jersey guys | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

jersey guys

qdawgg said:
There has to be consistency in recruiting if you want to be successful. If you have the worst offense in all of CFB (ok, exaggerating, 2nd worst) you can't spend time/resources recruiting an area and then decide to jump to new areas. Well, I guess technically you can do that but then you end up with the one of the worst offenses in CFB.

This makes no sense. You compile a list of all the guys you like despite region but within the regions you traditionally recruit. You rate them internally despite region. You accept the top guys over the other guys despite region.

There has been no jumping to other areas. The kids we took in front of the NJ kids were NY and GA.

JeremyCuse said:
ngUOTE="jekelish, post: 1418896, member: 82"]We clearly didn't like many WRs this class, for whatever reason. The ones we did like were in NJ, but Darby chose Iowa, Hawkins is probably going to Michigan, and Stewart is picking either Stanford or Michigan I'm assuming. After those guys, there just didn't seem to be anyone the staff particularly liked. C'est la vie.
I can understand missing out on your top targets that happens and a reason why myself and others said not taking any wrs last year was taking a huge gamble that we would/could clean up in this class and obviously at least to this point it's been anything but that. After not taking any wide receivers last year we simply can't just throw up our hands after missing our top targets. We need at least 2 more traditional wrs in this class.[/QUOTE]

We will take another slot guy in addition to the GA kid from this weekend. If we get Moe Neal and Irvin (both of whom are serious) we'll be fine. Even the next guys on the board and we'll be okay.

I can understand missing out on your top targets that happens and a reason why myself and others said not taking any wrs last year was taking a huge gamble that we would/could clean up in this class and obviously at least to this point it's been anything but that. After not taking any wide receivers last year we simply can't just throw up our hands after missing our top targets. We need at least 2 more traditional wrs in this class.

No we don't. How many times do we need to go over that Lester's offense only has 2 true WR spots? Ishmael has 3 years left and is entrenched in one of those spots. So you're suggesting adding 2-3 more traditional WR's for what amounts to one spot in addition to Palmer who we've already landed?

What we need are 3 or 4 DT's and a couple of TE's.

i truly do not like the staff passing on jersey guys---very bad. when we were good we had multiple jersey guys, and when we are bad we have few. we let ru maintain a presence with this fertile territory, frankly i am not confident that the coaches mindset is in the best interest in the long term success of our program---i have said for years, we need nj,li, and nyc to be successfull, --i have little confidence in this staffs talent evaluation. we need this recruiting area, and are blowing it. if you know su history, bread and butter came from these areas.

Better than lying or misleading them and having them disgruntled and transfer.

I must say that the OP is clueless when it comes to this staffs' talent evaluations as well as their recruiting strategy.

If you don't think they are hammering the state of NJ, you are sorely mistaken. Just because we passed on a few kids is not the end of the world.

Pretty sure we just had 1/2 of the kids from Camden, NJ up at a camp.

Hopefully he ends up no better than average at BC.

I've seen this movie before, but it's better when the final scene involves, say, Toledo.

No we don't. How many times do we need to go over that Lester's offense only has 2 true WR spots? Ishmael has 3 years left and is entrenched in one of those spots. So you're suggesting adding 2-3 more traditional WR's for what amounts to one spot in addition to Palmer who we've already landed?

What we need are 3 or 4 DT's and a couple of TE's.

First off we have no idea how many WRs were going to need, do you honestly think an offense with only 2 wrs is going to work against Clemson, FSU, Lville etc? Second Ishmael struggled last year when teams started paying attention to him after his breakout against fsu,he's going to need some help right now the only 2 guys who have e shown they can do that are a senior who has been hurt every year and a jr who has been hurt every year.

Lastly Lester offense may only be here a year if we have a repeat w/l record, I don't see many o coordinators using 2 wrs unless we're suddenly becoming air force or navy.

Lastly and nothing against Palmer but we're talking about a 2 star project WR who is almost guaranteed to redshirt. He'd likely not making any sort of major impact until his redshirt sophomore year at best.

First off we have no idea how many WRs were going to need, do you honestly think an offense with only 2 wrs is going to work against Clemson, FSU, Lville etc? Second Ishmael struggled last year when teams started paying attention to him after his breakout against fsu,he's going to need some help right now the only 2 guys who have e shown they can do that are a senior who has been hurt every year and a jr who has been hurt every year.

Lastly Lester offense may only be here a year if we have a repeat w/l record, I don't see many o coordinators using 2 wrs unless we're suddenly becoming air force or navy.

Lastly and nothing against Palmer but we're talking about a 2 star project WR who is almost guaranteed to redshirt. He'd likely not making any sort of major impact until his redshirt sophomore year at best.
You may be correct in that we don't know what offense Lester is actually going to run, and thus how many WR will feature in his sets. But whatever he decides, is what it is. If folks have an inkling of what he will run, from his past stints or through current comments, then maybe there is an insight into what to expect. It doesn't matter whether he thinks it will "work" against teams X, Y, Z. That is beside the point.

Ishmael has added a lot of muscle in the offseason, presumably to address the concerns about teams focusing on him. I think the scheme and playcalling will help Ishmael more than the presence of any one other skill player on the offense (except perhaps at QB).

If Lester wants to run a skill grouping of 2 WR, 1 HB, 1 TE (pass-catching), and 1 RB, how is that odd? Are modern O-coordinators only allowed to run 3+ "true" WR sets?

JeremyCuse said:
First off we have no idea how many WRs were going to need, do you honestly think an offense with only 2 wrs is going to work against Clemson, FSU, Lville etc? Second Ishmael struggled last year when teams started paying attention to him after his breakout against fsu,he's going to need some help right now the only 2 guys who have e shown they can do that are a senior who has been hurt every year and a jr who has been hurt every year. Lastly Lester offense may only be here a year if we have a repeat w/l record, I don't see many o coordinators using 2 wrs unless we're suddenly becoming air force or navy. Lastly and nothing against Palmer but we're talking about a 2 star project WR who is almost guaranteed to redshirt. He'd likely not making any sort of major impact until his redshirt sophomore year at best.

HB are slot receivers. We have a bunch. That's your #3 WR. We are signing two at least. Plus another WR/TE hybrid.

You may be correct in that we don't know what offense Lester is actually going to run, and thus how many WR will feature in his sets. But whatever he decides, is what it is. If folks have an inkling of what he will run, from his past stints or through current comments, then maybe there is an insight into what to expect. It doesn't matter whether he thinks it will "work" against teams X, Y, Z. That is beside the point.

Ishmael has added a lot of muscle in the offseason, presumably to address the concerns about teams focusing on him. I think the scheme and playcalling will help Ishmael more than the presence of any one other skill player on the offense (except perhaps at QB).

If Lester wants to run a skill grouping of 2 WR, 1 HB, 1 TE (pass-catching), and 1 RB, how is that odd? Are modern O-coordinators only allowed to run 3+ "true" WR sets?

I have no issue with him running that skill set but we have to be realistic in that syracuse is going to be playing against some top flight teams and is going to need the ability to play from behind and throw the ball. 3 and 4 wr sets are going to be necessary not to mention injuries and attrition have plagued this team since the Pasqualoni era so building some quality depth for a change would be a good idea.

Also it's much easier to recruit wrs then it is elte level TE's which u need in Lesters offense. Thus is evidenced by the fact we have recruited one TE in two years and that player was a Juco who unfortunately buried on the depth chart after spring practice.

HB are slot receivers. We have a bunch. That's your #3 WR. We are signing two at least. Plus another WR/TE hybrid.

Yes I understand that, but we already have Erv,the kid from Georgia plus Estime. I think another high end WR to pair with Steve would be a high priority.

JeremyCuse said:
Yes I understand that, but we already have Erv,the kid from Georgia plus Estime. I think another high end WR to pair with Steve would be a high priority.

We seem to be H-back happy. Seems like every other recruit has been told he's being recruited as an H-back.

We seem to be H-back happy. Seems like every other recruit has been told he's being recruited as an H-back.

It does feel that way for sure, seems really odd especially with a glut of slot type wrs already in the roster. As you noted in the other thread offenses need high end wrs who can run past people and make plays throughout the field. Outside of maybe Ish and a healthy Broyld I don't see that wr on the roster and certainly not in this past class or the current one. Staff has a plan no doubt but I worry about this offense against the upper end of the ACC.

JeremyCuse said:

Unless they are high on Custis, Enoicy, Avant, etc.

My question is why do people try to judge a recruiting class 9 months or so before signing day? Does anyone know what the coaching staff considers to be its primary needs of the class? I would wait 8 months before deciding how they are doing in New Jersey

Unless they are high on Custis, Enoicy, Avant, etc.

YOU beat me to these names

You forgot Alvin who I think has two full seasons left also. There is some talent in this group and with the couple in the fold now it might not be a really hot spot this year,but I think there is a silent or two waiting for a special day to show up.

retro44 said:
YOU beat me to these names You forgot Alvin who I think has two full seasons left also. There is some talent in this group and with the couple in the fold now it might not be a really hot spot this year,but I think there is a silent or two waiting for a special day to show up.

I'm still thinking Ben Lewis is sneaky good. He is a possession kind of guy - that I think they moved to HB. But I'd bet he's used as a zone buster type out of the slot.

Regarding the WR recruiting, I would have liked seeing us be able to land someone like Donald Stewart (by far my favorite of this year's WR recruits we were involved with but, sadly, a Stanford or Michigan commit at the end of the day) but here's the breakdown of the WR position (including the HB position) heading into 2016:

SR Brisly Estime
SR Alvin Cornelius
SR Ben Lewis
JR Steve Ishmael
JR Ervin Philips
JR Jamal Custis
JR Sean Avant
SO Adly Enoicy
FR Sadiq Palmer
FR Darius Stubbs

Then hopefully FR Moe Neal and potentially FR Tre Bryant

That's 11 or 12 dudes. How many WRs do you really need out of 85 scholarship spots? Especially factoring in that, for example, a guy like Womack might wind up at WR?

Last edited:
This is off line with what others have been saying here, but I was thinking about recruiting jersey kids and bringing in kids like Manning and Simon who don't fit per say but may continue a pipeline into a state and school we want to be in. I have decided, given the state of the program now, and the need to win, we cannot afford to do that at the expense of finding players that "fit better." If you're Shafer, you may not be around in 2 years, so you have to get kids in place that help immediately. Recruit for your system, regardless of location. Just my opinion.

This is off line with what others have been saying here, but I was thinking about recruiting jersey kids and bringing in kids like Manning and Simon who don't fit per say but may continue a pipeline into a state and school we want to be in. I have decided, given the state of the program now, and the need to win, we cannot afford to do that at the expense of finding players that "fit better." If you're Shafer, you may not be around in 2 years, so you have to get kids in place that help immediately. Recruit for your system, regardless of location. Just my opinion.

I think if we had more spots, that's exactly what they would do. I think they are being selective because they want only the best fits for the limited slots.

Regarding the WR recruiting, I would have liked seeing us be able to land someone like Donald Stewart (by far my favorite of this year's WR recruits we were involved with but, sadly, a Stanford or Michigan commit at the end of the day) but here's the breakdown of the WR position (including the HB position) heading into 2016:

SR Brisly Estime
SR Alvin Cornelius
SR Ben Lewis
JR Steve Ishmael
JR Ervin Philips
JR Jamal Custis
JR Sean Avant
SO Adly Enoicy
FR Sadiq Palmer
FR Darius Stubbs

Then hopefully FR Moe Neal and potentially FR Tre Bryant

That's 11 or 12 dudes. How many WRs do you really need out of 85 scholarship spots? Especially factoring in that, for example, a guy like Womack might wind up at WR?

Looking at the list it shows we are a little top heavy. I say we hold off and try to bring in at least 1 more stud wr this cycle. I think if they find the right guy they move on him, otherwise Adly's Senior year we will be extremely young at the position and the 3 upperclassmen still unproven.

Looking at the list it shows we are a little top heavy. I say we hold off and try to bring in at least 1 more stud wr this cycle. I think if they find the right guy they move on him, otherwise Adly's Senior year we will be extremely young at the position and the 3 upperclassmen still unproven.
Agree, and I'm not terribly worried. Could be in the next couple recruiting cycles we target, and get, some studs who can play early.

Being successful doesn't depend solely on NJ players. Championship level teams will have a select few but majority will be southern football centric states like Florida or Texas. Looking at our current roster we are doing well in Florida and with incoming commits that doesn't appear to be slowing down. I like the NJ players/commits we have but we are correct to be selective vs taking B and C level players for the sake of future inroads to potential future recruits. A lot of the recruits we got in the G Rob error were lower level players from high level HS programs... and none of their high level recruits ever followed them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom