Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

If the suggested changes do occur they won't impact season-ticket holders in the immediate future. Syracuse plans to do its campus renovation over the course of 20 years.

One thing I have mentioned and I think others had similar thoughts was to expand the pre game festivities around the dome.
Similar to Buffalo Sabres party in the plaza and Tampa Bay Lightning Thunder Alley party area prior to game where they have bands playing, food and beverage options that are affordable and not as high as in the arena, and maybe the cheerleaders/mascot roaming around (sometimes players). I use those 2 examples because it is what I know.
It is not exactly the same as tailgating, but it can be pretty similar if done right and most importantly kept affordable!

First time Season Tickets with my wife. No parking pass yet. Suggestions welcome on where to be and what to do. :)

This is click-bait at its worst, no news of any kind here. Let's not do the Sub the favor of giving them more hits.
Wait...what? You don't like the "don't worry about it, you'll be dead" approach?

UAG close to M street and you can talgate at the Sheraton for as long as it remains a hotel.

Plus if you're young enough, you can park at the bottom of the hill near Phoebe's and save yourself some money. I wasn't wild about the walk up to the Dome, but it was always a fun experience walking back down, even after a loss.

northacuse said:
Plus if you're young enough, you can park at the bottom of the hill near Phoebe's and save yourself some money. I wasn't wild about the walk up to the Dome, but it was always a fun experience walking back down, even after a loss.
that's were I've parked for 30 years. I enjoy the walk, it's free and easy out traffic wise.

368-bedroom student apartment building proposed near Syracuse University

Interesting project and replaces a building I consider an eyesore. Wonder if SU prefers development like this as opposed to building new dorms.

We'll see if SU opposes the variance request tomorrow. One could view this as competition for South Campus apartments (the price point's probably more attractive) rather than competition for the dumps along Euclid.

It's a pretty good proposal, though it seems that the building is oriented backward: most parties would prefer the massing face Genesee rather than the two-story rental houses on the other side, and anyone who's spend time in Central New York (except for this developer and architect, apparently) would orient the courtyards facing south. As proposed, those will be cold, mossy, and unpopular outdoor common areas.

On the whole, though, decent design and nice density for the neighborhood. I lived over there during law school and think it's a great location - 14-minute walk to the Dome in one direction, just over 20 minutes to J. Ryan's in the other, what more could a student ask for?

We'll see if SU opposes the variance request tomorrow. One could view this as competition for South Campus apartments (the price point's probably more attractive) rather than competition for the dumps along Euclid.

It's a pretty good proposal, though it seems that the building is oriented backward: most parties would prefer the massing face Genesee rather than the two-story rental houses on the other side, and anyone who's spend time in Central New York (except for this developer and architect, apparently) would orient the courtyards facing south. As proposed, those will be cold, mossy, and unpopular outdoor common areas.

On the whole, though, decent design and nice density for the neighborhood. I lived over there during law school and think it's a great location - 14-minute walk to the Dome in one direction, just over 20 minutes to J. Ryan's in the other, what more could a student ask for?

Yeah I like the idea of more student housing like this, because hopefully it opens the university neighborhood back up to more owner-occupied housing as opposed to rental properties. Maybe it chases some of the absentee landlords away.

Yeah I like the idea of more student housing like this, because hopefully it opens the university neighborhood back up to more owner-occupied housing as opposed to rental properties. Maybe it chases some of the absentee landlords away.

My broker told me that these new units have already put some pressure on investor/owners in the neighborhood. According to him, the market has cooled east of Westcott; it's harder to find students to rent that far away from campus, so some investors are bailing.

On the other hand, pressure's increased on owner-occupied blocks closer to campus. Ostrom, Livingston, and Sumner are experiencing block-busting efforts from established area landlords who are looking to consolidate their holdings in more attractive locations. (As someone who's been looking for a bigger house this summer, I've found this very unhelpful. It's pretty bad for the neighborhood, too.)

On the whole, new units north of campus have to help the neighborhoods to the east. There's going to be an unpleasant adjustment period, though, especially if SU and the city continue to be uncooperative with neighborhood groups.

My broker told me that these new units have already put some pressure on investor/owners in the neighborhood. According to him, the market has cooled east of Westcott; it's harder to find students to rent that far away from campus, so some investors are bailing.

On the other hand, pressure's increased on owner-occupied blocks closer to campus. Ostrom, Livingston, and Sumner are experiencing block-busting efforts from established area landlords who are looking to consolidate their holdings in more attractive locations. (As someone who's been looking for a bigger house this summer, I've found this very unhelpful. It's pretty bad for the neighborhood, too.)

On the whole, new units north of campus have to help the neighborhoods to the east. There's going to be an unpleasant adjustment period, though, especially if SU and the city continue to be uncooperative with neighborhood groups.

Yeah I've always gotten the sense that the city never wants to put too much pressure on the landlords, as long as the tax bills are paid. Unfortunately, not keeping the landlords in check in terms of the upkeep of properties drives out full-time residents who don't want to live among that.

It looks pretty nice. There's a good deal of greenery (except for a big paved space near Newhouse, but that fits with the general aesthetic of Newhouse).

One thing that stands out is the tiered riprap in front of the HL steps and Pan Am memorial. It's pretty much the focal point of the block, so I'm not sure why they didn't just plant ivy, but it's ugly. On the whole, though, it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom