zone The game has passed JB by | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

zone The game has passed JB by

cuz yeah Mitchell/Johnson/King/Mamoud/Spalding just isn't enough to contend with an unathletic team

You mean that Spalding that McDonough commented on that got nothing and didn't like it, which got no kind of a playful response from Dakich? ;)

Same with Gonzaga. We were dead before the press. I just don't get why posters are villainized for wanting to deploy a myriad of defenses. I personally envy how Louisville plays. Yes, keep some 2-3. Someone should post a poll on here regarding this topic. I don't think the rubes would like the results. It's getting unreal how you can't criticize/critique the coach or team these days. People are acting like we're some world beater 3 seed or something right now. We have work to do still...lots!
Same with Gonzaga. We were dead before the press. I just don't get why posters are villainized for wanting to deploy a myriad of defenses. I personally envy how Louisville plays. Yes, keep some 2-3. Someone should post a poll on here regarding this topic. I don't think the rubes would like the results. It's getting unreal how you can't criticize/critique the coach or team these days. People are acting like we're some world beater 3 seed or something right now. We have work to do still...lots!

Gonzaga scored 60 pts. The zone was pretty good. It was a close game. You don't get why posters are villanized for wanting to deploy a myriad of defenses? I do. Because that's not what we do and it's not going to happen and we've been very successful doing what we do. You're a big fan of Louisville? How did their defense look tonight against UVA? Got carved up. Maybe they should have played 100% zone.

You mean that Spalding that McDonough commented on that got nothing and didn't like it, which got no kind of a playful response from Dakich? ;)

The athletic Spalding kid?

Howard is only a sophomore and still could be a good player. Joseph was recruited by Uconn and several other strong programs. So Syracuse wasn't the only team that was wrong on him.

You're not wrong, but we still were wrong and they were misses.

Two final fours in four years. Excellent. But tomorrow is tomorrow. What is the blueprint for sustained success to build from that? Are we on the right path? I don't believe so.

Some of the posts in this thread are silly. Jim IMO did a really poor job managing the roster for the first half of the year. Yes, there were some internal things going on but that's part of life.

The criticism he received was more than warranted.

Also, we are still far from a sure thing to make the tourney and this talent is certainly worthy of being in.
You know the coach well enough to call him Jim?

And 100% zone would have us losing to Okla St in 2003. And ND in 2003. And Pitt in 2003. Kansas in 2008. The list goes on...

Does the list go on? Kansas? Maybe. Oklahoma State? We won by 17. We've got 500 wins of straight zone that says otherwise.

Two final fours in four years. Excellent. But tomorrow is tomorrow. What is the blueprint for sustained success to build from that? Are we on the right path? I don't believe so.

Tomorrow is tomorrow. Eggs are eggs. The blueprint for success is still working, as we just beat two Top 10 teams.

All true.
Their programs may not be in better shape overall...but the Orange embarrassed themselves against all 3 teams this season.
The G-town loss casts a cloud over all the accomplishments since... even if we run the table against Duke and Louisville.

Does this have anything to do with the 2-3 zone?
Perhaps.
Our old BE rival coaches know it and know how to beat it.
And beat it they did.

If your defense is being beaten could it help to change things up?
Yes...if the team is capable and trained to do other things.

Yeah...I don't buy that. Anytime you lose a rivalry game it's not an embarrassment. St John's and BC were embarrassing. But losing to Uconn (we choked) and the Gtown game was close. Gtown just beat Xavier or Butler on the road as well.

Our defense just beat two Top 1o teams. What happened in December, as we saw last year, may not matter much if we go on another FF run.

You're not wrong, but we still were wrong and they were misses.

So everyone was wrong on Joseph? How is that an indictment of the staff again? Not every player works out. Howard is not a miss. He's only a soph.

Tomorrow is tomorrow. Eggs are eggs. The blueprint for success is still working, as we just beat two Top 10 teams.

We don't know if it's still working. It's TBD. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, if I'm not I'm not. We'll see.

We don't know if it's still working. It's TBD. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, if I'm not I'm not. We'll see.

2 Final Fours and currently in 3rd place in the ACC says you're wrong.

So everyone was wrong on Joseph? How is that an indictment of the staff again? Not every player works out. Howard is not a miss. He's only a soph.
Not every player does but you don't go through a 4 year period missing on the amount of guys we missed on and expect success. I don't need to list the names, you know them and I know them.

So the healthy Louisville team got dunked on by Virginia too?

I don't believe that was the case in the first game, UL being dunked all over, but rather UVA being UVA in their typical methodical offensive fashion. However, go ahead though and disregard the comment I made about how Louisville is a different team today vs. then (when healthy and their full array of players available), as we appear to be as well...see Johnnies loss, etc.

I'm also confused by your 'athletic' responses when responding to me as I have not implied that UVA doesn't have athletic players.

2 Final Fours and currently in 3rd place in the ACC says you're wrong.

And having not one top 100 prospect in your recruiting class while having 5 open roster spots says you're wrong.

Not every player does but you don't go through a 4 year period missing on the amount of guys we missed on and expect success. I don't need to list the names, you know them and I know them.

4 year period? you mean 1 player? We played in the FF last year. Did you miss it?

And having not one top 100 prospect in your recruiting class while having 5 open roster spots says you're wrong.

Oh...so you're talking about recruiting rankings and down the road? Let me know when we get to the future and it's suddenly not working. We've done a pretty good job identifying kids like Lydon and Thompson and Rautins and Warrick and AO that the recruiting rankings didnt like much.

I don't believe that was the case in the first game, UL being dunked all over, but rather UVA being UVA in their typical methodical offensive fashion. However, go ahead though and disregard the comment I made about how Louisville is a different team today vs. then (when healthy and their full array of players available), as we appear to be as well...see Johnnies loss, etc.

I'm also confused by your 'athletic' responses when responding to me as I have not implied that UVA doesn't have athletic players.

It was the case if you watched the game. UVA routed Louisville at Louisville and they did what they did tonight. someone tried to make the point about UVA not being athletic, which is not the case.

4 year period? you mean 1 player? We played in the FF last year. Did you miss it?

Last year was great. We won games, played well in the tournament and caught some nice breaks. But I don't care what you say or our coach says, that was at best our 4th best team in 6 years.

Oh...so you're talking about recruiting rankings and down the road? Let me know when we get to the future and it's suddenly not working. We've done a pretty good job identifying kids like Lydon and Thompson and Rautins and Warrick and AO that the recruiting rankings didnt like much.

Guys slip through the rankings, but citing players from 15 years ago doesn't help your cause.

Guys slip through the rankings, but citing players from 15 years ago doesn't help your cause.

Rautins played 15 years ago? Or 5 years ago? Thompson and Lydon are on the current roster. Correct? That helps my cause a lot.

image.jpg

Last year was great. We won games, played well in the tournament and caught some nice breaks. But I don't care what you say or our coach says, that was at best our 4th best team in 6 years.

And we went to the FF. But you'd rather go 25-0, finish 2nd in the ACC and lose in the first round? No thanks.

Flynn, MCW, Ennis...boom, boom, boom, Ennis leaves early. A lot of programs thought Joseph was good. He didn't work out. Howard showed promise as a freshman and sophomore. He's just a sophomore. Gillon is doing a nice job in his 1 year, and G took us to a FF. I think JB has done a good job with what he has.

Dude we are talking about now. Howard sucks and most likely won't be back. He also played ZERO PG in H.S. Gillon was a desperation/emergency addition. I like him for sure. Gbinjie was an emergency fill in for Joseph at PG. Joseph was a bust and the staff recognized it well in advance. That was not the original plan for Mike. Hats off to everyone making that work. I said it last year that Silent G was the Most Valuable Player here since Carmelo.

Nobody was knocking Arizona or Kansas' body of work. Just pointing out how hard it is to make a FF, let alone 2 in four years. Both of those programs recruit at a much higher level than Syracuse. Why are they not getting to FF's? We are, with poor recruiting, right? And a coach that has the game that has passed him by. :)

Well I will hand it to you. Finally somebody that agrees with Arizona getting better players than us. Take a look at their Tournament history under Miller. Many years they were up against a gauntlet in terms of finally losing to a Wisconsin/Duke/UConn. The teams they knocked off to get to those E8 were loaded. Yet, their recruiting hasn't missed a beat. They are a serious threat to go all the way. Syracuse is on the bubble...again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom