Lamson out indefinitely with injury | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lamson out indefinitely with injury

Not sure HIPAA applies here - it only covers health insurance companies, clearing houses, and medical providers, plus their business associates. No expert, but I don't think the training room of the SUAD would be considered a medical provider.

Also, not sure to what degree of privacy Lamson can expect. I can easily go on the website and obtain his height, weight, major, names of his parents, and his high school.
It would seem releasing info about something like a knee injury seems pretty harmless.

But according to this link, HIPPA does apply:

Finally, regarding the sharing of information with the media, this issue is clear-cut. Under HIPAA, personal health information can be provided to sports information staff or the media only with authorization from the athlete (Magee et al., 2003).

Solutions

Any sport entity that is covered under HIPAA needs to review its existing practices, policies, and procedures. Relationships with other businesses also will need to be reviewed as they fall under HIPAA guidelines. Utilizing experienced legal counsel to determine status under HIPAA and also to recommend authorization forms, privacy notices, and business-associate contracts is recommended (Kibbe, 2005).

Sorry this happened to Justin just as he was emerging as a possible future star. Best wishes to him for a full and complete recovery.​

Does it though? I remain skeptical.

And call me cynical, but I feel SU's no comment is more about Dino's desire for TEAM privacy (that is, keeping injuries secret), not individual privacy.
The two are not mutually exclusive. In many instances, it can be both. In this instance, I bet you're right about Dino and his deasired secrecy and due to that, SU did not approach Lamson and Co. about making sure he is comportable with sharing. Then, when the P-S contacted him and his family, they did not want to rock the apple cart and declined to comment.

I've worked with high-level athletes and 95% chance this was the progression, but if -- hypothetically -- SU/Dino had a deeper foundation of transparency, I severely doubt Lamson and Co. would have had any issue with this news being shared. It is not like an ACL injury is some stigma or anything remotely similar.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Lamson, next man up though. I am in the camp that Jacobian could handle our first team offense just fine if needed. The good news here is that our starting QB was not injured.

ok.. here is HIPAA

A covered entity is permitted, but not required, to use and disclose protected health information, without an individual’s authorization, for the following purposes or situations: (1) To the Individual (unless required for access or accounting of disclosures); (2) Treatment, Payment, and Health Care Operations; (3) Opportunity to Agree or Object; (4) Incident to an otherwise permitted use and disclosure; (5) Public Interest and Benefit Activities

SO.. the school could actually disclose stuff if they want..

ok.. here is HIPAA

A covered entity is permitted, but not required, to use and disclose protected health information, without an individual’s authorization, for the following purposes or situations: (1) To the Individual (unless required for access or accounting of disclosures); (2) Treatment, Payment, and Health Care Operations; (3) Opportunity to Agree or Object; (4) Incident to an otherwise permitted use and disclosure; (5) Public Interest and Benefit Activities

Trust me, they can’t.

Trust me, they can’t.
my people say they can. I also get that I would rather they didnt. We dont really need to know full details. But also when you become a public figure many of the privacy rules protections go away.

ok.. here is HIPAA

Public interest? LOL.

Public interest does not equal public curiosity.

Public interest? LOL.

Public interest does not equal public curiosity.
its already out there now that players are taking money to rep businesses and gambling is being done there is a vested public interest in knowing what injuries are.. and if you are gonna pay a player to represent you with NIL then an expectation to know what injuries would cause his value to go down for you.

much like pro teams have to have a real injury list and expose the extent "mostly" on what the inury and the time of the recovery.. we dont really need to know that but gambling sure does.

Losing the year is going to make it easier for Sellers to jump him.
Debatable. He's going to miss out on summer practice reps but was still not going to play meaningful snaps unless Schrader went down. The mental reps in the new system are still going to be valuable.

If Sellers is able to jump him with 2 years in the program then we'll be looking at something fairly special.

The "indefinitely" aspect is curious. Even an ACL tear would have a prognosis for a recovery date.
I was wondering the same thing. Was the indefinitely comment from the university or another source? Unless it was career ending it’s not indefinitely. Other than speculation does anyone have specifics of the injury?
Hope he gets better soon.
Could use this rehab time to spend a lot of time in the film room and work on mental aspects of the game. Also if it’s a leg injury he may be able to be back throwing in a shorter period of time. I know he has to plant to throw but as long as he is not scrambling or running could work on mechanics after a shorter rehab.

its already out there now that players are taking money to rep businesses and gambling is being done there is a vested public interest in knowing what injuries are.. and if you are gonna pay a player to represent you with NIL then an expectation to know what injuries would cause his value to go down for you.

much like pro teams have to have a real injury list and expose the extent "mostly" on what the inury and the time of the recovery.. we dont really need to know that but gambling sure does.
That’s all too bad for those parties and as far as NIL goes that would be directly between Lamson and the NIL payer.

My people are SU.
I know.. But had that same conversation with some of them up there as well.. but also a few other D1 schools and D3 people I know. I think some are erroring on the side of caution. And i think they should be pro kid more than pro fan in this.

all this angst about information release rules and details and when it cam out

who cares, the kid had an injury and surgery and won’t be back anytime soon. What more do we need to know?

and if he HAD to play this year, the season would be screwed anyways

all this angst about information release rules and details and when it cam out

who cares, the kid had an injury and surgery and won’t be back anytime soon. What more do we need to know?

and if he HAD to play this year, the season would be screwed anyways
The article says he's getting physical therapy before coming back for summer classes. Maybe it was a partial tear and there is no surgery.

Heard a rumor a couple of weeks ago that he sustained an injury at the IPF and is not the first athlete injured due to poor turf. Not sure if this rumor is true but just sharing an email that I received.
Curious to know if Josh Hough was no contact on the IPF turf as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom