WWE Thread | Page 90 | Syracusefan.com

WWE Thread

HHH kicked off the night and left his boots in the middle of the ring.

Opening 3-way tag titles match was a good one. After, Gabel Steveson got his Mania moment with Chad Gable. Maybe they'll do an angle with true wrestlers.

Bobby didn't have to job. No surprise here.. not a good match.

Zayne/Knoxville match was like a Jacka$$ show/movie.

Edge's new entrance was pretty cool. Had a new age Brood feel.

Edit: Damian Priest distracts AJ at the end. Looks like he'll be joining Edge. I'd say New age Brood was on point.

Sheamus got his match back. 2-minute squash of New Day.

Vince introduces his boy, Austin Theory. Pat McAfee comes out to Seven Nation Army along with the Dallas cheerleaders. Then booms a punt into the crowd. He is so over with the crowd. Feel he could become a full-timer.

Last edited:
Didn’t watch at all today but decided to turn it on just in time for the Reigns-Lesnar match. Wish I hadn’t turned it on. The Reigns shtick was fine for a year or so but it’s way past time that he drops the belt. Now he has two and we are driven even deeper into the Vince love fest of Roman Reigns. Heard Mania was really good but that match sucked all the positive energy out. Can’t say I’m surprised.

Didn’t watch at all today but decided to turn it on just in time for the Reigns-Lesnar match. Wish I hadn’t turned it on. The Reigns shtick was fine for a year or so but it’s way past time that he drops the belt. Now he has two and we are driven even deeper into the Vince love fest of Roman Reigns. Heard Mania was really good but that match sucked all the positive energy out. Can’t say I’m surprised.
Night 2 was pretty good. Main Event as you said... should've gone the other way.

We got Stone Cold one more time.. and with Vince. That was fun.. even though the stunners weren't what they used to be.. and Vince taking one... yikes. Hope he is okay. The way he went down and his knee didn't look to good. Poor Vince even botched the music. They played Theory's 1st, and he reacted like it was Stone Cold's glass shattering.

Austin Theory had one of the best oversell stunners taken.. only to be overshadowed by Vince's terrible take.

Last edited:
Thing with Reigns….when you have a long time, dominant heel champ, the whole point is to eventually use that to put over your next megastar babyface right?

Who do they even have on the horizon?

It’s not Brock - he’s been champ a million times, so I wouldn’t want to waste that Reigns L on him. Who do they even have that’s a candidate to be the next guy?

Thing with Reigns….when you have a long time, dominant heel champ, the whole point is to eventually use that to put over your next megastar babyface right?

It’s not Brock - he’s been champ a million times, so I wouldn’t want to waste that Reigns L on him. Who do they even have that’s a candidate to be the next guy?

I'm pretty sure the actual answer is to turn Reigns face and to be that guy

I agree with you. The problem in my view is not Reigns (at least not directly). The problem is largely everything the WWE is doing below the championship program that is a) undercard is weak programming, b) does not build anybody. One can certainly argue that if the WWE was running well creatively and building people well, then Reigns should not be the champion anymore. But they (the WWE) are not.

I'm also not sure Brock was the guy to give the title to, since he is part-time anyway and really isn't any fresher than Roman.

I don't think Reigns has been much of an issue as champion (at least in his current identity). His character is still for the most part over with the crowd unlike his previous "reigns". Also his programs have largely been entertaining and his match work has been solid. I was not looking forward to Reigns/Lesnar again when it broke at SummerSlam, but they actually did a good job changing up Brock, the Heyman factor -- that story line was actually good. It was starting to drag a bit so good for it to be over.

I'm pretty sure the actual answer is to turn Reigns face and to be that guy
Thought of that, because he’s clearly “the guy” and “the guy” usually works better when he’s a face. But he’s just never really worked that well as a face.

Next up is apparently Drew McIntyre. While he deserves a nice pop as it was taken away from him due to Covid, I don’t see him taking down Reigns. I don’t see Reigns dropping a title until SummerSlam at the earliest. Although if both belts are still separate like they were with Becky Lynch, I can see the Money in the Bank winner getting a surprise roll up pin and taking one of them off him.

WWE is traditionally a promotion where the face is champion. Here is a character that is a long-time champion now and is better as a heel.

They desperately need to find a face they can build to feud and beat him (maybe lose two matches and win a third at Summerslam).

I don't see any good faces on the roster right now.

Reigns doesn't seem to work as a pure face.

Didn't say it would work!

Eventually if a heel just keeps beating everyone and looking super strong, he kinda has to turn face I think

Just caught up on the second night now. I thought night 1 was clearly better but night 2 was not terrible either.

Even if you are down on the WWE (and rightfully so) it was an entertaining WWE weekend from the hall of fame to the 2 nights. Better wrestling in Night 1, but some entertaining moments in Night 2. A good watch overall especially if you can forward through the filler. It was a better event than last year.

I listen to a few podcasts who certainly are pro-AEW in terms of quality, and they both gave the event a thumbs especially the HOF and Night 1

The WWE still has its same significant problems to resolve, but would not give up on the event because of that.

As an aside, Vince McMahon is still fairly jacked and beyond what I ever will be -- at the age of 76.

Last edited:
01AF8FC5-208E-47DF-A82B-BC891E864856.jpeg

Vince McMahon’s grandson.

Just caught up on the second night now. I thought night 1 was clearly better but night 2 was not terrible either.

Even if you are down on the WWE (and rightfully so) it was an entertaining WWE weekend from the hall of fame to the 2 nights. Better wrestling in Night 1, but some entertaining moments in Night 2. A good watch overall especially if you can forward through the filler. It was a better event than last year.

I listen to a few podcasts who certainly are pro-AEW in terms of quality, and they both gave the event a thumbs especially the HOF and Night 1

The WWE still has its same significant problems to resolve, but would not give up on the event because of that.

As an aside, Vince McMahon is still fairly jacked and beyond what I ever will be -- at the age of 76.
If someone would just edit the whole thing into like a 3-4 hour show like the old Mania’s, I’d be thrilled to watch it.

Even skipping through all the bloated dead time feels like a hassle. I want to sit down, put the remote away, and zone out and enjoy it.

Also, I miss Finkel and Okerland.

So I decided to watch most of RAW yesterday given that it was the Post Wrestlemania show and I liked ania.

The Cody Segment to start was well done -- simple enough reason why he is here (to get the WWE title his dad wanted), and what his plan is. As I said before its good if the WWE is able to get some AEW guys and treat them well (if they continue to do that will be interesting). The AEW roster is so bloated with talent it can afford to give up some acts... in fact it will probably help the stories with the remaining roster. And a new storyline could boost people moving around both ways,

After the opening segment things quickly declined to typical RAW suckiness.
Elias came out with a new character called Ezekiel -- basically a generic 1990s chacacter. The segment drew some good laughs, but his character is basically useless, So what was the point.

They have also been promoting the debut of some Indian Monster "Veer" for about four months. He finally came out as the Generic big monster attack spot. Why they waited four months for this is beyond me.

Got tired and fast forwarded to the end. Roman Reigns came out, they said nothing for 5 minutes, and basically said tune into Smackdown where I will tell my plan. What a close to the show! (sarcasm)

If someone would just edit the whole thing into like a 3-4 hour show like the old Mania’s, I’d be thrilled to watch it.

Even skipping through all the bloated dead time feels like a hassle. I want to sit down, put the remote away, and zone out and enjoy it.

Also, I miss Finkel and Okerland.

Fair enough ... a good show actually has a bit of time between matches to make everything flow properly and to enhance the show. It can be enjoyable when done properly and in much smaller doses then it is done now. Fast forwarding things does take you out of the show as well, but it is a necessity at this point.

Super random but I saw Shane McMahon and his family on the subway probably 3-4 years ago in NYC. I appreciated that he was out there using it and even was chatting a up a young couple with a baby.

Random as I said but he seemed like a decent guy.

I remember about 15-20 years ago they would make a big deal about "next week being a 3 hour RAW" as they were infrequent. And it would actually gain the interest of me as a viewer.

Now it would make me happy if they announced "next week a special 2 hour RAW". That being said even at 2 hours it would struggle. Smackdown was a fairly good watch up to about 3 years ago, and now it runs into similar problems.

Super random but I saw Shane McMahon and his family on the subway probably 3-4 years ago in NYC. I appreciated that he was out there using it and even was chatting a up a young couple with a baby.

Random as I said but he seemed like a decent guy.
Stephanie used to live on the UES and work out at the NYSC on E76th St.

my friend used to run the boxing program there and i would help him out in his class a few times a week and she would be there for at least 1 of them.

she was pretty cool, had a great sense of humor about her 'status'.

95% of the class had no clue who she was, so we could openly joke about her pulling her punches and nobody got it.

Bobby Heenan was pure gold as as analyst.

A handful of days back I randomly selected to watch the 1991 Survivor Series, and then moved forward to 92 and 93. Largely listening to it as background noise as I do other things on my computer.

Can't comment on the wrestling as I am not watching much... but of course I hear all of Bobby's in the background commentary which was outstanding (with Gorilla and even Vince) The 1991 and 1992 survivor series had Ric Flair, and his commentary regarding him was always fabulous.. not 1992 Rumble level but this was great.

Last edited:
Bobby Heenan was pure gold as as analyst.

A handful of days back I randomly selected to watch the 1991 Survivor Series, and then moved forward to 92 and 93. Largely listening to it as background noise as I do other things on my computer.

Can't comment on the wrestling as I am not watching much... but of course I hear all of Bobby's in the background commentary which was outstanding (with Gorilla and even Vince) The 1991 and 1992 survivor series had Ric Flair, and his commentary regarding him was always fabulous.. not 1992 Rumble level but this was great.
Loved that Flair-Heenan- Perfect alliance. Underrated historically, IMO. But they were great together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom