Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Woody Newton transferring to Oklahoma St

Yeah.

Nowadays I think he gets pretty fixated on what guys are going to do, and coaches to that unless he's forced to do legitimately anything else.
People become more risk-averse in their old age. It’s biology. And JB has become very risk-averse. It seems to me he is afraid to take chances that could backfire, even if they have a huge upside.

Tells me he feels more comfortable being at SH...what does THAT tell you?
I don't think it tells us anything. Maybe he just wanted to be closer to home?

Sorry to waste everyone's time, but I need to share this, and my wife already has had enough of my crap.

For whatever reason, I always think this kid's name is Huey Lewis? Like, you know, this guy ...

1617802683797.png

I dont know if its because of Huey Newton, or Huey Lewis and the News, or some combination of the two (three)? :confused:

But anyway, there you go.

Sorry to waste everyone's time, but I need to share this, and my wife already has had enough of my crap.

For whatever reason, I always think this kid's name is Huey Lewis? Like, you know, this guy ...

View attachment 199516

I dont know if its because of Huey Newton, or Huey Lewis and the News? :confused:

But anyway, there you go.
You really should have prefaced that with the old John Cleese line, "and now for something completely different..."

Boehiem needs to go the Roy Williams route...the game has passed him by in as far as dealing with todays athletes ... if he treated/talked to his players like he treats/talks to Buddy not as many kids would be looking to leave.

whats that say about the kids coming in?

Boehiem needs to go the Roy Williams route...the game has passed him by in as far as dealing with todays athletes ... if he treated/talked to his players like he treats/talks to Buddy not as many kids would be looking to leave.
Taking the Boeheim home out of the discussion... how does JB talk to Buddy that is different than he does to other players?

Taking the Boeheim home out of the discussion... how does JB talk to Buddy that is different than he does to other players?
There seems to be a lack of screaming or histrionics directed at Buddy after he makes mistakes similar to what others have done that result in a sideline dress down. And JB never calls out Buddy's lapses in the zone during pressers.

There seems to be a lack of screaming or histrionics directed at Buddy after he makes mistakes similar to what others have done that result in a sideline dress down. And JB never calls out Buddy's lapses in the zone during pressers.
I’ve always thought JB does a pretty good job adjusting his coaching to the personalities and temperaments of the players. Not right away, though. Seems to take a year or so for him to get to know what buttons to push. In Buddy’s case, he already knows him. Has mentioned his lack of confidence. It could be what you see as favoritism is simply how JB feels he needs to be handled. We certainly have had players in the past who have been treated that way. Other kids, well, require other methods. You may be right. I just don’t see it that way.

Last edited:
Problem is that those players you listed waited their turns. They played sparingly (to various degrees) in their early years, growing into full time starters and key cogs on some great teams. It appears that career track is no longer going to be normal in college basketball. Doesn't matter who the coach is, if a kid doesn't start and/or play big minutes right away, they will transfer. At least it appears that way.

CJ Fair played less minutes per game and started fewer games as a freshman than Kadary did, for example.

I'm not sure how a coaching staff is supposed to deal with this new environment, but it will not be easy. We will live to see the CJ Fairs of the world learn a little bit with us and then blossom into stars for other teams. By the same token, their CJ Fairs will blossom on our roster instead of where they started, I suppose.
The main difference I see here is that CJ as a Fresh was the 3rd forward on a great team sitting mainly behind Kris Joseph. Winning at a huge clip and sitting behind perhaps the best player on the team is probably a lot easier to justify to yourself than what Woody and more specifically Kadary's situation were. Neither of their situations was more likely than not to change next year. Kadary was unlikely to start over Joe though he possibly(probably?) would avg more mpg and Woody was still likely behind Benny, Cole, Jimmy Jr and either of Q or AG if they return. Cole coming in likely pushed him out the door as his chance to be the 1st wing off the bench likely went out the window regardless of Q/AG decisions.

Let me ask this question about the transfers (Woody, Kadary and all) and JAB. Do you think that if the players in question showed any interest about coming back for 2021 that Boeheim would have gone after the transfers as quick that he did?

If Braswell and Newton implied that they would both be back, do you think that Swider would be coming here?

Symir stated that if certain players were leaving, he would jump to come aboard. If Kadary had not left, he probably would not had come aboard.

With respect to Woody, he is a good shooter. Not sure if he could rebound or play defense. If during his exit interview, Boeheim expressed that and how he need to improve and probably that Benny Williams would be ahead of him for a starting position. Woody could have taken that as a challenge and worked hard over the summer to improve those areas that need improvements. He could have come back ready to meet the challenge. That was not to be.

His competition at the time of the exit interview was Braswell, Griffin and Williams. He probably already knew that Bras was gone and Griffin had pro aspirations. He waited to see what would happened and saw Swider was coming in.

He choose to leave instead of compete. Best of luck to him.

Let me ask this question about the transfers (Woody, Kadary and all) and JAB. Do you think that if the players in question showed any interest about coming back for 2021 that Boeheim would have gone after the transfers as quick that he did?

If Braswell and Newton implied that they would both be back, do you think that Swider would be coming here?

Symir stated that if certain players were leaving, he would jump to come aboard. If Kadary had not left, he probably would not had come aboard.

With respect to Woody, he is a good shooter. Not sure if he could rebound or play defense. If during his exit interview, Boeheim expressed that and how he need to improve and probably that Benny Williams would be ahead of him for a starting position. Woody could have taken that as a challenge and worked hard over the summer to improve those areas that need improvements. He could have come back ready to meet the challenge. That was not to be.

His competition at the time of the exit interview was Braswell, Griffin and Williams. He probably already knew that Bras was gone and Griffin had pro aspirations. He waited to see what would happened and saw Swider was coming in.

He choose to leave instead of compete. Best of luck to him.

It's been well known for quite some time that there was going to be a mass exodus at the end of the season. The transfers are the fix to the issue, not the cause of it.

Tells me he feels more comfortable being at SH...what does THAT tell you?
That he wanted to be closer to home and/or the bigger programs lost interest.

What we really need is for Juli to adopt every player. That’s not an NCAA violation, is it?

My son knows what I’m thinking and I can shoot him a glance that conveys things another kid might not understand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom