too much entanglement/integration.

A couple of replacement games? Sure. If the ACC is unwilling, ok no hard feelings. Understood.

Full membership for football for a year? Playing for the league title? Too much.

Full membership forever as a demand or an ultimatum? No.

Frankly, with the move of the Navy game from Dublin, the cancellation of the Wisconsin Lambeau Field game and the cancellation of Southern Cal and Stanford games, almost all the appeal of the season is lost for me.

Too bad because with those games and the ACC games in NFL stadiums (Pitt, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech), 2020 was shaping up as a great schedule with great venues.

I know that Jack Swarbrick, the ND administration and alumni/fans are grateful for any assistance, but an all ACC schedule would not just be the same (Granted, much better than an all indy one).

At this point, I would rather ND play a cobbled together schedule or just cancel the season rather than play as a full ACC member, competing for the ACC title for one year.

Anyway, this is all pretty much moot. The odds of a 2020 season are about zero.

Good post. Didn’t know 2 ACC games were moved off campus and Pitt plays at an NFL stadium but that does sound like a great schedule with Ireland. I thought Lambeau was lame and it should be a home and home but we lost a Wisconsin series for absolutely no good reason (both schools were chicken littles and wanted MACtion instead.)

You hold the upper hand in the relationship and your schedule is already ruined. Let’s say Clemson gets added to your slate. Does this stance change? You don’t want the ability to play them again if you lose? Your already a member for basketball so it’s not like your desperately looking for a temporary home.

Good post. Didn’t know 2 ACC games were moved off campus and Pitt plays at an NFL stadium but that does sound like a great schedule with Ireland. I thought Lambeau was lame and it should be a home and home but we lost a Wisconsin series for absolutely no good reason (both schools were chicken littles and wanted MACtion instead.)

You hold the upper hand in the relationship and your schedule is already ruined. Let’s say Clemson gets added to your slate. Does this stance change? You don’t want the ability to play them again if you lose? Your already a member for basketball so it’s not like your desperately looking for a temporary home.
They already have a Clemson game on their schedule this year at South Bend.
It’s ridiculous for Clemson to play at Notre Dame this year and not be allowed to play South Carolina.
Both are supposedly nonconference games.

They aren’t strong arming though.
Using leverage to get better terms is just good business.
I am not saying to ask for the moon but getting more favorable terms ie an extra game each year seems pretty good negotiating.

Our conference blows after Clemson. Both sides would benefit from a 1 year deal with no strings attached. No reason to make demands.

ND might reconsider down the road if they want to play in a CCG. I’m sure they’d place themselves in the Coastal and have the easiest path to a CCG of any P5 program.

You think the ACC should use a pandemic to strong arm a member/partner? Come on.

That said conference games only means conference games only. With no bearing on future deals I’d cut ND free.

But I do think ND hoops would be perfectly content in the NBE. Don’t think the ACC gets much from their hoops program tbh. 5 games a year only matter because we can’t have nice things like Wisconsin series so ND every few years is a overall positive. They kind of contribute more in football with the rotation.

Our conference blows after Clemson. Both sides would benefit from a 1 year deal with no strings attached. No reason to make demands.

ND might reconsider down the road if they want to play in a CCG. I’m sure they’d place themselves in the Coastal and have the easiest path to a CCG of any P5 program.

You think the ACC should use a pandemic to strong arm a member/partner? Come on.

That said conference games only means conference games only. With no bearing on future deals I’d cut ND free. What if Miami runs the table and loses to Clemson or goes 9-1 with no title game and gets left out for ND who went 5-0 vs the same coastal ACC crap? Instead of Clemson and Miami getting into the playoffs ND takes the 4th spot. Plenty of reason to cancel those games and the current deal runs for a while.

But I do think ND hoops would be perfectly content in the NBE. Don’t think the ACC gets much from their hoops program tbh. 5 games a year only matter because we can’t have nice things like Wisconsin series so ND every few years is a overall positive.
The ACC wouldn’t be strong arming anybody.
Leverage is leverage.
Notre Dame wouldn’t hesitate to use it if they could.

Notre Dame isn’t a football member. They don’t deserve any special consideration from the ACc without giving the conference something real in return.

Notre Dame could have gone with Catholic-7 when the Big East blew up. Notre Dame didn’t want to play in their conference as they care about their Olympic sports and those programs suffer with the Catholic-7 as their foundation.
By all means let Notre Dame basketball and Olympic sports go to Big East and Fox.

The addition of ND had very little to do with ACC Network. David Teel is a company guy and in exchange for access to insider information is always friendly to the message the league oftice wants spun out. His article is spin.

I don’t want them full members without ND wanting that.
You know what I want accomplished and I think the ACC has leverage to go from 5 to 6 and that gets the ball rolling towards more.

I doubt that ND will give the ACC another game in perpetuity.

That is a bad trade. One game a year forever for a couple of games in 2020

I am fairly confident that there will not be a 2020 season.

We shall see.

The less teams include the greater chance a Senator or other pol will make things tough.
And how did that work for UConn and Sen. Blumenthal when he was Conn attorney general and sued?

And how did that work for UConn and Sen. Blumenthal when he was Conn attorney general and sued?
UConn fans would argue it kept us in the Big East and they were happy with that.

Orrin Hatch former Senator from Utah threatened the BCS as a violation of anti-trust laws and was protecting his home state of Utah.
The hearings held on this matter scared the BCS commissioners and it’s not a coincidence shortly after Utah was invited into the PAC-12 and Sen. Hatch’s hearings went away.

Politicians can make a difference it just depends on which and what they do.

Too bad Teel made a bunch of mistakes with that article. I once thought he was a decent journalist.

Syracuse has not hosted Notre Dame in Syracuse in the last 6 (or 7) seasons. Notre Same hasn’t played in Syracuse since 2003.

That game was not a sell out.

ND claimed the SU-ND game at Yankee Stadium in 2018 was a sellout, but there were some sections that were largely empty. I think this was a lie.

SU also played ND at MetLife in 2014 and 2016. Neither game was a sell out.

The game in Yankee Stadium was an ND home game, part of their Shamrock Series, that they decided to move to NYC.

ND might have helped some other ACC schools with football sellouts, but since they joined the ACC, they have not been willing to play Syracuse in the Carrier Dome. I am sure we are the last ACC school to host ND since they joined the conference.

This is a tremendously disappointing thing for Syracuse fans. Thank God our new AD understands sports, cares about Syracuse fans and cares about building a winning program. I hope ND honors their word and shows up to play the games scheduled at Syracuse. It is a long time coming. Far too long,

I am sure Desmond Howard is really popular among Notre Dame fans.

Don't mischaracterize my quotes. Go back and re-read my post, stay on point, DO NOT put words in my mouth or assume I intended something other than what I stated.

Too bad Teel made a bunch of mistakes with that article. I once thought he was a decent journalist.

Syracuse has not hosted Notre Dame in Syracuse in the last 6 (or 7) seasons. Notre Same hasn’t played in Syracuse since 2003.

That game was not a sell out.

ND claimed the SU-ND game at Yankee Stadium in 2018 was a sellout, but there were some sections that were largely empty. I think this was a lie.

SU also played ND at MetLife in 2014 and 2016. Neither game was a sell out.

The game in Yankee Stadium was an ND home game, part of their Shamrock Series, that they decided to move to NYC.

ND might have helped some other ACC schools with football sellouts, but since they joined the ACC, they have not been willing to play Syracuse in the Carrier Dome. I am sure we are the last ACC school to host ND since they joined the conference.

This is a tremendously disappointing thing for Syracuse fans. Thank God our new AD understands sports, cares about Syracuse fans and cares about building a winning program. I hope ND honors their word and shows up to play the games scheduled at Syracuse. It is a long time coming. Far too long,

I agree there was some lazy research with the sell-out thing. I will give Notre Dame credit for a few sell-outs, and even for high ticket prices for a few teams like Virginia Tech who would have sold out anyway. And yes, I think Syracuse is going to be the last ACC team to actually host the Irish in their own stadium...

I think the biggest benefit for having the Irish in the ACC - along with that 5-game scheduling agreement - is the ACC Network. I mean, ESPN put the Notre Dame @ Duke game on the ACCN just to promote the network launch - that says a lot, IMO (i.e. ESPN thought it was necessary).

I agree there was some lazy research with the sell-out thing. I will give Notre Dame credit for a few sell-outs, and even for high ticket prices for a few teams like Virginia Tech who would have sold out anyway. And yes, I think Syracuse is going to be the last ACC team to actually host the Irish in their own stadium...

I think the biggest benefit for having the Irish in the ACC - along with that 5-game scheduling agreement - is the ACC Network. I mean, ESPN put the Notre Dame @ Duke game on the ACCN just to promote the network launch - that says a lot, IMO (i.e. ESPN thought it was necessary).
That one game isn’t worth that much.
The ACC/Disney used it a carrot to appease some cable providers. One game isn’t going to get a cable network on providers.

Disney used Disney channel/A&E/ABC/ESPN negotiations to force SEC and ACC on providers.

If ESPN put Notre Dame at Duke on ESPN/ABC it’s not like they make more money off it.
It’s smart carrot and stick negotiating.

If Notre Dame left the conference today the ACC Network would be fine.

While Notre Dame has done nothing to help Syracuse football and in fact has used them as a way to play games in front of their fans in the NYC area, I do agree them being in the conference might have played a small role in helping get ESPN to commit to the ACC network and perhap even help in a small way with network distribution. Their big fan base is with one sport: football and them not including football lessens any contribution they make considerably.

Them being part of the ACC bowl package was supposed to improve things for the ACC in this area. The last go around, ACC did a poor job negotiating to get their rightful place at the table compared to other lesser conferences. As Mark has pointed out, the situation with the big bowls is particularly bad, as the ACC got by far the worst deal of the P5 conferences. Don't see where ND has helped much here. Things are still awful. Maybe they have been responsible for making a really bad situation simply a bad situation.

I am very unhappy Syracuse, the only school that was willing to work with ND to get games scheduled in NYC, got totally boned for their willingness to do this...with ND counting those MetLife games as home games for Syracuse after they joined, which is a total crock. This is why we are the only ACC school that has not hosted ND since they joined the conference.

I will feel a lot better about ND and things in general with that school if that program actually finds its way to the dome and shows up for a few games. They have treated Syracuse football like dirt since the 1960s. That program is very hard to like or even simply to respect.

While Notre Dame has done nothing to help Syracuse football and in fact has used them as a way to play games in front of their fans in the NYC area, I do agree them being in the conference might have played a small role in helping get ESPN to commit to the ACC network and perhap even help in a small way with network distribution. Their big fan base is with one sport: football and them not including football lessens any contribution they make considerably.

Them being part of the ACC bowl package was supposed to improve things for the ACC in this area. The last go around, ACC did a poor job negotiating to get their rightful place at the table compared to other lesser conferences. As Mark has pointed out, the situation with the big bowls is particularly bad, as the ACC got by far the worst deal of the P5 conferences. Don't see where ND has helped much here. Things are still awful. Maybe they have been responsible for making a really bad situation simply a bad situation.

I am very unhappy Syracuse, the only school that was willing to work with ND to get games scheduled in NYC, got totally boned for their willingness to do this...with ND counting those MetLife games as home games for Syracuse after they joined, which is a total crock. This is why we are the only ACC school that has not hosted ND since they joined the conference.

I will feel a lot better about ND and things in general with that school if that program actually finds its way to the dome and shows up for a few games. They have treated Syracuse football like dirt since the 1960s. That program is very hard to like or even simply to respect.
It would be hilarious if Notre Dame had to play at Syracuse this year when no fans would be allowed.
Stanford at Notre Dame October 10th was cancelled by the PAC-12 last week.
2 ACC teams have bye on October 10th the rest have conference games.

Virginia and Syracuse it’s likely one of them replace Stanford. If we have to
play at ND next year we better get something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom