zone The game has passed JB by | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

zone The game has passed JB by

Well I will hand it to you. Finally somebody that agrees with Arizona getting better players than us. Take a look at their Tournament history under Miller. Many years they were up against a gauntlet in terms of finally losing to a Wisconsin/Duke/UConn. The teams they knocked off to get to those E8 were loaded. Yet, their recruiting hasn't missed a beat. They are a serious threat to go all the way. Syracuse is on the bubble...again.

Sorority Girls at the University of Arizona Make the Hottest Recruitment Video of All Time

SU has some nice girls from Long Island.

In diplomacy, if our current staff can't teach man to man, then they, imo, have absolutely no business being a coach at this level.

Man to man is the standard, period. These student-athletes prior to getting to the Hill have played it their entire lives, in reality, it's the only defense they competently know/understand. Syracuse's/JB's zone is more complex, and an outlier when considering about what 98% that is taught/used out there.

JB has had tremendous success with the zone, and since he's the captain of the ship, chooses to play it, and it exclusively. However, when JB states that our players (high level athletes) can't play man to man, not even a wink, well, that's just JB being JB, and uttering his version of 'alternative facts.' We don't play man to man at SU anymore (JB did in the past) because JB simply chooses not to do so.

Somehow, all these players at other schools that we have recruited (some quite heavily) are managing to play it at their respective institutions. If you believe everything JB claims, than not a one would've had the capacity to play it here.

As example. Check out Battle in HS. Great D.

I love the way he was driving to the rim like a lightning bolt against UVA. I hope we see more of that tonight!

Dude we are talking about now. Howard sucks and most likely won't be back. He also played ZERO PG in H.S. Gillon was a desperation/emergency addition. I like him for sure. Gbinjie was an emergency fill in for Joseph at PG. Joseph was a bust and the staff recognized it well in advance. That was not the original plan for Mike. Hats off to everyone making that work. I said it last year that Silent G was the Most Valuable Player here since Carmelo.
Now, like the recent past, because just last year we got Battle and the year before we got Mal - both big time, good players. It seems rash to me that you are basing your opinion to oust JB on one uncompleted year (remember at this time last year we didn't have Battle yet).

To label 5th year transfers as "desperation" shows you are IMO being somewhat naïve in recognizing SU's new strategy. Because IMO, JB is then being deliberately "desperate" again this year, consciously choosing not to offer recruits in the tier of KJ2 or FH and instead waiting out for the cream of the grad transfer crew. JB casually mentioned in one of his pressers that at least as many grad trannies look to be available this coming year - pay attention. IMO, for the '17-'18 season the selection and recruitment of this 5th yr pg is a much bigger deal than QG.

JB adjusted his strategy due to sanctions. To not recognize the recruiting success of bringing in AW3 shows once again you have an agenda. The guy was, and is, a stud. JB has set the table to do it again. While it may seem risky to us, there is no way to conclude recruiting for "17-'18 over.

Now, like the recent past, because just last year we got Battle and the year before we got Mal - both big time, good players. It seems rash to me that you are basing your opinion to oust JB on one uncompleted year (remember at this time last year we didn't have Battle yet).

To label 5th year transfers as "desperation" shows you are IMO being somewhat naïve in recognizing SU's new strategy. Because IMO, JB is then being deliberately "desperate" again this year, consciously choosing not to offer recruits in the tier of KJ2 or FH and instead waiting out for the cream of the grad transfer crew. JB casually mentioned in one of his pressers that at least as many grad trannies look to be available this coming year - pay attention. IMO, for the '17-'18 season the selection and recruitment of this 5th yr pg is a much bigger deal than QG.

JB adjusted his strategy due to sanctions. To not recognize the recruiting success of bringing in AW3 shows once again you have an agenda. The guy was, and is, a stud. JB has set the table to do it again. While it may seem risky to us, there is no way to conclude recruiting for "17-'18 over.

Boeheim doesn't want to do this - it really is a desperation strategy.

It's great that Gillon and White have played well in recent weeks, but Boeheim hates having old guys come in and flounder for three months. If he had his druthers he'd only play upperclassmen who have the system down cold in November.

Boeheim doesn't want to do this - it really is a desperation strategy.

It's great that Gillon and White have played well in recent weeks, but Boeheim hates having old guys come in and flounder for three months. If he had his druthers he'd only play upperclassmen who have the system down cold in November.
I believe it is a strategy adopted in large part because of sanctions. But I think it is in full use now, especially for '17-'18.
And if JB had to choose between an 18 yr old mid-range recruit or a 22 year old seasoned college player, I think he is choosing the later.

I also think JB will do better integrating the 5th years next year. AW3 came late and was learning two positions while JG was coming off the bench. Next year I think JB will have more defined roles and responsibilities to get these 5th years up to speed quicker.

Well I will hand it to you. Finally somebody that agrees with Arizona getting better players than us. Take a look at their Tournament history under Miller. Many years they were up against a gauntlet in terms of finally losing to a Wisconsin/Duke/UConn. The teams they knocked off to get to those E8 were loaded. Yet, their recruiting hasn't missed a beat. They are a serious threat to go all the way. Syracuse is on the bubble...again.

And then there are these facts:
  • Arizona hasn't been to the Final Four since 2001 and has never been under Miller the great recruiter
  • 8 out of our last 20 high school recruits have earned or are currently earning an NBA pay check (Malachi, McCullough, Ennis, Grant, Carter-Williams, Dion, Fab Melo and soon Lydon). This is not counting this year's class with two pretty good players in Battle and Lydon.
  • We have also gone 2 for 2 in transfers making the NBA (Michael G and Wes).
Too lazy to look it up but I highly doubt Arizona under Miller has done better or equal.

Cuse!

And we went to the FF. But you'd rather go 25-0, finish 2nd in the ACC and lose in the first round? No thanks.

No, but I like steamrolling throughout the season destroying teams one by one and enjoying months of a season rather than limping through the season watching bad basketball and win a few games in March. To each his own.

Last edited:
Dude we are talking about now. Howard sucks and most likely won't be back. He also played ZERO PG in H.S. Gillon was a desperation/emergency addition. I like him for sure. Gbinjie was an emergency fill in for Joseph at PG. Joseph was a bust and the staff recognized it well in advance. That was not the original plan for Mike. Hats off to everyone making that work. I said it last year that Silent G was the Most Valuable Player here since Carmelo.

I give him a tie with Rak from the year before.

Rautins played 15 years ago? Or 5 years ago? Thompson and Lydon are on the current roster. Correct? That helps my cause a lot.

No, but Warrick did. And Rautins was over recruited 10 years ago. Think time is passing you by dude.

To label 5th year transfers as "desperation" shows you are IMO being somewhat naïve in recognizing SU's new strategy.

It wasn't a "new strategy", we had open spots and nobody in High School came here and that's why we have Gillon and White.

I'm not complaining we had them and we're better off for THIS year with them than a couple of lower ranked recruits, but I find it hard to believe that was the strategy.

No, but I like steamrolling throughout the season destroying teams one by one and enjoying months of a season than limping through the season watching bad basketball and win a few guys in March. To each his own.
This. There is something therapeutic about destroying teams. It's also a lot easier on my nerves. March is such a crap shoot so you can't ever depend on that. And the bottom line is that regular season success is usually the best harbinger of post-season success.

I like winning NCAA games the best. I like winning ACC games the next best. And obviously winning every game is the best case scenario.

I don't get arguing over which is better. Just win every game you can and try to be the last team standing.

I'm entertained by Syracuse Basketball every year. And that is good.

It wasn't a "new strategy", we had open spots and nobody in High School came here and that's why we have Gillon and White.

I'm not complaining we had them and we're better off for THIS year with them than a couple of lower ranked recruits, but I find it hard to believe that was the strategy.
But what about '17-'18? It looks to me like the staff is deliberately choosing 5th years over lower ranked recruits. The possible new recruits probably realize SU is intending to add a 5th year.

Of course we are better off this year with Gillon and AW3. And with this practice run behind us I feel next years 5th years will get a faster learning curve and up to speed much quicker.

Gillon and White were last second emergencies. Boeheim said so on the pod with Katz and Greenburg. BECAUSE of recruiting misses and Mal leaving early with a late in the process decision. Guards such as Joseph, Buss, now Howard were busts. We had ONE guard (Howard who isn't a PG) on the existing roster late in the summer! That's crazy. So basically no PG. That's crazy! In comes Gillon who has been great. Same with White. I never blamed White/Gillon for any of the struggles. I blamed the staff for mis-managing the roster and recruiting misses. Those two have been awesome and have saved us. It was absolutely a desperation/emergency move by the staff. Fortunately it worked out!

All the top recruits are gone for 2017! Certainly the good ones. We need guards! We probably will need to go the same route as the staff did acquiring Gillon. Maybe the staff gets Duarte for 2017 who does look like a real gem. Who knows about Ayala and his reclassification potential.

Last edited:

So we missed on 1 point guard?

You're making my point. We are making Final Fours with lesser talent than Arizona and Kansas. How could we be on the bubble? There a month left in the season.

No, but I like steamrolling throughout the season destroying teams one by one and enjoying months of a season rather than limping through the season watching bad basketball and win a few games in March. To each his own.

You can always go root for Kansas or Gonzaga then.

This. There is something therapeutic about destroying teams. It's also a lot easier on my nerves. March is such a crap shoot so you can't ever depend on that. And the bottom line is that regular season success is usually the best harbinger of post-season success.

It's not happening in the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom