WWE Thread | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

WWE Thread

Xavier Woods singing Batista’s theme song. Amazing!

Xavier Woods singing Batista’s theme song. Amazing!

Edit:Just realized it says video unavailable. Not sure what happened, but it was footage of Woods standing near the Mania entrance, going insane singing along with Batista’s theme song during his Mania entrance. It was so endearing. You just know that Woods was a huge Batista fan as a kid watching Smackdown in 2005.

Did “second act Shawn Michaels” from 2002 onward ever have a big match where he didn’t land sweet chin music and then lay on the mat unable to move while the double count out thing would happen and get to 9 before he was able to make the cover with 1 arm for a near fall? Holy overused routine.

Did “second act Shawn Michaels” from 2002 onward ever have a big match where he didn’t land sweet chin music and then lay on the mat unable to move while the double count out thing would happen and get to 9 before he was able to make the cover with 1 arm for a near fall? Holy overused routine.

Sometimes he'd probably do the superkick, lay down for a while, and then do a kip up as opposed to going for a cover?

It's kind of crazy to think his run after he came back from the career ending back injury was basically just as long as his initial run (as a singles star I mean)

Another crazy thing about Shawn's second run is he won the WWE title 3 months after he came back, lost in a month later, and then never won it again.

Another crazy thing about Shawn's second run is he won the WWE title 3 months after he came back, lost in a month later, and then never won it again.

I remember being mad that he didn’t win it off Cena at Wrestlemania. Cena was so tired at that time and had dominated the title for like 2 years, and Shawn was way over.

I remember being mad that he didn’t win it off Cena at Wrestlemania. Cena was so tired at that time and had dominated the title for like 2 years, and Shawn was way over.

Yeah that was a weird one, pretty sure it was supposed to be HHH against Cena (and probably beating him? Since Cena had beaten him the year prior) but then he got hurt in January. Shawn was hot too, but I guess they didn't want to mess up their plan of having HHH eventually going over Cena? (I also think Shawn ended up taking most of that summer off due to injury, so maybe that played into it)

Cena won the belt at Mania 21 in April 05. Dropped it in early January 06, won it back in late January 06. Dropped it in June, won it back in September 06, then held it till he had to vacate it when he got hurt in September 07

Yeah that was a weird one, pretty sure it was supposed to be HHH against Cena (and probably beating him? Since Cena had beaten him the year prior) but then he got hurt in January. Shawn was hot too, but I guess they didn't want to mess up their plan of having HHH eventually going over Cena? (I also think Shawn ended up taking most of that summer off due to injury, so maybe that played into it)

Cena won the belt at Mania 21 in April 05. Dropped it in early January 06, won it back in late January 06. Dropped it in June, won it back in September 06, then held it till he had to vacate it when he got hurt in September 07

Yup. That was a LONG couple of years.

Thing is, much of the crowd was already rooting for heels like Jericho and Angle to beat him way back in 2005. They were already tired of him. Logic would say, get the title off him by fall 2005 at the latest, and switch it up. Probably by turning him heel. Keep things fresh.

But nope. They doubled down, kept him face for literally the rest of his career and had him dominate the title for like the next 6-7 years. Lmaosmh.

The crazy thing I think about Michaels (other than getting his ass kicked in Syracuse) is that I first heard about him back in like 88 as part of the Rockers. Then he hurt his back in like 98 and was on the shelf, and I figured he was done. But then he came back in 02 and had the best run of his career.

Shawn didn’t want the title.
He said as much. As much as Shawn was a d@ck in the 90s when he came in 2002 he wasn’t the same guy.
Shawn was old school and thought the champ had to carry the company and he didn’t want that responsibility:
Shawn Michaels was awesome when he came back. He totally sabotaged his Summerslam 2005 match with Hulk Hogan because Hogan wouldn’t agree to put over after Hogan won at Summerslam so Michaels totally made Hogan look bad in the match.
It’s a classic to watch as Michaels oversold everything and Hogan was too stupid to realize what Michaels was doing.

Michaels didn’t want to beat Cena at WM 23. He just wanted a good match.
As a buildup to that match with Cena he did an Ironman 60’minute match with Cena and beat Cena in that match.

The crazy thing I think about Michaels (other than getting his ass kicked in Syracuse) is that I first heard about him back in like 88 as part of the Rockers. Then he hurt his back in like 98 and was on the shelf, and I figured he was done. But then he came back in 02 and had the best run of his career.

True. I had several periods of several years where I wasn’t watching or paying attention, and every time that I got back into it...he was still there. Him and Undertaker.

He said as much. As much as Shawn was a d@ck in the 90s when he came in 2002 he wasn’t the same guy.
Shawn was old school and thought the champ had to carry the company and he didn’t want that responsibility:
Shawn Michaels was awesome when he came back. He totally sabotaged his Summerslam 2005 match with Hulk Hogan because Hogan wouldn’t agree to put over after Hogan won at Summerslam so Michaels totally made Hogan look bad in the match.
It’s a classic to watch as Michaels oversold everything and Hogan was too stupid to realize what Michaels was doing.

As a buildup to that match with Cena he did an Ironman 60’minute match with Cena and beat Cena in that match.

Yes, I remember watching that Ironman match. Crowd went insane when Michaels won.

Summerslam ‘05 with Hogan-Michaels and the Edge-Matt Hardy bloodbath was certainly a unique watch.

By the way, I’ve been on a post-Wrestlemania 21 spring 2005 Raw binge and that’s what inspired this post.

Also - Edge stole Kane’s storyline wife Lita, while the crowd completely no sold the emotional aspect of it and just chanted “ we want Matt!” due to Edge really stealing Lita from Matt. Then WWE was like “screw it” and ditched Edge-Kane and ran the real life version of the feud. Lol.

He is part of the Hogan Michaels match. It really is hilarious

He is part of the Hogan Michaels match. It really is hilarious

Michaels was pissed that Hogan was suppose to have 2 matches with him.
Hogan was suppose to win the first at Summerslam and then Michaels would have won the rematch.
However Hogan told Vince he didn’t think Michaels was big enough physically to beat him(this is BS) so Vince told HBK he wasn’t getting the return win so Michaels decided to sabotage the match and make Hogan look like a clown.
I agree with Michaels as Hogan at that point in his career didn’t need to dominate his feuds.

Lol at Jim Ross having to sell that and play it straight. “The velocity! The power of Hogan!” Hilarious.

That was my first exact thought when I just rewatched it. How the heck are you supposed to announce that insanity?

Hogan was suppose to win the first at Summerslam and then Michaels would have won the rematch.
However Hogan told Vince he didn’t think Michaels was big enough physically to beat him(this is BS) so Vince told HBK he wasn’t getting the return win so Michaels decided to sabotage the match and make Hogan look like a clown.
I agree with Michaels as Hogan at that point in his career didn’t need to dominate his feuds.

Yeah, they got it right with Hogan in like 2002-03. He was still capable. He even won the title! But he also lost matches. Brock beat him. Rock beat him. I think Taker beat him. He wasn’t invincible, he was just another star.

He should’ve put Michaels over at least once.

And I was mad when he beat Orton the next year at Summerslam. That would’ve been huge for the “legend killer”. Zero reason for Hogan to win that match. I think that was Hogan’s last real match for WWE too.

I hate hogan.

Hate to be that guy, cause I agree with like all of your post, but...

the ironman was a few weeks after Mania, not the buildup

I know he also vetoed going to smackdown at least once to win the title, because he had bible class on Wednesday mornings (night after smackdown taped.) Well, thats what he said at least

Yeah, they got it right with Hogan in like 2002-03. He was still capable. He even won the title! But he also lost matches. Brock beat him. Rock beat him. I think Taker beat him. He wasn’t invincible, he was just another star.

He should’ve put Michaels over at least once.

And I was mad when he beat Orton the next year at Summerslam. That would’ve been huge for the “legend killer”. Zero reason for Hogan to win that match. I think that was Hogan’s last real match for WWE too.

There's ALWAYS a reason for Hulk to win. Brother

Also,a thought on Cena; I know it did seem like they pushed him down our throats, and I totally thought that at the time, but as it turns out: he's a massive star and bigger than anyone they've developed since Austin. So maybe they were right?

Hate to be that guy, cause I agree with like all of your post, but...

the ironman was a few weeks after Mania, not the buildup

I know he also vetoed going to smackdown at least once to win the title, because he had bible class on Wednesday mornings (night after smackdown taped.) Well, thats what he said at least

There's ALWAYS a reason for Hulk to win. Brother

Also,a thought on Cena; I know it did seem like they pushed him down our throats, and I totally thought that at the time, but as it turns out: he's a massive star and bigger than anyone they've developed since Austin. So maybe they were right?
I just saw the iron man match was during the April European tour.
So you are correct on the timing of that.

Cena was a great star. The fans turned on him in 2008 after Vince turned him into Super Cena.
He is their best star since Austin. His problem was Vince and how he was booked as a hero to children. If Cena wasn’t a Golden shovel I think fans don’t turn on him. Hogan in the 80s didn’t have Raw and Smaxkdown and a PPV every month so he wasn’t overexposed.

Cena buried everyone except Punk and Bryan. The only reason he didn’t bury Bryan was because they were de facto brother in laws and he personally went to Vince on him.
The rest of that era were buried by Cena.

Vince McMahon needs an intervention if he thinks this is good chit.

D8d8k3SXUAAoDmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom