Class of 2014 - WR Jamal Custis (PA) Offered | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 WR Jamal Custis (PA) Offered

Honestly I was hoping Moore would move to tackle and possibility of Provo going to fullback

We really don't have a fullback. Clay Cleveland gets a little run but I see Provo playing HBack; a TE, FB combo - they'll move him around.

Honestly I was hoping Moore would move to tackle and possibility of Provo going to fullback

-
OK we had no DEs so Thompson gets moved. Maybe Provo does go back to a power position which isn't the worse thing that could happen. It seems as though AAM has been forgotten or incapable of contributing at this point. Sure its hard to get on the field with Jerome and the Prince ahead of him. GivingDMF and Morris some opportunity is is good for next year and maybe one can surprise us

Thompson wasn't outgrowing the TE position. We simply had no defensive ends and he was the player that projected the best at defensive end. It was a good move because A) the TE has been removed from our offense (tongue in cheek as I think gmac is starting to rediscover the position) and B) we have Batten AND Provo redshirting. People seem to forget about Provo.

Josh Parris - redshirt frosh
Kendall Moore - true frosh
Batten - redshirting
Provo - redshirting

Perhaps you're right. However, it was reported here by some folks that usually know these things, that he was indeed outgrowing the position. Personally, I have no idea. I thought I read he was getting near 265 and still growing?

Perhaps you're right. However, it was reported here by some folks that usually know these things, that he was indeed outgrowing the position. Personally, I have no idea. I thought I read he was getting near 265 and still growing?

Honestly when I see him on the field he sure as hell doesn't look like a TE ... he looks bigger than I thought he would be.

I guess it depends on what 'growing out of the position' means. Thompson is listed at 6-4 268. Seems like good TE size.

Kendal Moore 6-6 250
Josh Parris 6-2 255
Tyler Provo 6-0 246
Beckett Wales 6-3 255
PJ Batten 6-3 218

I guess it depends on what 'growing out of the position' means. Thompson is listed at 6-4 268. Seems like good TE size.

Kendal Moore 6-6 250
Josh Parris 6-2 255
Tyler Provo 6-0 246
Beckett Wales 6-3 255
PJ Batten 6-3 218

OK...now I have to say you're high. 270 and still growing is NOT a tight end in any league. You're just being stubborn as there are not many (any) TEs that could end up at 280+. You have to project down the road with young guys and you are just digging your heels in.

I dont see how someone can look at Thompson and say he is not over weight for TE. He is starting to look like a DT to me. He seems like same size of the kid that wore #13 for us last year. lol. He is a chunky 268. He is not the 4 star TE that we saw his juinor year.

I dont see how someone can look at Thompson and say he is not over weight for TE. He is starting to look like a DT to me. He seems like same size of the kid that wore #13 for us last year. lol. He is a chunky 268. He is not the 4 star TE that we saw his juinor year.
The question is, did he intentionally bulk-up after his switch to the DL?

I think he's intentionally bulking up because he's now a defensive end.

Thompson is a lot closer to 285 than 268, which is his listed weight. I really, really like him at DE.

Thompson is a lot closer to 285 than 268, which is his listed weight. I really, really like him at DE.

to me a guy at 285 has outgrown the TE position

to me a guy at 285 has outgrown the TE position

Well yeah maybe now he's too big. But do you think they moved him because he was out growing the position or because we had 2 healthy defensive ends coming out of spring ball ?

He wouldn't be 285 if he were still playing TE.

I had heard a little bit of both Phat. His weight was up there due to injury and rehab, as he spent a lot of time in the weight room and obviously not as much doing cardio. He's a big kid by nature - look at the size of his quads and glutes.

He's also a damn good athlete and played both sides of the ball in HS. Ron wanted play ASAP, and made a mutual decision with the staff to play DE.

I think he can play DE at the next level. He's really strong, has a great first step, and holds up really, really well at the point of attack. Once he learns how to use his hands better and the finer points of the position, he could be a force out there.

He has all the tools to be a top 3 or 4 round pick in the NFL, with a high ceiling.

Perhaps we should start talking about Custis again. It is his thread after all.

Relax about the new offer stuff, he's completely committed.

Does that work? ;)

It works. I'll admit I was having fun reading the fierce posting about the TE group and Ron Thompson moving to DE.

Maybe bnoro can corroborate this, but what probably helps in keeping Custis is the fact that he may be able to be a walk-on on the basketball team, as well.