Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St

You know how the coaching staff (I.e. JB) should deal with the new environment? Adjust how you construct your rosters and adjust your coaching and build relationships and trust with these kids.
I was listening to Packer and Durham yesterday. They were talking to Bubba Cunningham about Hubert Davis. He discussed a little about their conversation before he got hired and the topic of how important it is to be relatable to the kids now days. Referenced Roy even having a lack of understanding for the kids. I believe this is where Hop was huge for us. In my opinion he had the long standing and chops to be able to talk to JB ands also soften things. Hell if you listen to the Devo pod with Scoop you can hear pieces of it.

I was listening to Packer and Durham yesterday. They were talking to Bubba Cunningham about Hubert Davis. He discussed a little about their conversation before he got hired and the topic of how important it is to be relatable to the kids now days. Referenced Roy even having a lack of understanding for the kids. I believe this is where Hop was huge for us. In my opinion he had the long standing and chops to be able to talk to JB ands also soften things. Hell if you listen to the Devo pod with Scoop you can hear pieces of it.
Agreed. Thanks for passing along what Davis said. I do think Hop is likely gonna be the next Syracuse coach, as long as he can get Washington back to being good in the PAC-12 (at least into the top half of the conference).

Wonder if the Nova board said the same thing about Swider? Or are the recruits that choose to come to Syracuse automatic Alphas because of their great school choice?

Swider wasn't a fit for them defensively. They play an aggressively-switching man to man. He lacked the lateral quickness to do that, and wound up in a lot of mismatches.

In the zone, he'll probably be fine. You don't need as much lateral quickness at the bottom of the zone as you do at the top. I think he'll be a solid rebounder, too.

If Quincy comes back, our front court is in good shape.

I still think we need one more guard, though.

I’ve got a few Step Moms I go to when I’m sad. Or happy. Or alone. They know what I need!

Mikey Day Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Swider wasn't a fit for them defensively. They play an aggressively-switching man to man. He lacked the lateral quickness to do that, and wound up in a lot of mismatches.

In the zone, he'll probably be fine. You don't need as much lateral quickness at the bottom of the zone as you do at the top. I think he'll be a solid rebounder, too.

If Quincy comes back, our front court is in good shape.

I still think we need one more guard, though.
I get it. It's just there are some folks here who essentially call the guys that leave here losers but then also celebrate guys that transfer in. I like to point out the hypocrisy when someone posts something as dumb as that dude did.

When somebody on this board a lot smarter than you or me has told me that the board is monitored by recruits the answer is yes.

I never told you that.

Anyway, best of luck to Huey Lewis Woody Newton in his future endeavors. I genuinely want all these kids to have an amazing college experience wherever that may be. Unless of course it's at Georgetown. Then they can go kick rocks.

Last edited:
but multiple posters calling a current player names and trashing him in multiple threads causing many to be deleted is cool.

be better.
um no. Both are bad
where have I said otherwise?

how can I be better? I didn’t trash anyone nor have the ability to delete posts.

I get it. It's just there are some folks here who essentially call the guys that leave here losers but then also celebrate guys that transfer in. I like to point out the hypocrisy when someone posts something as dumb as that dude did.

Just to play devil's advocate, the opposite is also true. Some posters claim players leaving are lottery picks and future NBA stars while the guys coming in are cast offs who'll never amount to much.

Just to be clear, I'm not accusing you of doing this.

Yep, the days of “program guys” appear to be over.
on the day marek announces his leaving this is funny...

I think it is just a matter of communication and expectations...maybe you get the "glue" guys as 4 year players intentionally. tell them upfront this is your role...is that okay?

I think theres more negotation and expectations going on that the public realizes...which explains a lot of playing time that doesnt make sense to us as fans...but that is how the coaches get players to commit in the first place, so their hands are tied and they obviously cant admit it in public...even if they would like to...

somehow either gotta get guys who are cool with whatever role or figure a way to leave the roles open enough to let players fight for it...

Thats why you are seeing Duke and UK struggle...they dont really get the program guys...or if they do they dont play and the team dynamic doesnt work as well...UNLESS they have a anthony davis once a decade type player then it works. And the loyola's able to make an impact ...they use only program guys and if they get it right...it works.

Program guys are still very valuable but it is harder to get them perhaps now for a school like SU...they have to be very selective and targeted for those players in ways they might not have to ever before.

furthermore, I think since every team needs some "glue guys" it makes a lot of sense for the center to be that type of player...we have seen recent su teams have centers who are like this...to the dismay of fans who realize that for the team to reach the top of the sport it must have a center who can contribute offensively. I wonder how much is intentional in terms of not having centers who hve done much on offense...

personally, and I imagine I am not alone, I would prefer every player be a dangerous weapon...easier said than done but all things considered and previously mentioned, I still think that is the best way to build a champ level team.

Last edited:
Any news on which schools have reached out to him?
I haven’t heard any rumors.

If history means anything, he is not going to a blue blood type school.

I can’t remember any player ever transferring from the Syracuse basketball program to a program that could be perceived as better. It is always a significant step down.

But I have only been a fan since 1972 or 1973. Maybe I have forgotten someone. Hope Woody breaks historical trends and gets a chance to play at Duke or Kentucky. Seemed like a promising player who could have helped us. I wish him well wherever he ends up.

Best of luck to Woody, he had a future here I thought.
In any event, hope his next destination works out for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom