Yes Roberson commits!!!! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Yes Roberson commits!!!!

I think JB is restocking the cabinets for expected early leaves. With the exception of Kentucky the one-and-done is kind of passe. The days of the two-and-done I believe will be the wave of the future. With that assumption and if everyone blows up as expected:
CJ will be here 1 more year (graduates and will want an NC); BMK gone in 1
Rak and DC2 won't be ready for 1 more year. Rak gone in 3 and DC2 gone in 2 (after next year)
That brings in Roberson (gone in 2) and McCullough and Dakari (fingers crossed) (gone in 1)
Ennis gone in 2 (at most 3)
Mike G gone in 3 (only 3 years of eligibiity)

So what is our core: Cooney (3); Patterson (4), BJ (4), Chino (4)

So for those who think that JB is over recruiting or is overstocking the cabinets for Hop ... I think that he is anticipating these early leaves ad is covering. When you recruit high quality players than you can expect that you will need to replace them in the future ... and as quickly as possible.

It's still hard to wrap my head around CJ only being a Jr. Just imagine the player he's going to be next year...and that he's somewhat shown he can be this year.

I think JB is restocking the cabinets for expected early leaves. With the exception of Kentucky the one-and-done is kind of passe. The days of the two-and-done I believe will be the wave of the future. With that assumption and if everyone blows up as expected:
CJ will be here 1 more year (graduates and will want an NC); BMK gone in 1
Rak and DC2 won't be ready for 1 more year. Rak gone in 3 and DC2 gone in 2 (after next year)
That brings in Roberson (gone in 2) and McCullough and Dakari (fingers crossed) (gone in 1)
Ennis gone in 2 (at most 3)
Mike G gone in 3 (only 3 years of eligibiity)

So what is our core: Cooney (3); Patterson (4), BJ (4), Chino (4)

So for those who think that JB is over recruiting or is overstocking the cabinets for Hop ... I think that he is anticipating these early leaves ad is covering. When you recruit high quality players than you can expect that you will need to replace them in the future ... and as quickly as possible.

You make some excellent points. UK got out ahead of the curve, and perfected the "one-and-done" strategy. Some may hate Cal and UK for this, but you cannot deny at this point that they have implemented this strategy better and before anyone else. For the foreseeable future, they are going to get the best players available every year, and most of them are going to be done in one year, and they will reload every year. Unless they are doing something grossly illegal, I for one have to admit that this is an excellent strategy if you have the right resources to commit to it.

It would be very difficult to compete with UK directly with this strategy. But this does leave some opportunity to implement, as you astutely comment, a "two-and-done" strategy where second-tier recruits (those ranked, say, 11-50, or 21-60, whatever) go to a place like SU, develop for a year (at the age of 18-20, one year can mean enormous improvement in all phases of development), and compete on a comparable level to UK. You may land a 5-star recruit (eg, Coleman, McCullough, Carmelo, Waiters) and make a push for the top.

I think our move to the ACC plays a huge role here. Sentimentally, I hate leaving the Big East, but there is nothing like the ACC for basketball, year-in, year-out. I'm sure that has a lot to do with our increased recruiting success.

You make some excellent points. UK got out ahead of the curve, and perfected the "one-and-done" strategy. Some may hate Cal and UK for this, but you cannot deny at this point that they have implemented this strategy better and before anyone else. For the foreseeable future, they are going to get the best players available every year, and most of them are going to be done in one year, and they will reload every year. Unless they are doing something grossly illegal, I for one have to admit that this is an excellent strategy if you have the right resources to commit to it.

It would be very difficult to compete with UK directly with this strategy. But this does leave some opportunity to implement, as you astutely comment, a "two-and-done" strategy where second-tier recruits (those ranked, say, 11-50, or 21-60, whatever) go to a place like SU, develop for a year (at the age of 18-20, one year can mean enormous improvement in all phases of development), and compete on a comparable level to UK. You may land a 5-star recruit (eg, Coleman, McCullough, Carmelo, Waiters) and make a push for the top.

I think our move to the ACC plays a huge role here. Sentimentally, I hate leaving the Big East, but there is nothing like the ACC for basketball, year-in, year-out. I'm sure that has a lot to do with our increased recruiting success.

I don't give them credit for perfecting the "one and done" strategy because I think of it as bastardizing, and to a degree, ruining the game. If you want NCAA basketball to be the equivalent of a pro league, where you win at all costs, then this style might be alright for you.

I am more of a purist, I like that the majority of kids are here for 4 years. We as fans, have a chance to get to know them a bit, we see them develop over time, sometimes they put down some roots in the community, its a much different animal than bringing in a new team of mercenaries each year. If the roster flips over each year, it is harder... in my view.. to identify with the team.

I want to get a one and done caliber player or two also, because thanks to Melo, we've seen the impact that that type of player can have. But, as for a roster of one and dones, or two and dones, not so much.

love the staff's strategy and this class! This approach and class reflect meeting both our long term and short term needs. We've added a core 4 year player types in MikeG, Patterson, BJ, Chino as well as Roberson and Ennis falling into the 2 and done group.
Welcome to Cuse Nation, Tyler!

Why did the school change it's name? Did it lose or retract it's religious affiliation?

Why did the school change it's name? Did it lose or retract it's religious affiliation?
it closed down.. then they must have reopened with a new name. Maybe not funded by a diocese?

As edowd mentioned, they closed because the archdiocese stopped giving them funds. With the help from locals and former players like Kyrie Irving and MKG, they were able to reopen at a new location. It's now a private school and have no affiliation with the archdiocese.

Oh man so many kids to keep up with! I saw Roberson and thought it was Lawrence Roberson (sp?) and then see its Tyler Roberson? So many kids with similar names!

Oh man so many kids to keep up with! I saw Roberson and thought it was Lawrence Roberson (sp?) and then see its Tyler Roberson? So many kids with similar names!
5I5s8.png Jermaine Lawrence and Tyler Roberson sound nothing alike lol.

Speaking of Lawrence. I don't know if he's hurt as usual, but he didn't play on Friday and I'm hoping that he doesn't chicken out of his matchup against Roberson tomorrow.

Jermaine Lawrence and Tyler Roberson...Samsonite?! I was way off...

"Tyler Roberson scored 29 points to lead Roselle Catholic, No. 5 in The Star-Ledger Top 20, to a 66-53 victory over Newark Vocational.

Isaiah Still had 14 points in the win and Malachi Richardson had 12."

RC now 3-0 to start the season.

"Malachi Richardson scored 22 points and Tyler Roberson collected 20 points and 22 rebounds as Roselle Catholic, No. 5 in The Star-Ledger Top 20, topped Plainfield, 72-41, in Roselle.

Asante Gist had 11 points, seven assists, five rebounds and two steals in the victory and Matt Bullock racked up six steals."

Roberson is just beasting to start out the season. To those that have seen RC, how tall is Asante Gist? 2016 youngin, sounds like an intriguing prospect to look out for but I know currently he's kind of smallish.

Would 20 and 22 be considered a double double double double?

"Malachi Richardson scored 22 points and Tyler Roberson collected 20 points and 22 rebounds as Roselle Catholic, No. 5 in The Star-Ledger Top 20, topped Plainfield, 72-41, in Roselle.

Asante Gist had 11 points, seven assists, five rebounds and two steals in the victory and Matt Bullock racked up six steals."

Roberson is just beasting to start out the season. To those that have seen RC, how tall is Asante Gist? 2016 youngin, sounds like an intriguing prospect to look out for but I know currently he's kind of smallish.

To those that have seen RC, how tall is Asante Gist? 2016 youngin, sounds like an intriguing prospect to look out for but I know currently he's kind of smallish.
ESPN has him at 5'11 and I saw him up close going up against that kid from Pope John who was supposed to be 5'8. Gist is probably 5'10, my best guess.

His dribble was tight and had a couple of quick crossovers, went between the legs and although he showboated a few times against that Pope John guard, he didn't turn it over and was under control. Dude is really fast, but wish I saw more of him. RC has at least 4 talented guys between him, Roberson, Malachi and Santil, so he'll probably get more looks as he becomes more of a focus in their offense in the following years.

ESPN has him at 5'11 and I saw him up close going up against that kid from Pope John who was supposed to be 5'8. Gist is probably 5'10, my best guess.

His dribble was tight and had a couple of quick crossovers, went between the legs and although he showboated a few times against that Pope John guard, he didn't turn it over and was under control. Dude is really fast, but wish I saw more of him. RC has at least 4 talented guys between him, Roberson, Malachi and Santil, so he'll probably get more looks as he becomes more of a focus in their offense in the following years.
Thanks Tee as always. He's only a Freshman, so hopefully he can grow 3-4 inches over the next few years and become a serious target for SU.

Thanks Tee as always. He's only a Freshman, so hopefully he can grow 3-4 inches over the next few years and become a serious target for SU.
All good man. I think he was a USA Basketball invite this past year, and yeah, it would be sweet if he got to Ennis' or similar height. He looks like a true PG, maybe a Flynn kind of game, closest SU comparison. He's an afterburner, just like Jonny :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom