Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

Wish Brycen well in his new opportunity. Kind of surprised that he is going to a school where they now have 5 good to pretty good guards. The article listed AJ Reeves and David Duke among other guards. Both are very good guards that were ranked in the top 50 ish high school players in their respective senior years. Hopefully, he is not going into the same situation that he left.

That didn't take long. Probably in the works for a long time.

What I find interesting is that JB didn't always substitute, or refrain from it, the way he does now. I've watched a few old games lately ranging from the '80's up until the 2009 6 OT game. He used to rest starters a little. Can you imagine Sherman Douglas coming out of games today? As a starter he averaged 32, 34, and 35 minutes per game. Coleman averaged 30, 32, 33, and 35. Carmelo averaged 36.

If those guys can sit a few minutes per game, I don't get how there can be such a talent drop off that minutes can't be found now to develop a bench with Joe and Buddy as the starters. It's as if JB has forgotten how he did things in the past.

The 2010 and 2012 teams which had reliable 7 man rotations. Asking Jimmy to play more than 7 is asking him a lot... and 7 is totally fine, if the 6 and 7 men are getting good minutes.

I don't think he is against playing 7 players now -- I just don't think he feels he has 7 reliable players.

I wonder if he realized he wouldn't get a fair shot at playing time with the coaches son playing 35 minutes a night. While Buddy is a good shooter, Brycen has more potential. Just a shot in the dark.

Wish Brycen well in his new opportunity. Kind of surprised that he is going to a school where they now have 5 good to pretty good guards. The article listed AJ Reeves and David Duke among other guards. Both are very good guards that were ranked in the top 50 ish high school players in their respective senior years. Hopefully, he is not going into the same situation that he left.

Providence typically plays 3 guard lineups... I think even up to 4 if you include Diallo who was listed as a guard at 6-7.. I think its safe to say he was a forward last year.

4 of their 6 minute leaders last year were listed as guards (I am considering Diallo as a forward) -- they all averaged over 21 minutes a game.

Not sure if he got the sense that was ever going to happen here.

Last edited:

And they all played 20+ mins per game. Significantly different then the 5-7mpg he'd probably get here since substitutions only come via injury or foul trouble.

Honestly think Carey and Goodine have considerable ceilings. Doesn’t matter now

I do too, but I think Carey has a long way to go and really needs the right system and role. He needs to be able to pressure the ball on defense, and then leak out on offense. Any team that presses a lot where he can use his speed and athleticism, and then pushes the tempo on offense - because he can run the floor and finish in transition - but he’s not bringing much to the table in the halfcourt settings at this point.

Goodine, I think will be a solid player. The year off will help him too. By the time he’s a 3rd year soph, he should be able to step right into a solid role for PC. I think the key with him is just how good of a shooter is he/will he be? He’s got a decent looking stroke and is touted as a good shooter but he didn’t shoot well this year in limited chances. I think that will decide his ceiling.

The 2010 and 2012 teams which had reliable 7 man rotations. Asking Jimmy to play more than 7 is asking him a lot... and 7 is totally fine, if the 6 and 7 men are getting good minutes.

I don't think he is against playing 7 players now -- I just don't think he feels he has 7 reliable players.
2012 team went 10 deep.
MCW was the 10th guy and he actually got into the first half of the Wisconsin game.
That depth allowed JB to press and actually helped keep the Ohio State game close with all the foul trouble.

If we have a top 7 like 2010 then playing a short rotation makes sense.
Wes Johnson was BE POY.
None of those 7 weren’t really good.

Brycen probably felt equal or better to those playing ahead of him ALL THE MINUTES...

we aren't privy to practice and pickup but yeah...pretty sure he had to be like What to jump like this...nothing else makes sense.

makes it especially tough to shine in your garbage minutes when you know there's a short leash and even if you do well it wont change the favoritism keeping you benched.

carey, howash, goodine...leaving...

battle and brissett left earlier than necessary...

behind the scenes...the players know whats really going on. and dont agree. and they usually know better than fans, imo. the evidence is indisputable at this point, imo.

for SU looking ahead it doesnt matter...just pickup players in the transfer portal that will come in comfortable with whatever role they are offered...but overall not a good way to run a program...makes me think when buddy leaves jb will too.

Pretty interesting that he's going to a roster loaded with guards, and that's where he thinks he'll have a better shot at playing time.

2012 team went 10 deep.
MCW was the 10th guy and he actually got into the first half of the Wisconsin game.
That depth allowed JB to press and actually helped keep the Ohio State game close with all the foul trouble.

Wes Johnson was BE POY.

You are right -- 2012 was 10 deep. Although I guess same point -- JB will play more players if he trusts them.

Pretty interesting that he's going to a roster loaded with guards, and that's where he thinks he'll have a better shot at playing time.

They often play 3 guards, and 4 guards played over 21 minutes a game last year.

Playing 2 or 3 guards, and with a coach who like to rest his players a bit more, makes a big difference.

2012 team went 10 deep.

Wes Johnson was BE POY.

So I just found the Syracuse/BYU game from 2004 on YouTube and watched it this weekend because there was nothing else on. That wasn’t a particularly deep team but even a very raw Terence Roberts and Louie McCroskey got time in that game and were allowed some freedom to make mistakes. 8 guys played legitimate minutes in that game.

Hell, Gerry McNamara had one of the greatest games by any player in a Cuse uniform and Boeheim took him out for a minute or 2 to get a rest in a tight game.

I generally support Jim as a basketball tactician but his substitution and roster management the past few years has been brutal.

Brycen probably felt equal or better to those playing ahead of him ALL THE MINUTES...

we aren't privy to practice and pickup but yeah...pretty sure he had to be like What to jump like this...nothing else makes sense.

makes it especially tough to shine in your garbage minutes when you know there's a short leash and even if you do well it wont change the favoritism keeping you benched.

carey, howash, goodine...leaving...

battle and brissett left earlier than necessary...

behind the scenes...the players know whats really going on. and dont agree. and they usually know better than fans, imo. the evidence is indisputable at this point, imo.

for SU looking ahead it doesnt matter...just pickup players in the transfer portal that will come in comfortable with whatever role they are offered...but overall not a good way to run a program...makes me think when buddy leaves jb will too.

Oh please. :rolleyes:

Leaving early to go Pro, is because they want to go Pro.
Period, full stop.

Nobody's dream is to play for Syracuse, and then - that's it.

And they ALL want to PLAY, so leaving for what they perceive as a better chance at PT -
it's understandable.

The #narrative is strong with this one.

What I find interesting is that JB didn't always substitute, or refrain from it, the way he does now. I've watched a few old games lately ranging from the '80's up until the 2009 6 OT game. He used to rest starters a little. Can you imagine Sherman Douglas coming out of games today? As a starter he averaged 32, 34, and 35 minutes per game. Coleman averaged 30, 32, 33, and 35. Carmelo averaged 36.

If those guys can sit a few minutes per game, I don't get how there can be such a talent drop off that minutes can't be found now to develop a bench with Joe and Buddy as the starters. It's as if JB has forgotten how he did things in the past.

Maybe that says more about the guys on the bench than it does about the coach changing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom