friggin uconn | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

friggin uconn

CaptainJ I do think we will win but I wouldn't bet on it. I think it's an interesting matchup. They don't have much inside defensively but will we do anything in the paint to take advantage? They are a mediocre defensive rebounding team, so I think getting an "A" game from Roberson would be huge. I think it'll be a close game but we should pull it out.

Thanks for the compliment on my objectivity. I do try to tell it like it is, even if sometimes people accuse me of being negative.

Re-read the first four posts in this thread. If you don't sense an undercurrent of dread and paranoia in those, then I don't what to tell you. Having said, that the rest of the thread definitely calms down thereafter.
FTR, I am not in the camp that thinks they are hurtling toward irrelevancy either. At least not as long as they can keep Ollie. I just don't understand how some people are on the verge of crowning them champions after they win one game.

When I saw the OP, I just sensed the OP maybe had some disappointment and regret to our performance over recent times post season versus theirs. Was I wrong?

Just because AC DC and The Doors both sing about a back door man on their greatest hits CDs does that mean we have to read more into it than is really there?! I hope im in the mood to party to AC DC again tomorrow...(after the CUSE game, like some UConn fans are worthy to be doing now!) theyve regrown on me lately. Both Bon and Brian eras. For those about to ROCK...we salute you!!!! The Cuse needs to ROCK tomorrow!

Last edited:
Thats what everyone said when calhoun left. And when they joined the aac.

My point is can we wait till they stink for a few years in a row and become irrelevant like everyone here is predicting before we bury them? Its not like we've been on some great run since joining the acc.

I certainly wasn't burying them. But what I'm saying is the reality of the situation -- and why their fans spend every waking hour waiting for that Big10 invite. Maybe Ollie isn't going anywhere and they can continue to be stable. If he leaves and the right person doesn't come in, being in the AAC will not bode well for them.

two3zone said:
They've had more success than us in the AAC than we've had in the ACC. While that may not be true for long it could be that way for a long time depending how much one values a national championship.

Bwahahah! Indeed.

And for that easier conference schedule, and a few more wins, they get like 18 million less a year.

The "shine" from the name will wear off eventually. The program is clining to Ollie at this point. If he ever left for anNBA job -- they'd be in trouble
Jdubs, I have to disagree. I am originally from Connecticut and the fans in Connecticut are fiercely loyal to both the mens and womens programs. They are the crown jewels of Connecticut sports. They have no pro team and we all know what happened to the Hartford Whalers. Connecticut is the land of multiple fanbases. Towards NY people root for the Yankees, the Mets, the Giants and the Jets and further downeast its those damn Red Sox and the Celtics and the Cheatriots! But the one thing they all can rally around is their Huskies! They simply will not allow that to happen to their now storied program. I remember the days of Dee Rowe when the Huskies really sucked. I watched them go from a Yankee conference nobody to the Juggernaut that was built by Calhoun.

For many it's been fashionable to dis them and hate on them with unrelenting intensity but after the Halcyon days of Georgetown / Syracuse they became our biggest rival and adversary. Throughout all of sports many talented stars of respective sports fiercely battle their rivals and seem to never break character with respect to identifying them as the enemy yet they often in retrospect years later admit to having respect for one another and they ameliorate their competitive rhetoric. It's classy to honor the achievements of your adversaries and it doesn't in any way diminish one's commitment to their own program.

In some ways while we were in pursuit of wins in the same conference Uconn fans were a reflection of ourselves... wanting their team to win and emotionally invested in every bounce of the ball once the seasons began. That is the way I see it. Having grown up in Connecticut I am pretty much at odds with most of the friends I grew up with and many of which went to Storrs. So although I'll never be a Uconn fan I can recognize the fact that they have had a remarkable run of success and rational and objective fans ( if there is such a thing) are not diminished in any sense as Syracuse fans for doing so. The manner in which their program has recruited and developed kids to fit their brand of college basketball has produced results which simply cannot be denied.

Those who predicted that Uconn would drift off into obscurity when they ended up being the odd man out during the conference realignment phenomenon were in a word, wrong. They have established a brand with the program that has proved it can sustain the inertia the program had developed in spite of the realignment. Ollie continues the coaching methodology he was taught under Calhoun and they continue to attract the type of talent to sustain their success. In fact Ollies demeanor and the type of cohesiveness he achieves with his teams is in many ways a softer less harsh vibe within the program than the air that Calhoun would project and his kids seem to really respond well to his coaching style. In the end, 4 Chips speaks for itself and those who would be quick to impugn Calhoun's methods might want to consider that we might not want to be throwing rocks because... well you know the rest.

Last edited:
CaptainJ said:
How much better has the SU football team been doing? Enough to brag? Seriously, we're talking hoops here, people!!

$ = football

Football drives conference resources, and adds more to the conference coffers which lines our athletic dept's pockets and delivers a pretty good advantage over the long term vs UCONN

On field performance doesn't even matter in that regard - built in advantage.

And we might be outscoring the basketball team in the near future ;)

For many it's been fashionable to dis them and hate on them with unrelenting intensity but after the Halcyon days of Georgetown / Syracuse they became our biggest rival and adversary.

Those who predicted that Uconn would drift off into obscurity when they ended up being the odd man out during the conference realignment phenomenon were in a word, wrong. They have established a brand with the program that has proved it can sustain the inertia the program had developed in spite of the realignment. Ollie continues the coaching methodology he was taught under Calhoun and they continue to attract the type of talent to sustain their success. In fact Ollies demeanor and the type of cohesiveness he achieves with his teams is in many ways a softer less harsh vibe within the program than the air that Calhoun would project and his kids seem to really respond well to his coaching style. In the end, 4 Chips speaks for itself and those who would be quick to impugn Calhoun's methods might want to consider that we might not want to be throwing rocks because... well you know the rest.

There is very little in the last paragraph of your post that I agree with. The fact is, signs of the slippage are already tangible. As members of the Big East, they were contending for national championships. As members of the AAC, they are now contending for NCAA tournament berths.

They didn't make it to the tourney last year, and that's after making their conference championship game. Think about that for a second, and then reflect upon what that means for their circumstances. Uconn making the CC game of the BET would make them an NCAA shoo in any year. They wouldn't have made the NCAAs this year, either, if not for a miracle 80 foot shot in an early round of their conference tournament, after finishing in sixth place in their conference. Their situation has changed as a function of their AAC affiliation, no matter what people would like to pretend.

Just because the decline didn't involve them falling off of a cliff doesn't mean that their program isn't in a worse spot than they were 5 years ago. In five more years, they will be in an even worse position than they are now relative to P5 counterparts unless they get rescued by the ACC [won't happen], B1G [won't happen], or Big 12 [within the realm of possibility], and their program will continue to face an uphill battle to fend off decline. The revenue divide is another impediment working against them.

And let's face facts: they are currently playing in a mid-major conference. Look at who they play. Those loathsome 4 championships can never be taken away--but those days are in the rear view mirror for their program, and getting further away with each passing year.

Their improbable win in Ollie's first season was incredible and impressive. Can't take that away from them, and certainly noone can dispute those four titles, but it was accomplished with Calhoun's players, with the team fresh out of Big East affiliation.

This feels like a pedantic pissing match over what "irrelevant" and "mid major" mean to different people. There are certainly a lot of mid majors who crack the bottom half of the top 25, and a few who do even better than that. So in that sense, maybe "irrelevancy" is the wrong label to apply. But for uconn, it seems likely that fighting to stay relevant--i.e., remain in the top 25--will ne the new normal instead of being title contenders anymore.

Last edited:
Bwahahah! Indeed.

And for that easier conference schedule, and a few more wins, they get like 18 million less a year.

Uconn fan: "we have 4 titles!!!"

SU fan response: "our school made 18 million dollars more than yours so you suck!!!!"

Smh. I personally don't care how much money Syracuse is putting into their safe, I'd rather have more titles.

There is very little in the last paragraph of your post that I agree with. The fact is, signs of the slippage are already tangible. As members of the Big East, they were contending for national championships. As members of the AAC, they are now contending for NCAA tournament berths.

They didn't make it to the tourney last year, and that's after making their conference championship game. They wouldn't have made the NCAAs this year, either, if not for a miracle 80 foot shot in an early round of their conference tournament, after finishing in sixth place in their conference. Their situation has changed as a function of their AAC affiliation, no matter what people would like to pretend.

Just because the decline didn't involve them falling off of a cliff doesn't mean that their program isn't in a worse spot than they were 5 years ago. In five more years, they will be in an even worse position than they are now relative to P5 counterparts unless they get rescued by the ACC [won't happen], B1G [won't happen], or Big 12 [within the realm of possibility], and their program will continue to face an uphill battle to fend off decline. The revenue divide is another impediment working against them.

And let's face facts: they are currently playing in a mid-major conference. Look at who they play. Those loathsome 4 championships can never be taken away--but those days are in the rear view mirror for their program, and getting further away with each passing year.

Their improbable win in Ollie's first season was incredible and impressive. Can't take that away from them, and certainly noone can dispute those four titles, but it was accomplished with Calhoun's players, with the team fresh out of Big East affiliation.

This feels like a pedantic pissing match over what "irrelevant" and "mid major" mean to different people. There are certainly a lot of mid majors who crack the bottom half of the top 25, and a few who do even better than that. So in that sense, maybe "irrelevancy" is the wrong label to apply. But for uconn, it seems likely that fighting to stay relevant--i.e., remain in the top 25--will ne the new normal instead of being title contenders anymore.

What say ye to our beloved program these past 2 years? Are we no different?

What say ye to our beloved program these past 2 years? Are we no different?

Sure, it's different from an objective perspective. We faced NCAA sanctions and self-imposed a ban last year.

This year, we made the NCAA tournament quite comfortably based upon our seeding, despite some of the hand wringing on our board. And that's after finishing the season losing 5 of 6, and losing in the first round of the ACC tournament.

Further comparison of the playing field: an ACC team losing in the first round of the ACC tournament can still qualify for the tournament. A team that made the AAC conference championship game last year but lost didn't make the NCAA tournament, and wouldn't have made it again this year without an 80 foot shot that prevented them from losing in the first round of the AAC tournament.

Seems like a pretty clear divide to me.

Sure, it's different from an objective perspective. We faced NCAA sanctions and self-imposed a ban last year.

This year, we made the NCAA tournament quite comfortably based upon our seeding, despite some of the hand wringing on our board. And that's after finishing the season losing 5 of 6, and losing in the first round of the ACC tournament.

If not for a miracle shot to send a game to OT, they wouldn't have come anywhere close to making the NCAA tournament this year. Do you disagree with any of the above?

If we were comfortably in based on our seed how were they not close with theirs?

We were very bubbly last season before the self imposed ban and the sanctions didn't limit us at all.

SU fan response: "our school made 18 million dollars more than yours so you suck!!!!"

Smh. I personally don't care how much money Syracuse is putting into their safe, I'd rather have more titles.

Yup. Those can't be taken away.

But those titles are now in the past, and it is unlikely that they'll be able to sustain that as members of the AAC. And unless their conference situation changes and they get a seat at the P5 table, the divide will continue to widen.

If we were comfortably in based on our seed how were they not close with theirs?

We were very bubbly last season before the self imposed ban and the sanctions didn't limit us at all.

Feel free to compare resumes. Ours was superior by most of the objective measurements / predictors.

If that 80 foot prayer hadn't dropped, and they'd lost that game, I'm not going out on a limb to suggest that they wouldn't have gotten a bid.

They made the AAC conference championship game last year and didn't get in. We lost in the first round of the ACC conference tournament in 2014 and 2016, and made it in both times. The difference in each of our sets of respective circumstances couldn't be highlighted any more clearly than that.

You NAILED it. Real SU fans dont give 2 $h1ts about all of the money like the SU administration and a handful of others(cough, no names mentioned) do. That's the real "Us and Them" divide...not the us vs UConn.

But those titles are now in the past, and it is unlikely that they'll be able to sustain that as members of the AAC. And unless their conference situation changes and they get a seat at the P5 table, the divide will continue to widen.

Is it me or does it seem like two3zone is a troll.

Disagree. He is a diehard SU fan who is an active contributor here.

He and I often disagree, but I for one enjoy the banter [and I'm pretty sure he does, as well]. I definitely respect his opinion, even if / when we disagree--and I get the sense that he would say the same [not trying to put words in your mouth, two3 -- feel free to shoot that down--lol!]

If not for a miracle shot to send a game to OT, they wouldn't have come anywhere close to making the NCAA tournament this year. Do you disagree with any of the above?

RF, 1st of all, I like you and I enjoy your posts so I'm certainly not looking to get into a pissing match here and I would venture to say you are not either. So... just wanted to clear the air on that. But...LOL !:rolleyes: for the sake of argument:

Let's be honest about the " self ban" last year. We were not on a trajectory to make the tournament AT ALL. The fact that we self banned really was a strategic maneuver to curry favor with the NCAA rules committee than anything else.

And while we are being honest... this current year we weren't a lock for making the tournament by any stretch of the imagination. The hand wringing going on around here was for real. It wasn't just an isolated appendage tic from the Pollyanna club. Thankfully we did make the dance but we would have had difficulty these past 2 years even if we didn't have the NCAA seasonal door prize.

There can be no doubt that we are in a better position with respect to conference affiliation than Uconn. But I still do not think they are going to drift into obscurity and non relevance.
This coming year THEY HAVE THE NUMBER 5 RECRUITING CLASS. if that is characteristic of a team in decline... sign me up.

touche... your move. :D

No, thats the other 2 3(allegedly, i dont know). Dave, you are too good for this. He's a good guy who can be objective!

He and I often disagree, but I for one enjoy the banter [and I'm pretty sure he does, as well]. I definitely respect his opinion, even if / when we disagree--and I get the sense that he would say the same [not trying to put words in your mouth, two3 -- feel free to shoot that down--lol!]

I guess. I just wonder when I see endless ad hominem.

No, thats the other 2 3. Dave, you are too good for this. He's a good guy who can be objective!

It just seems I only see him making commentary on other posters. I've never seen him say anything positive about the Orange. It's just anecdotal but it just seems that way.

Maybe those losers should worry about their overrated squad finishing over .500 in their mid-major conference before they start pounding their chests about what they're going to accomplish in the NCAAs.

And oh yeah--if there "is a god" and we end up playing them in the NCAA tournament, that would mean they'd be a #16 seed. Sounds about right if they maximize their limited upside.

It is going to be so funny to just sit back and watch the uconn collapse inevitably unfold over the next few years.

Your football team is already a sh-- show -- hoops won't be far behind.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fanbase.

. . . . . . . .

The last two post were by you before their last NC run, but since they've won a NC and coming in with a top 10 class. I don't know what the future holds for them but it seems way off that they're going away any time soon. Title is a title and we all know that, our fan base should know that more than any other out there, we hold onto our title soooooo tightly and it was an amazing run with a lifetime of memories built from a few magical weeks. It would be ecstasy to feel that FOUR times? I think so.

RF, 1st of all, I like you and I enjoy your posts so I'm certainly not looking to get into a pissing match here and I would venture to say you are not either. So... just wanted to clear the air on that. But...LOL !:rolleyes: for the sake of argument:

Let's be honest about the " self ban" last year. We were not on a trajectory to make the tournament AT ALL. The fact that we self banned really was a strategic maneuver to curry favor with the NCAA rules committee than anything else.

And while we are being honest... we weren't a lock for making the tournament by any stretch of the imagination. The hand wringing going on around here was for real. It wasn't just an isolated appendage tic from the Pollyanna club. Thankfully we did make the dance but we would have had difficulty these past 2 years even if we didn't have the NCAA seasonal door prize.

There can be no doubt that we are in a better position with respect to conference affiliation than Uconn. But I still do not think they are going to drift into obscurity and non relevance.
This coming year THEY HAVE THE NUMBER 5 RECRUITING CLASS. if that is characteristic of a team in decline... sign me up.

touche... your move. :D

Agreed--not looking to be argumentative with you or two3zone, I just disagree with you on what uconn's new normal is.

I'll also disagree that we weren't a lock. People need to recognize that Lunardi isn't any more insider nor accurate than a Mel Kiper--knowledgeable, sure, but an outsider without any true insight into each committee's deliberations and what they emphasize. So just because he predicted that we were out doesn't mean that we actually were.

The committee placed us comfortably in, based upon our seeding. Just to be clear, I'm not happy about being a 10 seed [had we won against FSU or Pitt, I think we would have been in line for more like a 6 seed]. Starting 0-4 in conference, the 4-5 Hopkins debacle, etc. really undermined what could have been a season that far exceeded most board prognostications, given this team's limited upside.

Last year sucked. I don't dispute that we weren't fast tracking. That year and this year have been our two worst teams in a decade. Next year, I think we will be top 10 wire-to-wire.

As for uconn's recruiting class, time will tell. They are losing several key players from this year's squad, so a good year next season is no sure thing. I know one thing: I wouldn't trade places with them.

I appreciate that. While we disagree a little bit you probably have a crap ton of likes from me with your posts. I don't hold our personal disagreements against you and usually agree with you 80% of the time. I also think we both want exactly the same thing year in and year out from the team.

two3zone said:
Uconn fan: "we have 4 titles!!!" SU fan response: "our school made 18 million dollars more than yours so you suck!!!!" Smh. I personally don't care how much money Syracuse is putting into their safe, I'd rather have more titles.

Well that's behind us and can't be changed nor taken away. But I think most people are talking in front of us. We've been crap the past couple years but uconn in the last 2 years has been an nit 1st round loser and a 9 seed in the NCAAs. That's quite the fall from a national championship and it could continue going forward with the conference they are in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom