Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think John Wildhack just learned today that money talks and the world can be cruel?

My goodness, this board finds ways to reach new levels of stupidity every day.
Some people, depending on what was said and signed, expect people to act like they believe in the word respect and honor. No I don't think W just learned it - but I thought I'd tell it like I did anyway. If you don't like it?

This board includes you as well.

No - but I’m not the one claiming two 5 win seasons and disaster

works both ways

I have no issues with people who are more optimistic than myself about our chances next season. But that’s just the way I see it. I don’t like opening with two road games again. FSU and Louisville are improved and getting better. A lot of things. But could we win 6, 7 even 8 games. Always possible.

Some people, depending on what was said and signed, expect people to act like they believe in the word respect and honor. No I don't think W just learned it - but I thought I'd tell it like I did anyway. If you don't like it?

This board includes you as well.

JW has dealt with the mercurial whims of talent for decades before he landed at SU. Say what you want, it’s your perogative, it was just a profoundly silly take.

I'm not mad at Arnett.

He's in a strange profession. Very bro cultured. Crappy coaches find work all the time because they're in the frat. Many coaching moves occur due to firing. It's an ugly cycle. He just stayed a step ahead of it. Big promotion, big money. He opted not to have it here. Good chance down the road he gets screwed. That's the nature of this beast.

We're in a bind. Fine. It is what it is. Sports are dumb.

I expect us to pay what a mid level sec school pays so this crap doesn’t happen. Syracuse does everything and I mean everything on the cheap and this crap happens because of it.
You're wrong in this case. It wasn't a disparity in pay.

if he came here for 2 yrs and did well he probably is looking for a HC gig. if he goes to MSU he could very well run into 4-5 offenses that ring him up and in 2-3 yrs is looking for a job. Leach is trying to prove a pt that his offense will fly anywhere. if it does he can ride that to a HC gig too. but no doubt he had one offense to slow down here and he has a bunch to slow down in the SEC

Where did that 2nd part come from? Or is that your input?

Yeah, this guy was likely not staying long. He jumped ship in seconds for an SEC bottom feeder.
One that is on 3 year probation, and if they start to get good, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, And Texas A@M will find something to make matters worse.

You're wrong in this case. It wasn't a disparity in pay.

Of course it is. Matching the offer is not enough. Was the offer strong? Yes. The guy was obviously a hot commodity. We didn't attempt to offer more though? All things being equal financially, every college football coach in America is going to MSU over Cuse.

I'm not mad at Arnett.

He's in a strange profession. Very bro cultured. Crappy coaches find work all the time because they're in the frat. Many coaching moves occur due to firing. It's an ugly cycle. He just stayed a step ahead of it. Big promotion, big money. He opted not to have it here. Good chance down the road he gets screwed. That's the nature of this beast.

We're in a bind. Fine. It is what it is. Sports are dumb.

And, we're all just water.

Dino has shown us over the past year or so that he's got some work to do on closing the deal. If you can't recruit---whether it's high schoolers, transfers, your own roster guys year to year, and finally your staff---you're not long for this world.

Ultimately, that's Dabo's biggest strength. How many guys could get Etienne to stay? Get Venables to remain as a DC?

Bottom line is that it doesn’t really matter. A dead guy lying under the basket will be an upgrade over Ward. Arnett or whatever his name is was going to stay here a year max if he had a pulse. I’m glad he’s gone now.

The good news is that we know that they know they have to spend cash for assistants.

How many figures are in $900,000?

Exactly

I'm guessing at MSU the incentive and bonus will be fairly easy for him to hit and push him closer to $1.1 - $1.2 a year

Of course it is. Matching the offer is not enough. Was the offer strong? Yes. The guy was obviously a hot commodity. We didn't attempt to offer more though? All things being equal financially, every college football coach in America is going to MSU over Cuse.
"All things being equal financially" is another way of saying no disparity in pay.

If we're willing to get up towards $1m for coordinators than that changes a lot of things. Dealing with significantly higher level field as opposed to the $500k range we were thinking the 1st time around.
The 900K he got from MSU was a 2 year deal, we weren't paying $1 mil and neither were they.

EDIT - Holy Moly! My reading comprehension is shot, it was $900K ANNUALLY.

Almost fell out of my chair when I read it.

It appears we are finally acting like a big boy school.

"All things being equal financially" is another way of saying no disparity in pay.

Have you literally never in your life had to choose between multiple job offers? Syracuse matching the pay is not taking it seriously. It's laughable that Wildhack is disappointed in Arnetts lack of commitment. If Syracuse wants to take it seriously, they have to offer more compensation to make up for the lack of everything else that makes the job attractive in comparison.

If we just missed out on Briles, it looks like $1m is the cut off.

Arkansas salaries

Have you literally never in your life had to choose between multiple job offers? Syracuse matching the pay is not taking it seriously. It's laughable that Wildhack is disappointed in Arnetts lack of commitment. If Syracuse wants to take it seriously, they have to offer more compensation to make up for the lack of everything else that makes the job attractive in comparison.

It was attractive enough for him to accept. He continued to field offers after the fact.

Syracuse would have had to offer like 1.1 mill a year to make it even , the taxes here vs Mississippi are like day and night. having said that I think they guy just wanted to go where he believed was a better place and nothing was going to stop that. also who knows maybe he didn't get to choose a coach he wanted here or some other internal thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom