Woody Newton | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Woody Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting there is no news here yet. Holding out hope. If the tea leaves are wrong and Woody comes back that would be a major win. Based on the comments about 2-3 more transfers I am figuring he is one though.

So you don’t care when 90 pct of the team isn’t returning next year ?
I would not say that I do not care. I am a fan. I yell at the TV and get into the games. I have been a fan since an early age and am 36 now.

I don't lose sleep over kids leaving however. To be honest, I am not on Syracuse university payroll nor am I an alumni or donor to the university.

It occured to me that these guys are getting much interest. I mean as much as the hive mind here at the Fan despises Boeheim and think he's a loser old man trying to coach, actual coaches across the country know him and respect him and don't think much about average players causing drama in a program. There are an awful lot of good players to choose from for top programs. I would have a list of reasons to throw names out and winnow the candidates. I mean corporations use peoples social media writings when hiring.

This continuing to check what's up with Woody is getting crazy. I suspect he may have some parents looking over his shoulder saying "you had better have a full scholarship guarantee" wherever you are going to transfer. Probably the reason for the delay.

I get it.

People also should understand that JB leaving combined with a small, private school in upstate by that has never really opened the wallet in a big way for a coach, that is out-of-place in a southern conference (that in and of itself hasn’t been very good the past few years), might end up having a tough time cranking it back up to the level of the first half of the 2010s. Could happen with the right hire. The future for programs like ours could be much closer to Indiana or UCLA (prior to this run) than to Michigan or Bama (assuming oats is around).

I could be wrong, but for everyone who hates JB — and lots of folks do, let’s face it — I actually hope they right and the only issue we have is a 76-year-old coach who’s lost something off the fastball. I truly, genuinely hope that’s the correct narrative.
Honestly, if Mark Few can build Gonzaga stuck all the way up in Spokane,WA playing in the WCC into a national powerhouse, it should be no trouble to rebuild Syracuse post-JB with the right hire.

NCAABB is now re-stock every year...no more slow boil roster builds.

Unless you are in quad 4 and forced to do that...but even they are just gonna lose whoever bubbles up in their programs...really gonna suck for them even more than the p5s.

Honestly, if Mark Few can build Gonzaga stuck all the way up in Spokane,WA playing in the WCC into a national powerhouse, it should be no trouble to rebuild Syracuse post-JB with the right hire.
With the right hire everything is great. Agreed. I would argue that the suckitude of hoops west of the Mississippi hasn’t hurt, but I completely agree. Assuming we make the right hire, particularly if we don’t want to spend a ton, is the question. I feel there are a lot of folks here who assume you just go get the hot mid-major name and we’re back in the final four the next season. That may sound like an exaggeration but I truly believe a lot of folks here think that way. That is where I’m less optimistic.

With the right hire everything is great. Agreed. I would argue that the suckitude of hoops west of the Mississippi hasn’t hurt, but I completely agree. Assuming we make the right hire, particularly if we don’t want to spend a ton, is the question. I feel there are a lot of folks here who assume you just go get the hot mid-major name and we’re back in the final four the next season. That may sound like an exaggeration but I truly believe a lot of folks here think that way. That is where I’m less optimistic.
Option 1. Hire a known name away from another program (20% chance)
Option 2. Hire an up and coming coach (40% chance and this is what I’d like to see)
Option 3. Promote an assistant (40% chance and this is what I don’t want to see)

Option 2. Hire an up and coming coach (40% chance and this is what I’d like to see)
Option 3. Promote an assistant (40% chance and this is what I don’t want to see)

Only way I'm ok with option 3 is if we turn the corner into a top 20 team next year. Odds are not favorable for that so..

We’ll see. I’m guessing option 3 as well but I’m hoping for 1 or 2 so I’m not in a thorough depression coming to the board for four years. Lol

Hello Woody. Won’t you stay a little bit longer please ,please ,PLEASE

Mark Few has the same number of final fours in his entire career as JB does just in the time since he forgot how to coach. And Few is one of the best in the nation.

Mark Few has the same number of final fours in his entire career as JB does just in the time since he forgot how to coach. And Few is one of the best in the nation.
Incorrect.

Few has 2 final fours.

Boeheim has 1 since he forgot how to coach. He still knew how to coach when the MCW team made it.

Only way I'm ok with option 3 is if we turn the corner into a top 20 team next year. Odds are not favorable for that so..
Me too, but I would add a caveat: if the 2022 class is a game changer, then continuity may be important.

Well, if both Jimmy Boeheim and Cole Swider transfer in and Benny Williams arrives, where in the rotation does that leave Woody Newron? My answer would be behind all three of these players and that does not include the possibility that Quincy (small) and Alan (slight) return.

As much as I would like Woody to stay, the writing is on the wall, it is time to move on. The best he could be here next year would be 2nd forward of the bench.

Which program, Syracuse or Gonzaga, is in better shape right now?
Probably Gonzaga. I don't know how Few does it. I'd find it hard to watch a team that plays 2 meaningful conference games a year.

Well, if both Jimmy Boeheim and Cole Swider transfer in and Benny Williams arrives, where in the rotation does that leave Woody Newron? My answer would be behind all three of these players and that does not include the possibility that Quincy (small) and Alan (slight) return.

As much as I would like Woody to stay, the writing is on the wall, it is time to move on. The best he could be here next year would be 2nd forward of the bench.
He would have a chance to play for at least 10-15 minutes and at that point he could show his game and if he is as good as he thinks he is, take playing time from the other guys. Is he going to get a better role than that at a major program somewhere, I doubt it.

Probably Gonzaga. I don't know how Few does it. I'd find it hard to watch a team that plays 2 meaningful conference games a year.

I think the allure of power conferences is fading a bit. If you can put guys into the NBA and get them paid, that's all that matters.

Whether it be for Duke, Cuse, Zags, Weber St, G-League Ignite.

The goal is to get into the NBA and get paid. It's just which stepping stone you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom