NCAA Elite Eight Games for Sun March 31 | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Elite Eight Games for Sun March 31

So here’s the real upside of having college kids able to earn money while playing. Edey and Clingan are both still in college.

I’m looking forward to watching Burns vs Edey, but Clingan - Edey feels like a Ewing - Sampson kind of matchup to us older fans.

Dominant big man dominating in college…not going straight to the nba. Gotta fix the portal thing, but I think on the whole, paying kids to keep them in college might be the best thing for the sport.

Here’s an interesting upside of UConn and Villanova for that matter, winning NCs. How does the P4 break away and hold a basketball tournament w/o those two schools?
Part of that is the NBA has little interest in low post big men like they did back in the day.

At our ACCT game against NC State, there was this hillbilly type guy with a long beard a couple rows ahead of us who was losing his mind cheering. In the moment I found him insufferable but I would give anything to see him right now.
Now that sounds like NC State fans. I’m serious. I lived in Raleigh which is where campus is and worked an hour east in a much more rural-like area and most of the people I came across in the plant I worked at were state fans.

Last year DJ Burns was playing for Winthrop and Dalton Knecht was playing for Northern Colorado. there is hope.
DJ Burns played for NCState the last two seasons. He was at Winthrop the three years before that (and actually had a redshirt freshman season at Tennessee and then bolted for Winthrop). But I agree that we should definitely look to the mid majors for key transfers.

Part of that is the NBA has little interest in low post big men like they did back in the day.
They have moved away from the old traditional centers which Edey certainly seems more like a throwback to me while Clingan might be a little more of a combination of old and new. It will be interesting to see how they would be used in today’s NBA. I wonder how Clingan whose minutes are limited I assume still effected by his foot injury and if he’ll fully recuperate to play much in the NBA. Foot injuries are tough especially for big men.

Not every contested shot that came up short was a block.

He did force a TON of altered shots too, for sure.

(I tallied what I thought was 7 blocks tho, but will stipulate that 1-2 near the rim he may or may not have gotten a piece of)

An impressive & dominating performance by Clingan regardless.
And in only 22 minutes!!

Will be interesting to see what happens if he and Edey are able to face each other.

I thought Clingan was more impressive than Edey who was admittedly great. Clingan had the most dominant performance I've seen in years.

The refs will determine the outcome but Illinois coach made a good point about Clingan during the game. Not only is he 7'2 and well coached but he is very fast twitch.

Edey via conditioning has improved his athleticism, but Clingan looks a ton more athletic. Hope we get to see it but if I was buying stock I'd be loading up on Clingan.

I thought Clingan was more impressive than Edey who was admittedly great. Clingan had the most dominant performance I've seen in years.

The refs will determine the outcome but Illinois coach made a good point about Clingan during the game. Not only is he 7'2 and well coached but he is very fast twitch.

Edey via conditioning has improved his athleticism, but Clingan looks a ton more athletic. Hope we get to see it but if I was buying stock I'd be loading up on Clingan.
It will come down to if Clingan can defend him 1 on 1 and not get in foul trouble. If he does or can't Purdue's chance will be to make a boatload of 3's with their elite shooters(I know they weren't elite yesterday, but they have been all year).

It will come down to if Clingan can defend him 1 on 1 and not get in foul trouble. If he does or can't Purdue's chance will be to make a boatload of 3's with their elite shooters(I know they weren't elite yesterday, but they have been all year).
Same can be said about Edey guarding Clingan. I know it's taboo around here to say but I think Hurley comes up with a better plan than Painter on a quick turnaround.

Same can be said about Edey guarding Clingan. I know it's taboo around here to say but I think Hurley comes up with a better plan than Painter on a quick turnaround.
Edey has had 3 games all year with 4 fouls. I think Clingan can give him problems, but Edey is pretty intelligent at avoiding PJ Hall type fouls.

I would be shocked if we don't see a UConn-Purdue final - no offense to Alabama or NC State. I would actually be intrigued to watch that final, something I haven't been able to say every year recently.
That's the only reason I think it may not happen. That, and Uconn is that lucky.

You need talent and the right personnel, no question. But using analytics and having offensive innovation and creativity matters, and it can mean the difference between winning in March and losing in March. Look at UConn. Look at Alabama. Look at Purdue. I really hope Red embraces it across the program, from recruiting to conditioning to scheming and shot selection.

Edey has had 3 games all year with 4 fouls. I think Clingan can give him problems, but Edey is pretty intelligent at avoiding PJ Hall type fouls.
They have more or less the same team as last year, plus Lance Jones, but their freshmen really stepped it up as sophomores.

You need talent and the right personnel, no question. But using analytics and having offensive innovation and creativity matters, and it can mean the difference between winning in March and losing in March. Look at UConn. Look at Alabama. Look at Purdue. I really hope Red embraces it across the program, from recruiting to conditioning to scheming and shot selection.

"We're trying to take the most efficient shots we can"

He then goes on to talk about PPP, eFG, non-rim twos, finishing at the rim, expected points.

Maybe Bama loses to UConn (still play with humans, talent is talent, coaching still matters), but to not have this type of knowledge of how to use analytics and how to apply it isn't acceptable in this day and age, assuming a program can afford it.

While I don't like Bama (even tho I'll root for them over UConn), that presser was fantastic.

"We're trying to take the most efficient shots we can"

He then goes on to talk about PPP, eFG, non-rim twos, finishing at the rim, expected points.

Maybe Bama loses to UConn (still play with humans, talent is talent, coaching still matters), but to not have this type of knowledge of how to use analytics and how to apply it isn't acceptable in this day and age, assuming a program can afford it.

While I don't like Bama (even tho I'll root for them over UConn), that presser was fantastic.
Imagine us shooting only 2 non-rim 2's.
I honestly don't think we've ever done that in any game ever.

Was answered above by here's a fun visual rep. Basically that elbow 2 and the baseline 2 are low percentage as compared to in the paint and aren't worth 3 pts
Thx all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom