Closer Look @ SU Unis | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Closer Look @ SU Unis

When did this become the board for the Rhode Island School of Design?

Now back to football talk.

Capt. Tuttle said:
When did this become the board for the Rhode Island School of Design? Now back to football talk.

You could start a thread about "football" and not reply to this one.

That's an option.

The last two years have been close to perfect. Like the crossed 4's. Everything else is crap.

What was wrong with this?

Ryan+Nassib+Syracuse+v+USC+Ot5mr0G0ahTl.jpg
ncf_u_nassib_b1_576.jpg

It's really difficult to judge a uniform until you see 11 players on the field wearing them in action.

Some look good in a photo, and lousy on the field or court. And vice versa.

I definitely prefer more orange, but given some of the atrocities we see in the college game these days, I don't think these are the end of the world. And the crossed 44 is freakin' sweet, that's not debatable.

04172014_S_ThreeNewJerseys_ConnorMartin_SP.jpg

BTW Charlie looks sad.

Do we really want that?

I've gotten used to them, except the grey. Can't stand that dingy look. The helmets would look better if the fade was mostly orange into blue instead of the reverse. Just my 2 cents.

What was wrong with this?

Ryan+Nassib+Syracuse+v+USC+Ot5mr0G0ahTl.jpg
ncf_u_nassib_b1_576.jpg

When current players and recruits saw it, they said hmm... 2011. It's been 3 years and tons of other schools have had a bunch of looks since then. I personally like them too. But I'm 36 and not wearing them.

Here's the measurement. Jazz them up, redesign them, do whatever. But when the team takes the field and someone on TV is watching, does the viewer say, "That's SU". Other teams that are "modernizing" their uni's still look like their school (for the most part anyways). These uni's do not say SU. They should regardless of the style or the age of the viewer.

bnoro said:
They're awesome, and they're not changing regardless of what anyone here has to say, so quit complaining. Cheers.

They'll change.

I've followed SU football for about 50 years and I've seen about 40 different uniforms.

They'll change.

I've followed SU football for about 50 years and I've seen about 40 different uniforms.
I mean in the next 5 years or so.

I think the next AD will have a lot of say, so I wouldn't be so sure about the next 5 years. Also, a lot of these complaints would be gone if they unveiled the look in a much better way- like showing the orange jerseys for example.

bnoro said:
I mean in the next 5 years or so.

Perhaps. But we've had about three different unis in the last five years.

Here's the measurement. Jazz them up, redesign them, do whatever. But when the team takes the field and someone on TV is watching, does the viewer say, "That's SU". Other teams that are "modernizing" their uni's still look like their school (for the most part anyways). These uni's do not say SU. They should regardless of the style or the age of the viewer.

I think the white top with blue pants, with the helmet from last year probably would say SU.

That said, those damn Orange unis that show up next year, that stuff will scream SU IMO

Last edited:
Orange helmet, white jersey, grey pants would be a nice, clean look for the road. I like the uniforms except for the weird numbers but I could see that or something else being altered for next season.

rrlbees said:

This is not how change works.

The age of the viewer is the almost the whole thing. For my kids (been to the dome once) - their formative fan years (hopefully) will be this uni-combo. For others it's the McNabb era. For most young-ish fans now the helmet without the "S" looks weird. Uni's and identity and logos are always relative, always take time to "be"...

The uni's will say "SU" about ten minutes into the first game. Then we can all talk about football again.

Can everyone shut up about the lack of orange in the uniforms?

Maybe we should roll out orange turf with orange helmets and facemasks, orange jerseys with orange numbers and orange pants; orange socks and shoes... Orange gloves and orange gatorade.

My god my head is spinning.

The identity of syracuse football over the past 25+ years is orange and blue. Simply put. We can evolve.

Unlike other dying institutions of modern football, were trying to rejuvenate an identity. I personally think it's cool. Let's move on. There is enough orange to make it mean more...

Can everyone shut up about the lack of orange in the uniforms?

Maybe we should roll out orange turf with orange helmets and facemasks, orange jerseys with orange numbers and orange pants; orange socks and shoes... Orange gloves and orange gatorade.

My god my head is spinning.

The identity of syracuse football over the past 25+ years is orange and blue. Simply put. We can evolve.

Unlike other dying institutions of modern football, were trying to rejuvenate an identity. I personally think it's cool. Let's move on. There is enough orange to make it mean more...
orange_you_glad_i_said_hi__by_xx_mr_no_name_xx-d5rm168.png

Head spinning is right. I agree there needs to be more orange, but if we went all orange, someone will complain about that also. It's unavoidable.

People complained during the Grob era, and yes those all orange unis were horrible. But the P era all orange were nicey nice.

But as someone has already stated, SU's unis have evolved over the last century plus, and will continue to do so as long as there is a program. Someday, someone will complain when they get rid of the 44 degree angles.

Attachments

• image-1435150440.jpg
    image-1435150440.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 86
Have any of the other P5 schools "evolved" over the last 25+ years?

I don't remember Michigan changing their color scheme to "Maize and Platinum", or Penn State thinking that blue helmets, blue jerseys, and blue pants was a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom