WWE Thread | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

WWE Thread

SmackDown was good for once. With the whole Saudi mess going on, it probably worked out better for WWE than if the SmackDown guys had gotten back for the show. The NXT roster always puts on a better show and they were showcased on FOX. Since Survivor Series is going to be Raw vs SmackDown vs NXT, I can see NXT coming out on top there. Vince wants people to see it as equal to the other two shows, not the minor leagues. So, long term, this might have inadvertently helped the ratings on Wednesday nights.

I agree. But when has WWE followed up something good by building on it? Should hotshot a good rating for NXT on Wed. though...

Last edited:
Looking at the ratings both WWE and AEW have been leaking oil. Granted last week was up against World Series game 7, but AEW is down 46% from their first week. Be interesting to see if either one can get things moving back in the right direction anytime soon.

So apparently the Saudis didn’t want to pay for this show because Vince and Stephaine demanded the women’s match take place on the show.
The Saudis royals didn’t want the match. Vince/Steph forced the envelope and so the Saudis withheld payment.
Vince cut the TV feed and the Saudis held the wrestlers plane as retaliation.

Vince could have a big trouble with his roster.

So apparently the Saudis didn’t want to pay for this show because Vince and Stephaine demanded the women’s match take place on the show.
The Saudis royals didn’t want the match. Vince/Steph forced the envelope and so the Saudis withheld payment.

Comically absurd situation. I don’t know who I think less of between the Saudi’s and Vince.

I hadn't heard the womens match thing being the issue. From what I read, they did pay sometime between the end of the quarter and 10/31. (This would've been for the last show. I think?)

Of course, then today they announced they had "extended" their partnership with the Saudis to two shows a year, even they've already been doing 2 shows a year. Such a weird story.

Weird thing is they extended the deal with Saudi today

Weird thing is they extended the deal with Saudi today

The weird thing is they have been doing 2 shows a year already! maybe they hadn't signed the contract or something?

The weird thing is they have been doing 2 shows a year already! maybe they hadn't signed the contract or something?

I thought they had been doing 2 shows already after I read that. Very strange.

That really true?

That really true?

It definitely seems like they withheld payment, but they seem to have paid prior to the show. It comes off as this was just a pissing match between Vince and MBS with the wrestlers just pawns and being put in a terrible spot

As far as I’m concerned, trying to go head up with AEW is costing them...because I’m watching AEW every time regardless of what happens on NXT. I’ll support the alternative all day, pretty much no matter what at this point. Don’t think I’m alone.

I haven’t heard any details of the stranding yet. Are they out there now?

I will always watch 80s and 90s WWE on the network but outside of PPVs I don't watch much of the new product they have to offer at all.

That said I have watched every AEW episode and dont plan to stop. I didnt really want to occupy my time with more than that but i plan on starting to watch their dark show as well. I hope they can keep it up.

Meltzer thinks that both WWE and the Saudis HAD to announce the deal now. WWE stock has fallen almost 50% since it hit a high around $100. Saudis are doing that IPO with Aramco and hardly needs to be seen as American hostage-takers (any more than they already are).

Believe it or not... CM Punk is back in WWE.
For now it is for their new weekly show, Backstage, on FS1. One would think it's only a matter of time before he hits the ring again...

Believe it or not... CM Punk is back in WWE.
For now it is for their new weekly show, Backstage, on FS1. One would think it's only a matter of time before he hits the ring again...

I guess we'll see, but I think he's technically a Fox employee and not a WWE one. Yet.

I guess we'll see, but I think he's technically a Fox employee and not a WWE one. Yet.
Punk isn’t going to do anything. Vince has destroyed his product. It’s still profitable but the talent is the product and none of the talent who aren’t Vince personal projects are allowed to get over.

It doesn’t really matter. Anybody would sell out for a good amount of money. I don’t blame Punk for taking it.

Punk isn’t going to do anything. Vince has destroyed his product. It’s still profitable but the talent is the product and none of the talent who aren’t Vince personal projects are allowed to get over.

It doesn’t really matter. Anybody would sell out for a good amount of money. I don’t blame Punk for taking it.

Vince can't even get over his pet projects any more. How many years did he cram Roman Reigns down our throats, and to what end? Who ARE his pet projects now? Seth Rollins? Fans can't stand him b/c he's a company crybaby. Maybe Becky Lynch, but she's not a true difference maker. I can't think of anybody. And now, he's starting to bury the NXT talent.

Punk made it clear that he is a FOX employee but never say never on a WWE return.

If they continue to let him be unscripted and talk honestly about the current product... even better.

I know it's not WWE but did anyone hear what Cornette said on NWA. I won't repeat it but it's amazing that he thought it would result in anything but him losing his job

WWE is essentially sending its entire roster to NXT tonight in order to win the ratings battle against AEW for the first time.

It will probably work. It had BETTER work. But, man, they're overexposing their product, and the ratings show it.

The last two Raws drew the two worst non-holiday ratings in the show's history. Amd Smackdown's ratings are trending downward.

WWE is essentially sending its entire roster to NXT tonight in order to win the ratings battle against AEW for the first time.

It will probably work. It had BETTER work. But, man, they're overexposing their product, and the ratings show it.

On the same token, it will be interesting to see if AEW keeps the viewers they got from the PPV bump. Before that, they were leaking oil at the same rate as NXT.

On the same token, it will be interesting to see if AEW keeps the viewers they got from the PPV bump. Before that, they were leaking oil at the same rate as NXT.

True. But there were extenuating circumstances for both brands as they went up against the World Series.

The real difference is in the demos as AEW consistently has handily won the younger demos that advertisers want, while NXT has only won the over-50 demographic. Plus, keep in mind that the so-called post-PPV ratings bump that AEW got triumphed over the brand invasion hype for NXT.

The last two Raws drew the two worst non-holiday ratings in the show's history. Amd Smackdown's ratings are trending downward.
I haven’t DVRed a raw or smack down or honestly watched one since the raw reunion in the summer.

The current shows Raw and smackdown are unwatchable now. Nobody can do their own promos and the bookings are just garbage.
AEW on DVR for me.

Hope AEW still beats NXt tonight if they do Vince will have wasted a network exclusive for nothing.

A heel actually wrestling like a heel, an incredibly over face, action that makes sense rather than the guys taking turns hitting random moves on each other like it’s a video game, charisma off the charts from everyone involved, and an insanely hot crowd...

all things that basically don’t exist anymore. First Savage-Hogan match ever...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom