Does Dungey start this Saturday | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Does Dungey start this Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like a bunch on here have played football and never got hit hard enough they stayed down even though it had nothing to do with a concussion. i have hit the floor playing bball hard enough i laid out just to make sure nothing was broken and to catch my breath.

Alsacs said:
Why did SS take out against FSU in the same situation the week before then? Why didn't he need experience then? Seriously dude this one I don't believe you care enough about and you want to come in late?

I just think it's football and players get better when they play. They also get hurt when they play.

I don't have a dog in the fight, I'd have thought either decision was fine. Thought coming out vs FSU was fine. Think staying in vs Louisville is fine.

I will wait till the end of the season and no change is made before being frustrated with Coyle.

If Coyle keeps SS he owns it. That is all I will say. Right now nothing is on Coyle.
My point is that Coyle may see issues in Shafer's system that he could insist be modified, helping to implement changes perhaps to OC or DC or other positions and still maintain Shafer. There's a wide range of options to impact the program and a variety of circumstances to include in his analysis. I think he'll make a supportable decision and won't act rashly. Mostly, he's actively examining his options and doing due diligence. That should provide some comfort that it high up on his list of priorities.

There are some reasons in which giving shafer just 1 more make or break season actually make some sense though, IMO.

Yeah. He has 1 more year on the contract. I dont think Coyle is really "owning it" if he lets him finish his contract. He is more making sure he makes the right decision in the end.

I think and want Shafer to get 1 more year. I think all college coaches should get 4 years. But that 4th year is make or break with no free passes because of injury, bad bounces or bad calls. Either enough wins or not enough. And I'd have a tough time giving him an extension with a 6-6 regular season regardless of meaningless bowl win or loss.

Yeah. He has 1 more year on the contract. I dont think Coyle is really "owning it" if he lets him finish his contract. He is more making sure he makes the right decision in the end.

I think and want Shafer to get 1 more year. I think all college coaches should get 4 years. But that 4th year is make or break with no free passes because of injury, bad bounces or bad calls. Either enough wins or not enough. And I'd have a tough time giving him an extension with a 6-6 regular season regardless of meaningless bowl win or loss.

2 years I believe

My only point is what you state. I believe it is a 4 year turnaround of process. And actually his time has been cut into by making an OC Switch. As for the reasons above for which I think Full Rebar was responding.

1. Believe it or not shafer is respected in the coaching community
2. Not wanting to be a school that turns coaches out after 3 years
3. Not an ideal to be trying to fill a slot with multiple higher and peer jobs available.
4. Other Athletic department issues.

Just a few reasons. Look I get people want a change. I just don't think people need to come off as a holes making their point, not directed at anyone directly, and that goes for myself and the keep shafer folks.

HeaterCuse22 said:
There are some reasons in which giving shafer just 1 more make or break season actually make some sense though, IMO.

This is the way I'm leaning, but I'm okay with whatever Coyle decides.

If SS is in the coach next year 2017 recruiting is going to suck. No kid is going to commit early to a program that has a coach who is on the hot seat.
Look at Virginia. Their fanbase wanted to fire London last year. Their administration should have made the move last year and look at them now. They aren't going bowling this year and now wasted a year.

Next year will be a tougher schedule with a lameduck coaching staff. I mean why wouldn't Coyle let the next coaching staff have a honeymoon period and give the fanbase optimism. 2009 we went 4-8 but the board mood was a lot more positive than any from 2005-2008.

If SS is in the coach next year 2017 recruiting is going to suck. No kid is going to commit early to a program that has a coach who is on the hot seat.
Look at Virginia. Their fanbase wanted to fire London last year. Their administration should have made the move last year and look at them now. They aren't going bowling this year and now wasted a year.

Next year will be a tougher schedule with a lameduck coaching staff. I mean why wouldn't Coyle let the next coaching staff have a honeymoon period and give the fanbase optimism. 2009 we went 4-8 but the board mood was a lot more positive than any from 2005-2008.

A. Because with 20 openings what if you fire shafer and end up with the coach from east west directional state.
B. 2017 recruiting will suck? I know I have read that you think it already is subpar so whats the difference.
C. What if in 2016 he went 8-4 or 7-5 as the players get a little older, stronger, more at ease with the OC and plan.

Again, I think we have reached a point on the board where you can't be convinced, that's ok.

Why did SS take out against FSU in the same situation the week before then? Why didn't he need experience then? Seriously dude this one I don't believe you care enough about and you want to come in late?
This is just my guess as to what the difference there was: against FSU, Eric hadn't just thrown two picks and fumbled the ball. Lester said the reasoning was to try to get his confidence back up after those three big mistakes. Against FSU, that wasn't really the issue. Just my take on what the difference was between the two situations.

And again - I'm in the camp that believes Dungey should have sat out the fourth quarter when it was clear the game was out of reach. But I'm looking at what I assume is the staff's perspective on the difference between the two games.

As the season drags on and the losses pile up, it seems more and more evident that the current (poor) performance level is not the fault of the staff. You could argue with play selection, personnel use, time management, etc.. But the issues there are minor compared to the talent deficit. SS's a decent recruiter. The talent level has been increasing (slowly). This year was hopeful, but has become a (another) throw-away with a green defense and a frosh QB. The record is ugly and will be uglier when it's all said and done. But we found a new star at QB and the offense is showing signs of life. These are testaments to the staff's ability to spot talent. We just need a lot more of it ... WR, RB, TE and multiple positions on the D/O lines, LB and safety are big issues.

No doubt facilities are playing a role in our talent stock. The teams above us in the ACC have equal or better facilities, along with better recruiting streams. Given this, our conference record should come as no surprise. The IPF put us back on the map, and is already paying dividends. But the Dome reno ... heck even a set of plans ... should do wonders for new talent.

I don't know what additional steps could be taken for recruiting. We're improving in NJ, holding our own mostly in NY, and I like the players we've gotten down South. But gaps at the skill positions .. (we have no thunder at RB, and no speed/separation at WR or TE) are limiting Dunge's options. Our D line has talent in spots, but no depth. O line has been a steady disappointment. There is room for lots of improvement.

I watched the Alabama-LSU game the other night. Obviously, this is a different level of talent. Bama's D line is so good Furnette coudn't even get out of the backfield.

And Bama's RB (Henry) is a jaw-dropper -- fast and 6'4 240. We don't need a new coach; we just need a couple players like that.

Tell that to the two kids - including an ESPN 300 WR - who have already committed in the class of 2017.

Tell that to the two kids - including an ESPN 300 WR - who have already committed in the class of 2017.
I am happy we have 2 now. I don't expect much more with status of staff. If we keep SS recruiting for 2017 will become stagnant until we show it on the field.
Just as Heater said my position is not changing but the opposite side's defense of SS is not changing at all.

If Coyle keeps SS that will be the camel to break my back and I will not renew. I feel like my money is being wasted right now and this makes me sick and angry typing it.

Hopefully by then we will have a coach(s) that throws the ball to the players on the field whose primary job is to run down field and receive the football. On most teams they are called wide receivers.

I am not saying I won't be fan of the team either. I don't want that obvious post which is minutes from coming if I don't say this.
I will root for the team 100% every game but won't give the school a dime till the product dictates it.

There is no guarantee that there will be fewer P5 openings, or as many viable candidates as now.
Switching coaches to make an improvement isn't a bad problem to have as other schools have shown.
This program is not making on-field progress. With better talent on offense, we aren't going forward.

There is no guarantee that there will be fewer P5 openings, or as many viable candidates as now.
Switching coaches to make an improvement isn't a bad problem to have as other schools have shown.
This program is not making on-field progress. With better talent on offense, we aren't going forward.
Better talent .. where, 2 spots? Sure, we have a promising new QB and a couple of nice looking H-backs. Otherwise, we lack size, speed and skill all over the field on Offense, including WR, TE and almost the entire O-Line.

We're "not going forward" because Dunge often has no one to throw to, and the talent we do have at RB can't get out of the backfield.

Alsacs said:
LOL you are going to go back to Nassib. Please answer this why in the previous week against Florida State in a game that the score was 45-14 with 9 minutes left SS put Mahoney in? The freaking WEEK BEFORE he took Dungey out down 31. What changed? I mean defending SS in this one makes literally no sense. Coaches rarely go to the bench? In 2013 in blowout against Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech this VERY coach took out an inexperienced kid in Terrel Hunt and let Drew Allen finish those games. What changed? I mean seriously. C'mon man.

Allen was a starter originally. He got mop up duty in sure in deference to that. Neither QB was good that year and playing both some looking for an answer wasn't bad. Different situation. Dungey is a true freshman.

Allen was a starter originally. He got mop up duty in sure in deference to that. Neither QB was good that year and playing both some looking for an answer wasn't bad. Different situation. Dungey is a true freshman.

i agree with you on why Allen got some PT... but if Hunt wasn't good that year, when was he? He was a huge part in getting us to a bowl game. He played bad in some games, but was the clear cut starter by game 4 or 5.

Alsacs said:

Lester tried to explain it to you but you don't want to hear it. It isn't so much the experience which yes he could have done the prior week too. But it was the fact that ED was playing very poorly. What were the drives just prior? Two INTs and a fumble? They wanted him to go back out and hopefully drive the team down the field and finish a bad game with some positives. Oh the horror. And nobody associated with the team not family had one iota of problem with that. But some here do. Just wow.

Seriously I wish I could put you on ignore. Consider making an exception. It is not fair. I am not going to say anymore so I don't get banned.

Lester tried to explain it to you but you don't want to hear it. It isn't so much the experience which yes he could have done the prior week too. But it was the fact that ED was playing very poorly. What were the drives just prior? Two INTs and a fumble? They wanted him to go back out and hopefully drive the team down the field and finish a bad game with some positives. Oh the horror. And nobody associated with the team not family had one iota of problem with that. But some here do. Just wow.

The just wow for me is the head coach who said he thought we might get one of those comeback type of things.

Have you figured out the best contrarian counter for that one yet?

For those who think there is at least one positive reason for bringing him back, is it because you're waiting to see if we can win 2 of these next 3? If yes, I'll say fair. If whatever your theory is holds if we finish with 3 wins, then I'm at a loss. The program would be too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom