Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you describe the system he likes to run?
TheCusian posted this on the Rocky Long thread. It gives an excellent description of how the system developed over the years and where it is today.

Yes, good point. Also guys like Linton and Gouldbourne were stand up DE's/OLB in HS so its a easier transition for them. Josh Black is a perfect 5 tech.
Perfect spot for Black. We also seem to have a number of kids, including the incoming class, with real length who are no where near ideal weight for traditional DE but would be great fits for hybrid DE/LB role in the 3-3-5.

I think this will make the transition much easier than it might be at a lot of other programs.

Gotta think that Arnette (likely with Rocky's blessing) coming here is also an indication of the level of talent on the defensive side of the ball. Makes me more excited

Maybe Josh Black goes back to DE with McKinley Williams and Curtis Harper manning the NT spot?

The big winner IMO is Tyrell Richards. Perfect for this scheme.

Yeah I'm really excited to watch Richards in this scheme. He seems like a great fit for the hybrid OLB/DE spot

tenor (1).gif

Im excited about the hire. His numbers speak for themselves. My concerns will be fitting current players into the 3-5. He has to fit his pieces in for max production and we need to be better now. Not sure if we can be as good as we can be next season because of a scheme switch. Some DT's will have to play 5 tech's. DE's will have to play some OLB. They will have to learn different reads, techniques, different run and pass fit responsibilities.
Josh Black and Terrell Richards are going to be the biggest beneficiary of this system change in my opinion.

if Rocky wants a payday and retirement from SDSU.
Maybe he becomes an analyst for Syracuse and helps this guy as a consultant.
Or atleast we can hope that.
Other than that hope he is a good hire.
Does this guy recruit CA?

Just looked on 742 on SDSU and see they got the 245 best guy in the nation in 2015. Idk how much Arnett May have done with that but seeing the player was a OLB I’m sure he had something to do eith it. I think he can recruit

Perfect spot for Black. We also seem to have a number of kids, including the incoming class, with real length who are no where near ideal weight for traditional DE but would be great fits for hybrid DE/LB role in the 3-3-5.

I think this will make the transition much easier than it might be at a lot of other programs.
Does Black go to DE in this scheme or no? Didn’t love Black at DT at his weight. Black at DE another story and it lets him even shed a few pounds.

Guys like Richards Linton Gouldbourne Cantin can all play OLB and also play at the LOS rushing the passer or being force players vs the run. Guys like Black, Bear are athletic enough to play the 5 tech. Other guys that can play 5 techs are Rondi, Okechukwu, Munoz, Dawson and Tuazama. Kingsley and Morton will have to fit in. Kingsley needs to be on the field no matter what

Guys like Richards Linton Gouldbourne Cantin can all play OLB and also play at the LOS rushing the passer or being force players vs the run. Guys like Black, Bear are athletic enough to play the 5 tech. Other guys that can play 5 techs are Rondi, Okechukwu, Munoz, Dawson and Tuazama. Kingsley and Morton will have to fit in. Kingsley needs to be on the field no matter what

I respect your knowledge greatly, and I am a fan that never actually played football, so please help me out with something: It's hard not to get caught up in the excitement of this hire and the apparent unanimity of its approval, and I see where it may help with our current personnel, but how does this help us stop the run? We take out an interior DL, and maybe increase our ability to attack on the edges, but up the middle looks vulnerable, especially given our recent track record. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom