Closer Look @ SU Unis | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Closer Look @ SU Unis

Which one of these is not like the other? Which one of these doesn't belong?

CarterHome.jpg

04172014_S_ThreeNewJerseys_ConnorMartin_SP.jpg

By the way, I can't be the only one who saw the numbers on the new jerseys and immediately had really awful flashbacks to this:

syracuse-logo_medium.gif

The defense of the new uniforms by a minority on here comes off as more extreme and aggressive than any of the criticism of the uniforms. Fact is, there are obvious flaws with the new look:

The numbers are illegible on the blue jerseys. This isn't a subjective criticism. Whether it's the 2005 road hoops jerseys, the Robinson-era blue jerseys, or those ridiculous black jerseys that Adidas pushed on Notre Dame's basketball team two years ago, dark numbers on dark jerseys don't work without some light-colored outline. Nike should be embarrassed that it continues to put out a faulty product after years of evidence that it has a functional defect. Observers are right to criticize this.

Virtually everyone agrees that branding is important. (This is why the school moved to a single athletics logo, right? And why the entire coaching staff wears the same golf shirt?) With a number of different jerseys, none of which emphasizes the sole school color or even indicates the team or school name, the team's identity cannot be readily ascertained by the average viewer. Again, this is a failure at a very basic level.

Finally, I think the grey uniforms are hideous. This holds true for a lot of teams, but especially for those who don't have grey as a primary or even complementary color.

I disagree. The hate towards the new uniforms is extreme and aggressive. Outside of the gray, they haven't changed that much. It's a massive over-reaction.

The orange numbers on navy differs from the Gerg Robinson era uni's in that they the orange is brighter and the blue is darker. Providing contrast. Also - HD tv's and modern broadcasts visual tools largely make this a moot point.

Branding is important. The fault is not with multiple jerseys. Oregon has 1 billion variations some without a logo at all - this is a part of their brand. We're not lost during a broadcast - because ESPN and CBS and all major programmers of sports have the names of the team on the screen at all times. If you're at a game and you're not sure who's playing - you've been drugged. Seek help.

This many uni's fad might not be the most effective branding tool - but it's the freshest. Folks who have been watching Penn State or Alabama since the 70's probably don't get it - because they are not meant to. It's been said a thousand times - and I'm not sure there has been a good response: The primary audience for a uni is not the average 30-40 something fan - it's the players who wear them.

Gray is a neutral color by nature. It's much like white - in that it's use largely fades, punching up the highlight colors. I don't love the all gray with blue helmet (not enough orange) - but you throw an orange helmet on that? It will look amazing.

Also: I'd love to see a matte orange helmet with a glossy orange "S" - it would be a nod to the all orange helmets of the past - yet fresh for 2014.

the people who defend the uni's always use the fall back...well the kids like em!! argument.

please, they will like whatever theyre shown, they just made it to a D1 program.

then theres the recruiting angle...the uni lovers must really think SS is a buffoon, Gmac cant recruit and the kids are just drugged animals following scooby snacks (blue unis) into the meat grinder with the big S logo on it.

which is fine.

just come out and say it and defend your position without hiding the truth.

the people who defend the uni's always use the fall back...well the kids like em!! argument.

please, they will like whatever theyre shown, they just made it to a D1 program.

then theres the recruiting angle...the uni lovers must really think SS is a buffoon, Gmac cant recruit and the kids are just drugged animals following scooby snacks (blue unis) into the meat grinder with the big S logo on it.

which is fine.

just come out and say it and defend your position without hiding the truth.

What are you going to do about it Kaiser? Not be a fan anymore? Not donate money anymore? Not go to games anymore? Its a friggin jersey(s). Jesus

What are you going to do about it Kaiser? Not be a fan anymore? Not donate money anymore? Not go to games anymore? Its a friggin jersey(s). Jesus
im going to get the Iron Sheik's take on it, thats what im going to do.

then you will see.

I'm bringing JarheadJimmy...he is the strongest kid in 5th grade...he kicked the crap out of a 7th grader last week I heard

Last edited:
KaiserUEO said:
the people who defend the uni's always use the fall back...well the kids like em!! argument. please, they will like whatever theyre shown, they just made it to a D1 program. then theres the recruiting angle...the uni lovers must really think SS is a buffoon, Gmac cant recruit and the kids are just drugged animals following scooby snacks (blue unis) into the meat grinder with the big S logo on it. which is fine. just come out and say it and defend your position without hiding the truth.

Don't have time to really respond - but those of us who take the position that uni's are for the players 1st and used as a recruiting tool are taking our cues from Scott Shafer himself.

Also - recruiting is about the total package of what you're offering: prestige, education, scholarship, good coaching, facilities, relationships, etc. Uni's are a part of the package of what we're offering. To what degree does it matter? Probably varies from kid to kid.

It's not a fall back position - it's the primary position of the head coach. It helps recruiting and players like new uni's. End of story.

Why have the replica versions of these new uniforms been made available for purchase. The T-Shirts are nice but I want the jersey!

The defense of the new uniforms by a minority on here comes off as more extreme and aggressive than any of the criticism of the uniforms. Fact is, there are obvious flaws with the new look:

The numbers are illegible on the blue jerseys. This isn't a subjective criticism. Whether it's the 2005 road hoops jerseys, the Robinson-era blue jerseys, or those ridiculous black jerseys that Adidas pushed on Notre Dame's basketball team two years ago, dark numbers on dark jerseys don't work without some light-colored outline. Nike should be embarrassed that it continues to put out a faulty product after years of evidence that it has a functional defect. Observers are right to criticize this.

Virtually everyone agrees that branding is important. (This is why the school moved to a single athletics logo, right? And why the entire coaching staff wears the same golf shirt?) With a number of different jerseys, none of which emphasizes the sole school color or even indicates the team or school name, the team's identity cannot be readily ascertained by the average viewer. Again, this is a failure at a very basic level.

Finally, I think the grey uniforms are hideous. This holds true for a lot of teams, but especially for those who don't have grey as a primary or even complementary color.
I nominate this as a contender for the worst post of the year... ridiculous.

DSellers12 said:
Why have the replica versions of these new uniforms been made available for purchase. The T-Shirts are nice but I want the jersey!

has them now. 90 buckaroos

Does everyone realize there are currently 27 iterations of this uniform? That doesn't include the addition of an orange jersey/pant or gray helmet.

Why don't we just wait and see them on the field as opposed to judging a beefed up Charley Loeb in a 44 jersey.

Pearl309 said:
Does everyone realize there are currently 27 iterations of this uniform? That doesn't include the addition of an orange jersey/pant or gray helmet. Why don't we just wait and see them on the field as opposed to judging a beefed up Charley Loeb in a 44 jersey.

Agreed. That orange helmet could be the thing that makes all the difference.

Does everyone realize there are currently 27 iterations of this uniform? That doesn't include the addition of an orange jersey/pant or gray helmet.

Why don't we just wait and see them on the field as opposed to judging a beefed up Charley Loeb in a 44 jersey.

I'd love this. Imagine if we had 70+ players on campus who could be shown wearing all of those different combinations in photos or videos...

ya those were cool in the late 80's and early 90's. not today.

and I have absolutely nothing wrong with the uniforms Nassib wore his Senior year. Those were beautiful and probably the best we've ever had. But then again those didn't have orange, and people weren't in an uproar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom