Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so numb nuts isn’t coming here.

Who’s on the radar now?

Dino has shown us over the past year or so that he's got some work to do on closing the deal. If you can't recruit---whether it's high schoolers, transfers, your own roster guys year to year, and finally your staff---you're not long for this world.

Ultimately, that's Dabo's biggest strength. How many guys could get Etienne to stay? Get Venables to remain as a DC?

Venables is making more money than most D1 coaches and only has to focus on defense. Has nothing with closing a deal.

So what about Mike Leachs DC from WSU Tracy Claeys???

He was scapegoated after Leach lost the team but dude can coach. Currently LB coach at VT.

It was attractive enough for him to accept. He continued to field offers after the fact.

This happens every day in every field all over the country. At least here in Virginia, employment is at-will. Signing an offer sheet doesn't guarantee a contract of employment from either side. It's usually a conditional offer outlining pay and benefits. People renegotiate after signing offer sheets all the time when another comes in. Again, the offer from Cuse was strong. Better than I thought we were willing to do honestly, but claiming the dude lacks commitment is laughable when you match the offer. Be honest about refusing to offer more or say he's doing what's best for himself and his family. That's all fine.

JW has dealt with the mercurial whims of talent for decades before he landed at SU. Say what you want, it’s your perogative, it was just a profoundly silly take.
Say what you want it's your right. Your opinion. Mine is mine if you think it's silly so be it.

This happens every day in every field all over the country. At least here in Virginia, employment is at-will. Signing an offer sheet doesn't guarantee a contract of employment from either side. It's usually a conditional offer outlining pay and benefits. People renegotiate after signing offer sheets all the time when another comes in. Again, the offer from Cuse was strong. Better than I thought we were willing to do honestly, but claiming the dude lacks commitment is laughable when you match the offer. Be honest about refusing to offer more or say he's doing what's best for himself and his family. That's all fine.

Lmao at every field. You'd get blacklisted from the major banks if you did that.

EDIT: I've also worked in a support role for one of the major North American leagues. You could kiss your career goodbye if you did that. Everyone knows everyone. It's very insular. Your reputation and relationships are everything.

Last edited:
Lmao at every field. You'd get blacklisted from the major banks if you did that.

Correct. Just because it's happened before in a field where dirtbag meatheads can name their price and drooling fans with a rooting interest give them a pass doesn't mean it's ethical. It isn't.

People of integrity come to an agreement and stick to it. A different type of person doesn't.

My point is simple. A term sheet isnt binding. Its Toilet paper. Get a signed contract before anything is announced. At a minimum SU would have had a buy out. Hopefully we did.
I suspect they wanted to get this guy to CNY ASAP, and get him both working and on the recruiting trail. As most people are well aware of, contracts can take time to finalize. The vast majority of the time in these situations, both parties are working in good faith, and having a more informal agreement in place while the contractual specifics are being worked out is perfectly fine.

I feel fairly confident in suggesting that if this guy wasn’t announced, and didn’t set foot in CNY for a month, because his contract wasn’t finalized, people like yourself would be complaining up a storm.

I suspect they wanted to get this guy to CNY ASAP, and get him both working and on the recruiting trail. As most people are well aware of, contracts can take time to finalize. The vast majority of the time in these situations, both parties are working in good faith, and having a more informal agreement in place while the contractual specifics are being worked out is perfectly fine.

I feel fairly confident in suggesting that if this guy wasn’t announced, and didn’t set foot in CNY for a month, because his contract wasn’t finalized, people like yourself would be complaining up a storm.
I cant comment on " people like myself" but i can promise you that he would have never been announced as being hired until he had a fully executed contract.

EDIT: I've also worked in a support role for one of the major North American leagues. You could kiss your career goodbye if you did that. Everyone knows everyone. It's very insular. Your reputation and relationships are everything.

I guarantee people that are good at their jobs aren't getting blacklisted for taking a better job. You think big time programs are gonna turn him away if he puts up top 25 defenses every year at MSU? Zero chance. Yeah, SU might never consider hiring him again. Whoopty Doo! SU should have countered with a stronger offer or at the very least had him sign a contract. Neither of which they did.

I guarantee people that are good at their jobs aren't getting blacklisted for taking a better job. You think big time programs are gonna turn him away if he puts up top 25 defenses every year at MSU? Zero chance. Yeah, SU might never consider hiring him again. Whoopty Doo! SU should have countered with a stronger offer or at the very least had him sign a contract. Neither of which they did.

I agree, why were we matching the offer?? We should have matched the offer and then raised it.

if we want to be a big boiiiiii program these are things that we need to do and are done across the country.

Clearly he didn't want to be here, so it's for the best. The last thing we want is an OC or DC here solely because they have already signed a contract. I like the D he was going to install and hope we find someone else who can make it happen and do so effectively.

Have you literally never in your life had to choose between multiple job offers? Syracuse matching the pay is not taking it seriously. It's laughable that Wildhack is disappointed in Arnetts lack of commitment. If Syracuse wants to take it seriously, they have to offer more compensation to make up for the lack of everything else that makes the job attractive in comparison.
The OP I responded to said SU was too cheap to pay SEC money. I said there was no disparity in pay in this case. Then, you said there was right before you said there wasn't.
To use your example, you're talking about introducing a difference in pay (i.e. disparity) to make a lesser opportunity equal to or better than the other.
It doesn't matter anyway, he left because he wants to coach in the SEC, per Arnett.

I cant comment on " people like myself" but i can promise you that he would have never been announced as being hired until he had a fully executed contract.
Well that’s just silly. You’d forego weeks, if not months, of someone working and recruiting, when, 99% of the time, parties are haggling over minor details?

And let’s be clear, football is not just like any other business. A P5 DC is not a random software developer or marketing executive.

The OP I responded to said SU was too cheap to pay SEC money. I said there was no disparity in pay in this case. Then, you said there was right before you said there wasn't.
To use your example, you're talking about introducing a difference in pay (i.e. disparity) to make a lesser opportunity equal to or better than the other.
It doesn't matter anyway, he left because he wants to coach in the SEC, per Arnett.

I didn't see the OP you responded to but my point stands without taking "pay" literally. My only contention is that equal pay does not constitute a lack of disparity in the offers themselves. Syracuse would have to pay more for this to be viewed as an equal opportunity.

Well that’s just silly. You’d forego weeks, if not months, of someone working and recruiting, when, 99% of the time, parties are haggling over minor details?

And let’s be clear, football is not just like any other business. A P5 DC is not a random software developer or marketing executive.
You are wrong. You cant have someone representing your company, school, municipalities, or any public institution in todays world that isnt under contract.

You are wrong. You cant have someone representing your company, school, municipalities, or any public institution in todays world that isnt under contract.

Once again you have no clue what you are talking about. It's not unusual at all as Scooch has been saying. I've never seen someone pretend to know so much they don't know as you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom