Does Dungey start this Saturday | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Does Dungey start this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chip said:
The just wow for me is the head coach who said he thought we might get one of those comeback type of things. Have you figured out the best contrarian counter for that one yet? For those who think there is at least one positive reason for bringing him back, is it because you're waiting to see if we can win 2 of these next 3? If yes, I'll say fair. If whatever your theory is holds if we finish with 3 wins, then I'm at a loss. The program would be too.

Like I and others have already said, it wasn't a comeback to win statement. That's why he also referenced a TD or two. Were we going to win with 2 TDs? Did you listen to the actual presser?

I don't disagree that we don't know who could become available with coaching changes etc but with our own team/program in dissary its highly unlikely a higher end guy who becomes available is going to pick Syracuse. Also as someone who follows recruiting closely you know that were not exactly in the running at this point at least for any high end guys right now at TE or WR.

Second my original post was about how this team needs some impact players at WR and TE because the talent right now is sorely lacking. My counter point to you was that a player like Womack right now isn't much help because Syracuse needs a player who can contribute immediately we don't have time for a 2-3 year project that may never work out ie Corenlius, Avant etc. i dont have any issue with the staff having Womack move to WR my point was getting another similar player at this point doesn't really do much.

Thirdly I have no idea what you mean by "You are the one who extrapolated out that you now know what is the best way to use players is". If that was in reference to me saying that I think it was pretty pointless for the staff to blow Womacks redshirt for him to take 5 garbage snaps at WR and then run around a few times a game on kick coverage then I stand by that. Otherwise you lost me.

Lastly Im sure this staff knows more about football then I could ever hope but some of the mistakes they have made recently makes that statement hard to swallow because 99% of the people on this board understand clock management better then our current HC and thats not an exaggeration.

Okay thanks for clarifying

Unless we swung and missed on a bunch of WRs (which would be bad - but OK), the lack of recruiting emphasis is baffling. It's not like you're trying to recruit 4 star linemen.

Thats my thought as well. I understand things went south with Cooper, KJ and some others but to bring in one WR in one class to me made zero sense especially knowing that outside of Ish there almost nothing in the way of high end young talent. Recruiting overall has been decent to good under this staff but some decisions ie WR and TE recruiting have been baffling.

Thats my thought as well. I understand things went south with Cooper, KJ and some others but to bring in one WR in one class to me made zero sense especially knowing that outside of Ish there almost nothing in the way of high end young talent. Recruiting overall has been decent to good under this staff but some decisions ie WR and TE recruiting have been baffling.

What position on the roster are Enoicy and Custis. Were they not in the last two classes? I see that you keep saying high end talent. I mean both of them were three star receivers I believe to use your criteria from earlier.

Chip said:
The just wow for me is the head coach who said he thought we might get one of those comeback type of things. Have you figured out the best contrarian counter for that one yet? For those who think there is at least one positive reason for bringing him back, is it because you're waiting to see if we can win 2 of these next 3? If yes, I'll say fair. If whatever your theory is holds if we finish with 3 wins, then I'm at a loss. The program would be too.

And I forgot to respond to the second half of your post. I've never taken a hard stance on whether to bring him back or not. I have said I'd bring him back next year because I think he'd been real snake bitten. All the injuries last year and the players we lost this year which weren't due to graduation. Some of his coaching decisions are magnified because we're losing. If we were winning, there's not near the complaints.

My posts have been more focused on how over the top people are getting and that if Coyle had a reason he wants to bring him back, it won't matter. Coyle will be dog meat too.

I stand by my opinion that if Coyle can't get the right fit (whatever he feels that fit is), he'll bring him back. I maintain that change for the sake of change is bad. It's one thing to make the wrong decision on Shafer and have another lost year. But it's probably worse to just bring in somebody hoping he's better then finding out its not any better and you're now stuck with that coach for 3 years and 4-5 of pay.

What position on the roster are Enoicy and Custis. Were they not in the last two classes? I see that you keep saying high end talent. I mean both of them were three star receivers I believe to use your criteria from earlier.

Custis was a big time guy who obviously hasn't made the impact most though he could/would. He was also three classes ago, I am talking about this past class and the current one. The last class had zero WR recruits and this one has just Palmer.

Enoicy was a late add who i think people got excited about because of a lot of interest from big time programs but without the actual offers. It is surprising to me Custis doesn't see the field a little more considering the lack of depth.

Unfortunately between the two of them Custis barely plays and Enoicy is far down the depth chart I am not sure he will ever see the field. Which is why one WR recruit for this current class is baffling.

Custis was a big time guy who obviously hasn't made the impact most though he could/would. He was also three classes ago, I am talking about this past class and the current one. The last class had zero WR recruits and this one has just Palmer.

Enoicy was a late add who i think people got excited about because of a lot of interest from big time programs but without the actual offers. It is surprising to me Custis doesn't see the field a little more considering the lack of depth.

Unfortunately between the two of them Custis barely plays and Enoicy is far down the depth chart I am not sure he will ever see the field. Which is why one WR recruit for this current class is baffling.

To be sure. Just was saying there are guys on the roster other than avant and Cornelius at WR. Yes agree bringing none in, is a bit shocking. Also as far TE we did bring in Dunk as a JUCO transfer, he just has been dinged up and then on the outside looking in. Again I am not trying to argue with people that have good points, as then it can be a discussion. I just don't think everything is black and white. At least you get a 3:30 kickoff and don't need to start cooking at 7:30 this week :)

And I forgot to respond to the second half of your post. I've never taken a hard stance on whether to bring him back or not. I have said I'd bring him back next year because I think he'd been real snake bitten. All the injuries last year and the players we lost this year which weren't due to graduation. Some of his coaching decisions are magnified because we're losing. If we were winning, there's not near the complaints.

My posts have been more focused on how over the top people are getting and that if Coyle had a reason he wants to bring him back, it won't matter. Coyle will be dog meat too.

I stand by my opinion that if Coyle can't get the right fit (whatever he feels that fit is), he'll bring him back. I maintain that change for the sake of change is bad. It's one thing to make the wrong decision on Shafer and have another lost year. But it's probably worse to just bring in somebody hoping he's better then finding out its not any better and you're now stuck with that coach for 3 years and 4-5 of pay.

Can't disagree, all comes down to the list he has and the confidence they have in said coach to right the ship. If Shafer does comes back, he couldn't get the right fit. I don't agree with it and I don't think Shafer is coming back because he keeps getting worse but certainly see the reasoning and I think the list will be rather long, but that is just me and what fans want or say doesn't mean shite

To be sure. Just was saying there are guys on the roster other than avant and Cornelius at WR. Yes agree bringing none in, is a bit shocking. Also as far TE we did bring in Dunk as a JUCO transfer, he just has been dinged up and then on the outside looking in. Again I am not trying to argue with people that have good points, as then it can be a discussion. I just don't think everything is black and white. At least you get a 3:30 kickoff and don't need to start cooking at 7:30 this week :)

Agreed, I would like to see Custis and Enoicy out there just to see what they can give us ditto for Womack, the shirt has blown lets see what he can do. I do think Dunk can make a good impact here but was really hoping the staff would grab one or two more TE guys with Moore and the other guy being Seniors next year and the young backups seemingly well behind the two upper class guys.

I have to admit not having to get up at 630-7am for a tailgate for the first time sicne the first home game will be real nice. Hope the weather improves though

Agreed, I would like to see Custis and Enoicy out there just to see what they can give us ditto for Womack, the shirt has blown lets see what he can do. I do think Dunk can make a good impact here but was really hoping the staff would grab one or two more TE guys with Moore and the other guy being Seniors next year and the young backups seemingly well behind the two upper class guys.

I have to admit not having to get up at 630-7am for a tailgate for the first time sicne the first home game will be real nice. Hope the weather improves though

I think the staff wants another TE also. Which is why we took the Clark Commit originally (probably gainst better judgement) and were heavy on Jay Rose. Kid just wanted to play QB tho. (Not that I wouldn't have said he could here also - LOL).

OburgOrange said:
So, I guess he's starting on Saturday

I'm not getting that sense. Is there a post saying he is? I've watched the tape a few times and he took a shot. Like I said Saturday it wasn't helmet to helmet although some maintained it was. It was more helmet to shoulder, collarbone chest area. The typical UBI, but not concussion, although I realize you can get a concussion just from the whiplash effect. Just doesn't look like that.

The 2nd part of my post wasn't necessarily to you, just from things I picked up in the thread.

There are of course going to be tons of over the top posts when we're in a situation like this. You and I have seen this movie plenty of times. I think my role in it has diminished (hopefully).

I think he's created some of the snakebit stuff himself, but obviously not all of it. It's some of the in-game decisions that I just don't get, and by year 3... Are we to assume we'll eventually have enough talent relative to our ACC peers to mask that, or that he just understands it better when he has better more experienced, more healthy players? I don't know.

The hard part for Coyle, but it's why guys take these jobs, is that you can't always have the timeline you want. You have to make your decision sometimes before figuring out if the perfect fit is available. So he may have to pull that trigger and go get the best fit he can. My opinion is that he can't do worse. I mean, Shafer really has no track record of being a good head coach. He may have earned this job with his performance as DC here, but so did Spaziani at BC. It doesn't mean much. So if the next guy isn't very good, I just don't think it matters. You just have to try again. The downside is minimal.

I'm not getting that sense. Is there a post saying he is? I've watched the tape a few times and he took a shot. Like I said Saturday it wasn't helmet to helmet although some maintained it was. It was more helmet to shoulder, collarbone chest area. The typical UBI, but not concussion, although I realize you can get a concussion just from the whiplash effect. Just doesn't look like that.
Wait, I thought you said earlier in this thread that he would start if he was healthy?

OburgOrange said:
Wait, I thought you said earlier in this thread that he would start if he was healthy?

I said he would, and should, play if the doctors cleared him.

HeaterCuse22 said:
You have said that if he's (a player) healthy he should go. Maybe not this week but in the past. No I am not digging for a link. LOL.

I have said if he's cleared to play by doctors he should play.

I said he would, and should, play if the doctors cleared him.

Wait so let me get this straight what you are saying is .. "If Dungey is healthy he would play ... "

wfschrec said:
Wait so let me get this straight what you are saying is .. "If Dungey is healthy he would play ... "

He may play, but once it gets out hand, he won't play.

wfschrec said:

There can be a subtle difference and I was just clarifying my words used for the word lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom