Lamson out indefinitely with injury | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Lamson out indefinitely with injury

Curious to know if Josh Hough was no contact on the IPF turf as well.

I would think that would be releasable. It's not really personal health information. it's more of a public issue, even though it's a private school - that takes public contributions toward its athletic program. If the IDPF needs a better surface, tell us.

I know.. But had that same conversation with some of them up there as well.. but also a few other D1 schools and D3 people I know. I think some are erroring on the side of caution. And i think they should be pro kid more than pro fan in this.

I am not a health expert nor a lawyer that wants to read through minutia. I also don’t know if FERPA is an opt in/opt out optional thing. I just know SU follows that policy. I also know my son went there and had to give permission for the school to talk to us about a medical situation (nothing serious). I also know parents who tried to get info about their son who had COVID over a year ago but were unsuccessful. We heard about some athletes who were in COVID protocol but not others. We hear about some injuries but not others.

But regardless, it’s a real shame for Lamson.

my people say they can. I also get that I would rather they didnt. We dont really need to know full details. But also when you become a public figure many of the privacy rules protections go away.
They cant

Horrible for him. Kid is going to start for SU or another team.

Is it true he had a full skeletal replacement?

Heard a rumor...
Adamantium.
90s wolverine GIF

Garrett Throw it more and don’t take on tacklers head on anymore. Our full QB room may not be so full. ( Having no idea when JL will be ready)

I am not a health expert nor a lawyer that wants to read through minutia. I also don’t know if FERPA is an opt in/opt out optional thing. I just know SU follows that policy. I also know my son went there and had to give permission for the school to talk to us about a medical situation (nothing serious). I also know parents who tried to get info about their son who had COVID over a year ago but were unsuccessful. We heard about some athletes who were in COVID protocol but not others. We hear about some injuries but not others.

But regardless, it’s a real shame for Lamson.
ferpa can be used but thats also a grey area and is a different set of rules.

it depends on who is giving out the info.. if your job deals with the insurance side of the house then no you cant give up the info to the public. so medical staff and the like they cant talk with great detail without permission..

coaches on the other hand have different rules. some can be under the Hipaa rules depending on the issues and their training.

schools also do and should be on the side of caution.. much like i would expect them to be less open about things like mental issues or concussiuon stuff than sprained ankles.

its also easier to say we cant then to say we wont. cuts down on much of the noise.

Yikes not good hope he has a full recovery.

This should preserve a year of eligibility.

I like Shraeder, Villari, and Morgan as a group but I don't think its a foregone conclusion who will be the starter at the end of next season from the 3 of them.

I like Shraeder, Villari, and Morgan as a group but I don't think its a foregone conclusion who will be the starter at the end of next season from the 3 of them.
Shrader has 2 years correct?

Year for who? Lamson redshirted last year.

End of next season? Why is that a concern?

Year for who? Lamson redshirted last year.

End of next season? Why is that a concern?
He'd get a medical one for this year as well those waivers never get declined.

Shraeder will start the season under center but I kind of think the job will end up with Villari.

Ah, so those rumors swirling about him having an owie ended up being true.

Fantastic. :confused:

Cuse football:

Spongebob Squarepants Ngapa GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run
It is quite unfortunate.

Orangefizz had the scoop on this a couple of weeks ago on a podcast.

Props to them for actually breaking the story.

Nate did a nice follow-up getting confirmation and quotes.

It's getting exhausting seeing HIPAA referenced here as the reason Syracuse is so cloak and dagger with their injury reports (as opposed to many other football schools that are much more transparent).

Syracuse has policies that may be of their own volition, or may be based in state law that I am not aware of, or MAY just be some exceedingly overly cautious interpretation of HIPAA. But HIPAA as it is written does NOT apply to a University or its representatives.

HIPAA only applies to covered entities and their business associates. These 4 categories are most affected by HIPAA.

1. Covered entities:
Health care providers
Health plans
Health care clearinghouses

2. Business associates
Other entities directly affiliated with health care such as
  • legal
  • actuarial
  • accounting
  • consulting
  • data aggregation
  • management
  • administrative accreditation
  • processing or administering claims
  • data analysis
  • data transmission
  • utilization review
  • quality assurance
  • certain patient safety activities
  • billing
  • benefit management
  • practice management
  • repricing.
3. Subcontractors
A subcontractor that creates, maintains, or transmits protected health information (PHI) on behalf of a business associate

4. Hybrid entities
A hybrid entity performs both HIPAA-covered and non-covered functions as part of its business.

Who isn't required to comply with HIPAA?

Some examples
  • life and long-term insurance companies
  • workers' compensation insurers, administrative agencies, or employers (unless they are otherwise considered covered entities)
  • agencies that deliver Social Security and welfare benefits
  • automobile insurance plans that include health benefits
  • search engines and websites that provide health or medical information and are not operated by a covered entity
  • marketers
  • gyms and fitness clubs
  • direct to consumer (DTC) genetic testing companies
  • many mobile applications (apps) used for health and fitness purposes
  • those who conduct screenings at pharmacies, shopping centers, health fairs, or other public places for blood pressure, cholesterol, spinal alignment, and other conditions
  • certain alternative medicine practitioners
  • most schools and school districts
  • researchers who obtain health data directly from health care providers
  • most law enforcement agencies
  • many state agencies, like child protective services
  • courts, where health information is material to a case

Ultimately, the only way HIPAA is a factor at all here is if Lamson's doctors refused to disclose his actual injury to the school or to the coaches. Once it leaves the doctor's office, or the training room if applicable, HIPAA is off the table. Another way to put this, as far as the federal law is concerned, if Dino Babers can know what is wrong with a player, the fans can as well.

He'd get a medical one for this year as well those waivers never get declined.

Shraeder will start the season under center but I kind of think the job will end up with Villari.
He only gets a medical for this year if they are able to show that he redshirted for a medical reason last year.

It's getting exhausting seeing HIPAA referenced here as the reason Syracuse is so cloak and dagger with their injury reports (as opposed to many other football schools that are much more transparent).

Syracuse has policies that may be of their own volition, or may be based in state law that I am not aware of, or MAY just be some exceedingly overly cautious interpretation of HIPAA. But HIPAA as it is written does NOT apply to a University or its representatives.

HIPAA only applies to covered entities and their business associates. These 4 categories are most affected by HIPAA.

1. Covered entities:
Health care providers
Health plans
Health care clearinghouses

2. Business associates
Other entities directly affiliated with health care such as
  • legal
  • actuarial
  • accounting
  • consulting
  • data aggregation
  • management
  • administrative accreditation
  • processing or administering claims
  • data analysis
  • data transmission
  • utilization review
  • quality assurance
  • certain patient safety activities
  • billing
  • benefit management
  • practice management
  • repricing.
3. Subcontractors
A subcontractor that creates, maintains, or transmits protected health information (PHI) on behalf of a business associate

4. Hybrid entities
A hybrid entity performs both HIPAA-covered and non-covered functions as part of its business.

Who isn't required to comply with HIPAA?

Some examples
  • life and long-term insurance companies
  • workers' compensation insurers, administrative agencies, or employers (unless they are otherwise considered covered entities)
  • agencies that deliver Social Security and welfare benefits
  • automobile insurance plans that include health benefits
  • search engines and websites that provide health or medical information and are not operated by a covered entity
  • marketers
  • gyms and fitness clubs
  • direct to consumer (DTC) genetic testing companies
  • many mobile applications (apps) used for health and fitness purposes
  • those who conduct screenings at pharmacies, shopping centers, health fairs, or other public places for blood pressure, cholesterol, spinal alignment, and other conditions
  • certain alternative medicine practitioners
  • most schools and school districts
  • researchers who obtain health data directly from health care providers
  • most law enforcement agencies
  • many state agencies, like child protective services
  • courts, where health information is material to a case

Ultimately, the only way HIPAA is a factor at all here is if Lamson's doctors refused to disclose his actual injury to the school or to the coaches. Once it leaves the doctor's office, or the training room if applicable, HIPAA is off the table. Another way to put this, as far as the federal law is concerned, if Dino Babers can know what is wrong with a player, the fans can as well.

It’s FERPA, not HIPAA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom