WWE Thread | Page 108 | Syracusefan.com

WWE Thread

Daniel Bryan is still the best wrestler in the world. I’d be a lot more interested in WWE if he was around and in a big spot. Just watched his match from last night…man, he’s the best.

He's had great matches and is great. Not sure if he has that well used by AEW his first year though (say up to October 2022) even with the match quality -- he lost a lot of matches, and while the Bryant / Mox match was fine and he had some great moments in his first 4 or 5 months, I thought there was a significant amount of time in most of 2022 that he was not highlighted enough or his matches were maybe not high card enough overall.

He did have one match against Page (or was that Omega?) where you thought there was a small chance he might win the title (early 2022 I think)... but since then has never been a guy that you thought would win the title -- even now its pretty clear that he is just going to put MJF over somehow in a great match.

None of this is to suggest he would have been better used if he hung around the WWE instead - he almost certainly would not have been. But I feel given the AEW product and how they do things he could have starred a bit more.

Last edited:
So a strange conversation in the ring between Rhodes and Zayn tonight. To be honest it seemed a bit confusing as to how it fit into either's storyline or why they did it on the surface.

But on further thought, I think it was a clever way for the WWE to sort of measure up the crowd reaction for the two of them by putting them side by side -- helps them try to figure out the path to WM and how the crowd may react, and if the crowd may turn against Cody for example.

Unlike say Batista/Danielson heading into WM 2014 (where they immediately hated the pushed Batista), the crowd was really into both -- more into Zayn -- but no indication that they wanted nothing with Cody either.

So a strange conversation in the ring between Rhodes and Zayn tonight. To be honest it seemed a bit confusing as to how it fit into either's storyline or why they did it on the surface.

But on further thought, I think it was a clever way for the WWE to sort of measure up the crowd reaction for the two of them by putting them side by side -- helps them try to figure out the path to WM and how the crowd may react, and if the crowd may turn against Cody for example.

Unlike say Batista/Danielson heading into WM 2014 (where they immediately hated the pushed Batista), the crowd was really into both -- more into Zayn -- but no indication that they wanted nothing with Cody either.

Yeah it's definitely different than the Batista thing. In 2014 they had to go with Bryan. The people would've revolted. Now? I do think Sami is more over right now, but Cody is very over, he's the guy they've been building. And I really just can't see Sami beating Roman for the titles.

I still assume the finish is going to be Jey turning on Sami, them beating him down after the match, and KO making the save to set up the tag title switch at mania. I wonder if they could do something where Cody beats Roman at mania, and then maybe Sami gets a win over Roman at Summerslam to totally finish that story? I'm just not sure A) Sami will still be close to as hot then as he is now, and B) Roman will eat 2 losses in relatively short order.

Yeah it's definitely different than the Batista thing. In 2014 they had to go with Bryan. The people would've revolted. Now? I do think Sami is more over right now, but Cody is very over, he's the guy they've been building. And I really just can't see Sami beating Roman for the titles.

I still assume the finish is going to be Jey turning on Sami, them beating him down after the match, and KO making the save to set up the tag title switch at mania. I wonder if they could do something where Cody beats Roman at mania, and then maybe Sami gets a win over Roman at Summerslam to totally finish that story? I'm just not sure A) Sami will still be close to as hot then as he is now, and B) Roman will eat 2 losses in relatively short order.
The only real risk is that the fans at some point turn on Cody.

One key is that Cody fits the image of a perfect corporate spokesman, which they want.

One key is that Cody fits the image of a perfect corporate spokesman, which they want.

Based on his run in AEW, it's probably less a risk than an inevitably.

Heyman did tell the Uso's (via Jimmy) not to bother coming to Montreal this weekend. That will at a minimum be the cover for Jimmy Uso not being there - he is not allowed into Canada. It still does allow for Jay Uso to get involved. It does seem like that tag team match is the path for WM.

I posted a number of posts back that I do expect them to go back to Sami-Romans at some point. Way too much money with this for the WWE not to drag it out as much as possible until fans get tired of it. That's the WWE way.

Could be SummerSlam. My speculation was Roman goes away for a while (rumours are he wants a break) - he then puts a "hit" on Sami while away, and Sami is "injured" in story line for 3 to 4 months. At some point the titles de-unify, Roman wins the title near end of 2022, or 2023 Royal Rumble. Sami comes back from injury and wins 2023 Royal Rumble.

It might not be as hot as it now, but have a few breaks, an injury angle its easy to get ramped up again - especially if Sami gets screwed a few times long the way. And they make a lot more business out of it.

Don't view it as exclusively a Cody issue.

Pretty much every top face in the business has had a turn as a heel in the past 3 years. Very rare for somebody to stay at the top for a 2-3 year period exclusively as a face in WWE or AEW. Its just hard to do - fans eventually get tired.

The problem with Cody is he was resisting the change and only wanted to stay face - his shelf life as a face is a bit more limited to his presentation. At some point you have to accept the turn

Don't view it as exclusively a Cody issue.

Pretty much every top face in the business has had a turn as a heel in the past 3 years. Very rare for somebody to stay at the top for a 2-3 year period exclusively as a face in WWE or AEW. Its just hard to do - fans eventually get tired.

The problem with Cody is he was resisting the change and only wanted to stay face. At some point you have to accept the turn.
Especially if the fans are the ones pushing it. Which is not (yet) the case with Cody. The bookers know they can't risk fans turning on him, and they're taking pains to prevent it.

Based on his run in AEW, it's probably less a risk than an inevitably.

AEW was pulling him / letting him go in all kinds of directions and misdirections. Which they do with many of their wrestlers. Too many things going on, while at times nothing "crucial" going on. Typical Tony Khan stuff.

WWE has kept his story very focused and very simple. He's coming to win a title that his dad never won -- that's the story they have stuck too. And obviously an injury is never good but the injury was a positive in 3 regards:
1) He was hot when he got injured... and he is hot when he came back. If he had been around on screen for 12 months in a row, he could be stale especially with the way the WWE programs. Sometimes the best thing for a wrestler in the WWE is to avoid over exposure and the injury allowed that.
2) All his PPV matches so far have been great and memorable -- because there were only 4 of them so far.
3) His wrestling with the pec injury, gave him so much goodwill and brand equity as a character which made him even hotter when he returned

It's

Especially if the fans are the ones pushing it. Which is not (yet) the case with Cody. The bookers know they can't risk fans turning on him, and they're taking pains to prevent it.

I don't know if they are taking much pains to protect him now - they have the luxury of running a simple "real" story for him that is somewhat compelling.

His AEW experience occurred with him being featured for over 2 years. Put Cody in Tony Khan's booking system of trying to have all kinds of things going on at the same time, and you are asking for trouble when he gets out there on the mic. Thinking back to one of his last promo's on AEW (January 2022?) where he just seemingly went off tangent on multiple things for 10 minutes.

Fans are not turning against him anytime soon, because he has not been overexposed on WWE TV - thanks to the injury. Essentially he has only been around in small spurts so far which works for him. I do think if there plan in March 2022 was to get Cody all the way to the title as a face in March 2023, and there had been no injury, it may not have worked.

Post title win (if he does win) - it could be problematic after a period of time.

Last edited:
Heyman did tell the Uso's (via Jimmy) not to bother coming to Montreal this weekend. That will at a minimum be the cover for Jimmy Uso not being there - he is not allowed into Canada. It still does allow for Jay Uso to get involved. It does seem like that tag team match is the path for WM.

I posted a number of posts back that I do expect them to go back to Sami-Romans at some point. Way too much money with this for the WWE not to drag it out as much as possible until fans get tired of it. That's the WWE way.

Could be SummerSlam. My speculation was Roman goes away for a while (rumours are he wants a break) - he then puts a "hit" on Sami while away, and Sami is "injured" in story line for 3 to 4 months. At some point the titles de-unify, Roman wins the title near end of 2022, or 2023 Royal Rumble. Sami comes back from injury and wins 2023 Royal Rumble.

It might not be as hot as it now, but have a few breaks, an injury angle its easy to get ramped up again - especially if Sami gets screwed a few times long the way. And they make a lot more business out of it.
Fwiw, Meltzer was saying he was under the impression the Uso's would be able to get into Canada now. I guess we'll see. It wasn't totally clear from tv, but I thought Paul was telling Jimmy to not be there for Smackdown on Friday (also in Montreal). But could be for both shows.

Roman doesn't work much anyway, I could definitely see him taking time off after Mania. And I think it would make sense; the spotlight will be on Cody for a while, Roman should be off tv for a bit.

They’ll be booing him by Summerslam.

Fwiw, Meltzer was saying he was under the impression the Uso's would be able to get into Canada now. I guess we'll see. It wasn't totally clear from tv, but I thought Paul was telling Jimmy to not be there for Smackdown on Friday (also in Montreal). But could be for both shows.

Roman doesn't work much anyway, I could definitely see him taking time off after Mania. And I think it would make sense; the spotlight will be on Cody for a while, Roman should be off tv for a bit.

I was looking at "Cagematch" database and have yet to see Jimmy Uso wrestle a match in Canada since the beginning of 2022, and there are a number of house shows here.

I remember him not being permitted at the Smackdown Montreal show earlier this year or at the Clash at the Castle in Wales.

At the same time since October 30th, he has wrestled in UK, Netherlands, Germany and Saudi Arabia.

Not exactly sure how these rules work - if there is a general agreement across various countries, or ifs done country by country.

I was looking at "Cagematch" database and have yet to see Jimmy Uso wrestle a match in Canada since the beginning of 2022, and there are a number of house shows here.

I remember him not being permitted at the Smackdown Montreal show earlier this year or at the Clash at the Castle in Wales.

At the same time since October 30th, he has wrestled in UK, Netherlands, Germany and Saudi Arabia.

Not exactly sure how these rules work - if there is a general agreement across various countries, or ifs done country by country.

Yeah it's definitely been a thing in the past. I was surprised to hear him say that. And he could be wrong too.

They need Jey to be there Saturday for the story. Jimmy isn't necessary, so if he can't make it in, not the end of the world.

Hadn't really given much thought of going to the Elimination Chamber in Montreal (about 70 minutes drive away from the Bell Centre)

But started to think about it yesterday -- haven't been to a wrestling show since 1999 or 2000 in Toronto. Was supposed to go to WM18 (2002 in Toronto) but life threw a curve and I could not attend.

Hadn't really given much thought of going to the Elimination Chamber in Montreal (about 70 minutes drive away from the Bell Centre)

But started to think about it yesterday -- haven't been to a wrestling show since 1999 or 2000 in Toronto. Was supposed to go to WM18 (2002 in Toronto) but life threw a curve and I could not attend.

I would say definitely go. Very rare I go to a show and after it's over regret it. And this should be a very memorable show

They’ll be booing him by Summerslam.
I predict Cody will be a heel by Summerslam. I think him as a face will only go so far with the fans. He’ll get his moment at WrestleMania and turn heel sometime after. Money in the Bank is in London this year. I expect McIntyre to win and take the title off of Cody at Summerslam(getting the pop he missed during Covid and in Wales last summer).

I predict the Bloodline will get their hands on the other belt and Sami will be in a program with them on whichever show Cody isn’t on leading to an eventual Roman-Sami match that Sami can actually win.

WWE supposedly going after Kenny Omega, even dangling the opportunity to keep open date with NJPW to entice him

WWE supposedly going after Kenny Omega, even dangling the opportunity to keep open date with NJPW to entice him
Omega and the Bucks are pure wrestlecrap to me. At least in AEW. Weirdo goofball over booked flippy kicks guys. Not my cup of tea.

He’ll likely be the same only feuding with Nakamura in meaningless Raw matches within a few months in WWE.

Omega and the Bucks are pure wrestlecrap to me. At least in AEW. Weirdo goofball over booked flippy kicks guys. Not my cup of tea.

He’ll likely be the same only feuding with Nakamura in meaningless Raw matches within a few months in WWE.
I'd love to see them flee AEW. Then Tony can bring back Punk and FTR, and some of the other talents who were buried will get a shot

Sami drops the T-Bomb, tabernac

Have a hard time seeing him win tomorrow within the timeframe, but WWE is going to monopolize on this feud longer.

I think Kenny pushed as a serious main eventer is awesome. I think if WWE signed him you'd see that, at least for a while.

Cody beating Roman and having his first challenger as Omega would be something.

Didn't quite feel 100% the last few days so decided not to buy tickets this morning (singles were $100-$120 nosebleeds), a few around $250 in the lower half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom