Class of 2024 - WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 WR Syair Torrence (NY: CBA) Committed to BC

I’m a bit baffled. Why offer a kid so early to then “run him off?”

I am missing something yet again.
Pretty clearly he got an offer because he was

1) local
2) related to Symir

(And a 3 star)

Well, one of those things changed and that’s probably why he decided to leave. That’s his choice.

I never said they would of come here just because they were local. My point is there is a lot of talent here in our own backyard that was never offered and were not good enough to crap on 3 star recruits like the post I responded to when don't land 4 or 5 stars recruits. SU looks at tape, other teams go to games with proven recruiters and deeper pockets.
Ehh. When I start seeing NY coaches start to push some of their higher quality guys our way, then I will be fine taking more flyers on some of their lessor talent. Until then, you farm NJ, Florida, PA, Balt/DC. Why? Because the the talent pool is larger increasing odds we will get some better talent. By the way love Jobity and Perry is going to be a heck of a player. There is a talented DB we are also pursuing who played with Perry I think. Building a Buffalo pipe. Why? Because they honor their commitments and they are talented.

Seems like a lot of guessing going on. Doesn’t sound like anyone knows the real story. Have to say the hometown hero comment was a bit weird. Not sure what he was trying to convey there.

My best guess at the situation is he’s still interested in Syracuse. Partly because of what went on with his brother made him realize he should keep his options open. It’s so early yet. Why not explore other possibilities and build some other relationships and see what is out there. He Got offered from Mich St and wants to check it out.

The fact he said after having a talk with Dino makes this sound much better in my opinion. I think he communicated with Dino what he was felling and Dino gave him some advice and he’s acting on it. While being committed to SU isn’t how it should be done if he wants to go on other visits. So he decommitted and is going to find out what is out there and be sure where he wants to go. No sense in wondering what you really want later at the last second and then we lose him then. We want him to find out now.

Maybe he’ll come back, maybe he won’t.

And I don’t get the stretch offer comments. This recruitment isn’t over. And I think he’s is a very solid prospect.

Last edited:
A lot of over reactions going on here. First, Torrence is absolutely a kid SU needs to be landing. He will be a quality P5 contributor and is coming from a backyard that is barren.

I think this has more to do with the MSU offer and Torrence wanting to explore his options. Dino likely have him the hard truth that that is not a “commitment”. I don’t think NiL is involved here nor does this have to do with his brother. Dino has had similar conversations with other recruits.

I don’t think this situation is a good or bad thing necessarily and there is a lot we’re guessing at.

Am I the only one that feels like Syracuse is a Farm Team in College Football? Our recruiting has been average to above average (which HCDB and staff have done well with the last few years).

A player gets established and starts to shine and then goes to another team. We can’t seem to keep any of the potentially good players in NYS. I don’t see how we can ever compete. I hope something changes or this misery will only continue to get worse. I am not normally such. Debbi Downer, but the bad news here recently has outweighed the good news.

I’m a bit baffled. Why offer a kid so early to then “run him off?”

I am missing something yet again.
Why do you think he was run off? His coach and team were invited and visited for Spring Practice and the Spring Game. There are a number of his team mates that have been invited for Spring Camp and Bruce Williams has been very positive on Twitter about the SU coaching staff. Interestingly this decommitment announcement came right after Sirvocea got drafted and came back for an alumni visit at CBA.

Does anyone actually know why he is leaving
He went to see about a girl and is leaving for Washington while saying..."How you like them apples?" Figures, apples not oranges.

Losing the 2024 recruiting a local recruit that committed and that commitment was accepted stings a bit but let's see how this turns out, lots of ebbs and flows.

I think what we are seeing is a further breakdown of the college sports system. Commitments just don’t mean much.

See ya dude! I mean home town hero. :rolleyes: Moving on...just like Sy.
IMG_4720.gif

A lot of over reactions going on here. First, Torrence is absolutely a kid SU needs to be landing. He will be a quality P5 contributor and is coming from a backyard that is barren.

I think this has more to do with the MSU offer and Torrence wanting to explore his options. Dino likely have him the hard truth that that is not a “commitment”. I don’t think NiL is involved here nor does this have to do with his brother. Dino has had similar conversations with other recruits.

I don’t think this situation is a good or bad thing necessarily and there is a lot we’re guessing at.
Yup. Pretty sure that’s the case here. Dino doesn’t want kids to say they’re committed if they’re not sure and want to be on other visits. And it’s the right thing for both parties.

Can knock Dino for a lot of things. But he’s genuine and honest with recruits.

How is this different? There was never any point in looking seriously at the commits until January. Same as it ever was.
More common.

I’d rather be a 4-8 team with local stars that stayed home than a 4-8 team with Florida kids that the good schools didn’t want.

Am I the only one that feels like Syracuse is a Farm Team in College Football? Our recruiting has been average to above average (which HCDB and staff have done well with the last few years).

A player gets established and starts to shine and then goes to another team. We can’t seem to keep any of the potentially good players in NYS. I don’t see how we can ever compete. I hope something changes or this misery will only continue to get worse. I am not normally such. Debbi Downer, but the bad news here recently has outweighed the good news.
There’s only like 2-3 good NYS players a year (mostly downstate) and 3-4 colleges competing for them (Penn state, Syracuse, Rutgers, and to an extent Pittsburgh). Most of them haven’t grown up dreaming of playing Syracuse football so it’s still an uphill battle. Just because we are fans from NYS doesn’t mean everyone is.

As for the farm team comment, that probably is true, as it will be for most of the teams ranked 35-60 in the power 5. This will not be a uniquely Syracuse problem.

Well that’s definitely the glass half full outlook on it :)
Reading her comment makes me think the conversation with Babers was one of those "if you aren't sure about your commitment go take all your OVs and then make a commitment".

After seeing what happened to Symir with his journey of schools and Syair having committed so early this scenario makes the most sense to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom