Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Will Covid force Notre Dame to join ACC as a full member?

Those northeasterners watch and care about CFB much less than do Southerners and midwesterners, or even Rocky Mountaineers. That pattern can change only if PSU is in the same league with Cuse, Pitt, BC, and Notre Dame.

The ACC would love that, but there are no signs that PSU would be interested.
Cous is an idealist and doesn’t understand how conferences are about money.
He thinks UMass would be good for the Big Ten. UConn should have gone FBS in football a lot earlier if they wanted into a P5.

Waiting till 1998 screwed their football program. The program doesn’t matter in New England. They have a small following in CT.

Those northeasterners watch and care about CFB much less than do Southerners and midwesterners, or even Rocky Mountaineers. That pattern can change only if PSU is in the same league with Cuse, Pitt, BC, and Notre Dame.

The ACC would love that, but there are no signs that PSU would be interested.
No team can or will leave the B1G. The money is too big and the exit fee is huge. Maybe the ACC will just stay at 15 teams with one division.

Cous is an idealist and doesn’t understand how conferences are about money.
He thinks UMass would be good for the Big Ten. UConn should have gone FBS in football a lot earlier if they wanted into a P5.

Waiting till 1998 screwed their football program. The program doesn’t matter in New England. They have a small following in CT.
If I were the commissioner of the B1G, I would look at UMASS as a franchise that could be developed with an infusion of money and marketing. It is in a state/region that does a lot of advanced research( UMASS itself does as well) B1G gets research bucks, with a lot of very good high school students who will go to major universities somewhere( B1G schools) and has a population of almost 20 million people with 1 P5 team that has no fans at all(virtually). That is what I see.

If I were the commissioner of the B1G, I would look at UMASS as a franchise that could be developed with an infusion of money and marketing. It is in a state/region that does a lot of advanced research( UMASS itself does as well) B1G gets research bucks, with a lot of very good high school students who will go to major universities somewhere( B1G schools) and has a population of almost 20 million people with 1 P5 team that has no fans at all(virtually). That is what I see.
holy shlit.

guess thats my queue to shut it down for the night.

If the season happens it is a big deal. That is a huge if. I am fine with it, but it could turn into a slippery slope..

as much as id want to believe that, i wouldnt be putting my cigar out in my whiskey just yet.

but since i can also see this type of scheduling being the status quo for 2021 too.

a 1st step is correct, but i dont think losing their conference 'virginity' carries that much weight in this pandemic.

however, as we keep going,...that Grant of Rights may just work out.
This scenario has been floating in the back of my mind. However, if things are still bad enough a year from now to use this scheduling model, it probably means this season was not be played at all.

No one in New England will ever gives a rats ass about college football. And UMass is located closer to Albany than it is to Boston.

No one in New England will ever gives a rats ass about college football. And UMass is located closer to Albany than it is to Boston.
Anyone from MA knows I-90 is completely different than Boston.
Nobody in Boston cares about college football and BC is there.
There is no state pride for UMass there are too many colleges in New England.

It’s a pro sports town. All 4 pro teams are huge.

Which is why you aren't commissioner of the Big Ten.

(sorry, couldn't resist. ;))

ZooMass students and alums would absolutely care about the football team if it gave them a reason to. The B1G is realistic anytime soon but the AAC isn’t far-fetched. But I don’t think any move happens unless the school is willing to make serious investments into McGuirk and the football facilities in general.

Outside of football we have a basketball/hockey arena that blows BC’s out of the water, is definitely nicer than the RAC, and in general is on par with plenty of P5s. Put that together with a huge alumni base and more than respectable academics and I think UMass is more attractive than most give it credit for. Just not B1G level right now.

Regardless, we’re not dropping football or moving back down to FCS so the only step to take is getting into a conference. Hopefully it happens in the next round of realignments.

There hasn't been major college football in New England since the Ivy League got out of that level of competition. So there really is nothing to base your assertion on. I just have to imagine that if the UMASS program were funded at the B1G level and had the upgraded facilities and had OSU, MU, PSU, MSU etc. coming there to play, that people there might be interested.

There hasn't been major college football in New England since the Ivy League got out of that level of competition. So there really is nothing to base your assertion on. I just have to imagine that if the UMASS program were funded at the B1G level and had the upgraded facilities and had OSU, MU, PSU, MSU etc. coming there to play, that people there might be interested.
Doug Flutie won the Heisman in the 1980s.

In 2007 Boston College started the season 7-0 and was #2 in the nation and nobody in Boston cared.

UMass is in Amherst. Amherst and Western MA are completely different culturally than Boston.

UMass will never be in the Big Ten.

Will Touchdown Jesus be allowed to attend Notre Dame home games?

Anyone from MA knows I-90 is completely different than Boston.
Nobody in Boston cares about college football and BC is there.
There is no state pride for UMass there are too many colleges in New England.

It’s a pro sports town. All 4 pro teams are huge.

They tend to care about college football when ND comes to Chestnut Hill.

But yeah, on any type of scale, that's it.

Doug Flutie won the Heisman in the 1980s.

In 2007 Boston College started the season 7-0 and was #2 in the nation and nobody in Boston cared.

UMass is in Amherst. Amherst and Western MA are completely different culturally than Boston.

UMass will never be in the Big Ten.
Boston College is a catholic school and all catholics everywhere first loyalty is to Notre Dame in college football. If UMASS were ever 7-0 and ranked #2 in the country, Massachusetts and probably all of New England would be crazy for them. I see as the last potential market that doesn't have a P5 team that generates interest for people to follow. I think they would do a better job growing up to that level than Rutgers has.

You may be over estimating the population a little...

Massachusetts' population: 6,892,503 Coming in at #15

You are still short if you add in:
Connecticut: 3,565,287 (#29)
New Hampshire: 1,359,711 (41)
Maine: 1,344,212 (42)
Rhode Island: 1,059,361 (44)
Vermont: 623,989 (49)

You may be over estimating the population a little...

Massachusetts' population: 6,892,503 Coming in at #15

You are still short if you add in:
Connecticut: 3,565,287 (#29)
New Hampshire: 1,359,711 (41)
Maine: 1,344,212 (42)
Rhode Island: 1,059,361 (44)
Vermont: 623,989 (49)
Almost 15 million, still a large market. In the last expansion the B1G added one lukewarm team, Maryland( with big budget problems), and one weak team, Rutgers. And by doing that, they increased their revenue dramatically because of market expansion.

Dennis Dodd has hated the ACC, and perhaps especially UNC, for at least a couple of decades. He has feared ND as a full member of ACC football since the deal was made to be in as partial for football.

Dodd is an old Big 8 guy. He hates the ACC at least in part because he reveres KU basketball and cannot allow that any league in the South ever could have surpassed the Big Ten and Big 8. He had a huge whine back when the Big XII looked to be dying about how unfair it that KU was within a hair of not being in a Major conference. He also has a history sneering at ND football for its perks, as he sees it.

I think Dodd has resigned himself to the fact that all thing considered, going forward the ACC will usually bet the best conference for basketball, and that ND football does need to be full ACC member and that that will make ACC football perhaps the #2 overall football league. It also will make the ACC's TV deals richer.

Boston College is a catholic school and all catholics everywhere first loyalty is to Notre Dame in college football. If UMASS were ever 7-0 and ranked #2 in the country, Massachusetts and probably all of New England would be crazy for them. I see as the last potential market that doesn't have a P5 team that generates interest for people to follow. I think they would do a better job growing up to that level than Rutgers has.
Since football grew and became a huge money 2-platoon sport, it has been impossible for there to be a Major conference located only in the northeast. That is so because in the region: the NFL is much bigger than CFB; CBB is bigger than CFB; there is much more top basketball talent than football talent. All of it adds up, and it cannot be wished away. What Joe Paterno learned is true: schools located in the northeast that intend to play Major college football must be part of either a conference that is based in the midwest or the South.

I don't subscribe to that philosophy. More teams mean more fan interest and more high school guys wanting to play for those teams. Competition breeds interest in any sport and the opposite is true as well.

Not in football. More parents are keeping their kids away. I would guess especially in the northeast where it's never been quite the way of life that it is in other parts of the country.

I admire your commitment to this bit. It’s Andy Kaufman-esque.

Almost 15 million, still a large market. In the last expansion the B1G added one lukewarm team, Maryland( with big budget problems), and one weak team, Rutgers. And by doing that, they increased their revenue dramatically because of market expansion.
You are correct that the B1G got a payday by adding UM and Rutgers. However, simply adding NE and s not the same, you are comparing apples and bricks. NE I'd six separate states with different mentalities. None are huge in football. The largest city couldn't care less about CFB. Jersey and the DMV produce football players, not so much from the NE states.

Another issue is that the payday the B1G received was before the shift towards cutting the cord. You are assuming they will get the same payday simply based on population numbers.

Sure, the B1G would likely get some bump but nothing like claiming the DMV and the NYC markets.

I admire your commitment to this bit. It’s Andy Kaufman-esque.
While he’s at it, why not also advocate for Marshall to the B1G? Whatever could be wrong with that logic? It is a contiguous state and all.