Will there be a season? | Syracusefan.com

Will there be a season?

Too much $$ not to. Athletic departments will cease to exist.
How much money will some athletic departments lose when they are sued for negligence and wrongful death?

How much money will some athletic departments lose when they are sued for negligence and wrongful death?
1595563808172.png

None. Players, coaches, anyone remotely connected with the team including journalist refs ect.. Will be provided a choice. If they want to participate they will sign a waiver.

Assumption of the risk. Provided the ADs follow the protocols in place, no issues. Plus, given that there is no right answer, it is tough to find a wrong practice.

In my prior practice, I prided myself on defeating Liability Waivers.

Last edited:
Assumption of the risk. Provided the ADs follow the protocols in place, no issues. Plus, given that there is no right answer, it is tough to find a wrong practice.

In my prior practice, I prided myself on defeating Liability Waivers.
One could argue that a wrong practice is one that results in a death. It could go to an unpredictable jury or a predictable out-of-court settlement.

The players are testing positive

Not in the NBA. Because of the bubble. Which is impossible to do in college, so to answer the post question...no, I don’t feel real good about the chances of having a season. Maybe a shortened version of a season that starts sometime in 2021.

None. Players, coaches, anyone remotely connected with the team including journalist refs ect.. Will be provided a choice. If they want to participate they will sign a waiver.

Will players really be given the choice to play?

Or will the ncaa say fine you don’t have to come but you don’t get your scholarship this year. And will they get protected from getting calhouned in the offseason.

The NBA is underway so are other sports. There will be a season

3 of the 4 major sports are underway but are operating in a bubble.

There is only one sport to look at as a comparison if you are not doing a bubble. It is mlb, and even then it is outdoors. Also the players share in the financial rewards for the risk they are taking.

That being said, Big 6 conferences probably have the money to do a bubble for conference season and play 20 games in 40 days.

Most athletic dept's don't have nearly the hoops attendance that we do.
Football is the big beast in terms of revenue.
Hoops ain't nothing in comparison. Too much product availability.

The NBA is underway so are other sports. There will be a season

They don't use unpaid amateurs in the pro sports that are underway. There are massive paychecks in play. If the NCAA tries to force players to play or else take away their scholarships, well it's only a month from now. There will be massive lawsuits, hundreds of them. It will probably also be the end of the amateur system in the NCAA revenue sports, just from an assumption of risk standpoint, if they try to force these kids to play.

Between the Covid-19, the flu and the common cold this winter will be crazy, what happens when an asymptomatic person gets the flu or if they become symptomatic, maybe this is first Corona virus that doesn't get worse in the winter and maybe it's not.

What happens if the only thing that is seasonal about this virus is the death rate? We are at over 1,000 people a day dying in the middle of July...

A lot will rest on whether colleges really reopen for in-person classes, or how long they last. I think it is highly unlikely it takes more than a few weeks before campuses are shut down again, and also highly unlikely we see any college sports until there is a widely-available vaccine.

What a mess. I think at this point you need to cancel the season. The crowd is part of the experience.

You know for soccer it has been alright to have the piped in audience noise. They taped real audiences from past recordings, so if it was a Liverpool home game, you would hear them sing their theme song "You'll Never Walk Alone" during the broadcast, stuff to make the broadcast more real. There would be gasps at near goals, booing at unpopular foul calls, etc., done by someone in the production booth who is attuned to the home and visiting team and how the audience would react.

Makes me think how much I miss so many of the old chants - like the "Who Cares?", etc., during player introductions, or singing the "Amen" song at the end when the victory was finally sealed.

They have sucked such so much of the atmosphere out of games already, that the live experience is only better than watching from home a small handful of times all year long, even counting both revenue sports. I guess I'm getting old, but it's all too much hassle for me now.

For those of you who are tailgate mavens for football, well that is the essence of your experience, ensuring that you will always have a good time, regardless of the outcome of the game. I don't argue with any of that, and tip my hat to you all.

A lot will rest on whether colleges really reopen for in-person classes, or how long they last. I think it is highly unlikely it takes more than a few weeks before campuses are shut down again, and also highly unlikely we see any college sports until there is a widely-available vaccine.

I can tell you that our school's plan has about a million holes in it. Maybe I will be wrong, but I see it being about 90% sure we are online again come Oct. 1. That or about 95% of students go home and that schools are "open" in name only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom