Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St

I agree with most of your assessment. Where we differ in opinion is who Jim is and why Kadary left. Kadary has, very reasonable, NBA hopes. Sitting behind and splitting minutes for another year with Joe is absolutely an issue for his future. He should have been starting and playing 28-30 MPG. That didn't happen. It didn't even happen when Joe was recovering from being sick. I would take issue with that if I were Kadary. It was very clear to him that he was not going to pass Joe in the pecking order and it was not because of himself. He decided to go to a program that he felt would better highlight his skills, and I don't blame him one bit.
This all circles back to the Jim issue. Jim is a stubborn dude. Always has been and always will be. He is always right, just ask him. He's snarky and refuses to admit when he's wrong. Nobody can dispute that. If you dispute that, you're just lying to yourself. Jim isn't for everyone (players/fans/announcers etc.) and it's cost him some very talented players this year.
Kadary certainly can do what he feels in his best interest. He feels like he did. Doesn’t mean he’s right.

Why are so many former players seemingly so grateful to Jim. Why is his name on the jersey of the “alumni team?”

Perhaps those men had the foresight to see the bigger picture. They stuck it out even when it got tough AND the coach told them for the first time that maybe their shiz does stink AND the coach didn’t play them the minutes they felt they deserved AND the coach told them to not shoot a certain shot AND the coach started someone over them that they were certain they were a better player than.

Rather than run away they dedicated themselves to learning from a basketball legend. They worked at becoming smarter, stronger, faster, tougher, a better shooter, a better ball handler, a better rebounder, a better teammate, a better overall basketball player....

Some ppl put in the work to become a Syracuse legend AND some ppl transfer to Seton Hall.

Ppl make decisions everyday.

Kadary certainly can do what he feels in his best interest. He feels like he did. Doesn’t mean he’s right.

Why are so many former players seemingly so grateful to Jim. Why is his name on the jersey of the “alumni team?”

Perhaps those men had the foresight to see the bigger picture. They stuck it out even when it got tough AND the coach told them for the first time that maybe their shiz does stink AND the coach didn’t play them the minutes they felt they deserved AND the coach told them to not shoot a certain shot AND the coach started someone over them that they were certain they were a better player than.

Rather than run away they dedicated themselves to learning from a basketball legend. They worked at becoming smarter, stronger, faster, tougher, better shooter, better ball handler, better rebounder, better teammate, better basketball player...

Some ppl put in the work to become Syracuse legends AND some ppl transfer to Seton Hall. Ppl make decisions everyday.
And those personal decisions are not for you or I to say if they're right. I'm not doubting Jim's knowledge of the game or what he knows. But it is very fair at this point to question the trajectory of the program and the man that's at the helm. Stating with such certainty that playing for Jim Boeheim is the best decision for any kid is just foolish.

Sorry to lose Woody, but with new folks coming in, it was inevitable.
So Kad is going Seat in Hall Closet; hopefully not the bench. If he wants more playing time, he wasn't going to get it at Kentucky or similar suitors. I hope he does better than Carey and Goodine.

Yet he went to Seton Hall. What does that tell you?
I really didn’t want to dwell on this topic anymore but this arguement makes no sense. If our best PG could only go to Seton Hall and not a better school because he isn’t good enough what does that say about the talent on our roster?

there are plenty of talented kids out of HS that don’t go to Kentucky, as stated by others maybe he just wanted to be closer to home. But it’s over now good luck to him and hopefully we can recover and have a decent year.

I really didn’t want to dwell on this topic anymore but this arguement makes no sense. If our best PG could only go to Seton Hall and not a better school because he isn’t good enough what does that say about the talent on our roster?

there are plenty of talented kids out of HS that don’t go to Kentucky, as stated by others maybe he just wanted to be closer to home. But it’s over now good luck to him and hopefully we can recover and have a decent year.
I didn’t say him going to Seton Hall was about talent. Coaches do their due diligence, which includes talking to the previous coach and even the AD.

If he wanted to be closer to home, why even listen to FSU, UK, and Ok. St.? Why pin this 100% on JB?

To me, early in the year Woody was reminding me of the “typical” Syracuse forwards. A guy who could hit the 3, and finish with dunks. 6’7, pretty good athlete. That’s usually our wheelhouse. Seemed like a guy who could be like the Josephs, Fairs, Southerland, etc. down the road. Too bad. Hope we’re hitting the trails hard for 2022.
Looks like we were!!!

then why isn’t he going to either of those schools?

They made the call. That was my point. Good programs had interest quickly. If you want to look down on Seton Hall, that's fine. I get that. Big East is a good league with an opportunity for him to play a big role. Best of luck. I saw a lot of Scoop Jardine or Erich Santifer in his game.

Sorry to lose Woody, but with new folks coming in, it was inevitable.
So Kad is going Seat in Hall Closet; hopefully not the bench. If he wants more playing time, he wasn't going to get it at Kentucky or similar suitors. I hope he does better than Carey and Goodine.

I think he's a talented player. I wish him the best of luck. What I saw of his game, I was super impressed by. 6-8 guy with lateral quickness out at the top of the zone, unlike any defender we've seen before, and the guy can hit threes, and can dribble enough to avoid turnovers and keep the ball moving on offense.

That's Benny's role now. I think we have enough spots in the rotation to find minutes for a guy as talented as Woody. I think he will be one of the better guys who transfers away.

I have no inside info, but I think Woody was done dirty.

To my eyes, he was better than expected before JB was ready for him to be a part of a rotation. He showed that he would make things happen when given minutes. That was unexpected. JB wasn't prepared for Woody to be prepared.
That’s how Jimmy Jr was conceived.

Because who starts the game is about as meaningful as a fart in the wind.

That is, of course, if one has the ability to see the bigger picture.
Then why not start the entire bench if it isn’t meaningful? Why have starters? Your takes are about as meaningful as a fart in the wind.

Rather than run away they dedicated themselves to learning from a basketball legend. They worked at becoming smarter, stronger, faster, tougher, a better shooter, a better ball handler, a better rebounder, a better teammate, a better overall basketball player...

Some ppl put in the work to become a Syracuse legend AND some ppl transfer to Seton Hall.

Ppl make decisions everyday.
Former players had to sit a year: these guys don’t.

Point is, you don't have to be in that predicament. Woody and Kadary don't have to be going elsewhere. Just because other teams face turnover, doesn't mean you don't try to retain your best players. Kadary Richmond was the most talented player on the roster. End of story. Woody Newton clearly should have been playing a bigger role. Tell me right now we are better without those guys.
Players leave programs for all kinds of reasons. You or anyone else here can say definitively why KR or Woody are leaving, therefore everyone’s prescription for keeping them is suspect, and the conclusions that are drawn faulty. We know what they say to the media. We have anecdotal info. We draw conclusions based on our biases.

I’m not arguing that they aren’t good players or that we wouldn’t be better with them. I think they’d have better careers with more success here.

BECAUSE HE SUCKS AND WE SHOULD ALL TRASH HIM NOW!! YAY TEAM!!! SYRACUSE NUMBER 1!!!!
Or maybe we have overrated him or he overrated himself or he wanted to play closer to home or he didn’t want to do the work or Willard promised him something or

this can go on and on - only this weirdly entrenched narrative sucks all the oxygen from other potential reasons until “you’re with KR or Syracuse!” is all that’s left.

Players leave programs for all kinds of reasons. You or anyone else here can say definitively why KR or Woody are leaving, therefore everyone’s prescription for keeping them is suspect, and the conclusions that are drawn faulty. We know what they say to the media. We have anecdotal info. We draw conclusions based on our biases.

I’m not arguing that they aren’t good players or that we wouldn’t be better with them. I think they’d have better careers with more success here.
Or maybe we have overrated him or he overrated himself or he wanted to play closer to home or he didn’t want to do the work or Willard promised him something or

this can go on and on - only this weirdly entrenched narrative sucks all the oxygen from other potential reasons until “you’re with KR or Syracuse!” is all that’s left.
More very cogent thinking on your part.

I agree. These kids aren't stupid. They know what's going on. Kadary and Woody both deserved to be playing more minutes or, in Kadary's case, starting. It was very evident if you aren't one of Jim's chosen few, you aren't getting minutes.
Jimmy should have let Kadary shoot more threes early in the season. He should have played him 45 out of 40 minutes every game. He should have let him draw up plays on the white board during timeouts.

Jimmy should have let Kadary shoot more threes early in the season. He should have played him 45 out of 40 minutes every game. He should have let him draw up plays on the white board during timeouts.
That's exactly the argument guys like me have been making.

Another excellent contribution eagles guy. Well done.

Anyone else sort of surprised to see that he scored 38 points this year? It was so long ago that he played meaningful minutes that I really forgot. What I haven't forgotten though is how he looked like he was an emerging talent. Definitely a shame but, oh well, we move on. At least it's good to see some solid talent coming in.

I laugh at the people saying "OH WOW COLLEGE KIDS THROWING A PARTY, SHOCKER"

One NCAA hockey team got booted from the national tourny this year because kids on their team threw a party. I can't IMAGINE the outrage on this board if that was the case with this team. Wouldn't be singing the same song, that's for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom