No Huddle Tour | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No Huddle Tour

I'll try to summon my inner sutomcat here, but I don't think that's possible. Pretty sure he's at least 20 years older than me, but his memory for these recaps is 20x (at least) better than mine. Also, didn't see any ginger ale there. Anyway, not a ton of noteworthy tidbits, but here's a brief summary:

- Lots of SU staff in attendance, aside from Babers and Floyd. Other notables included Deputy AD John Cunningham, Chief of Staff Herm Frazier, Chief Communications Officer Sue Edson (who I met and sat with - what a wonderful woman she is), Head Equipment Manager Kyle Fetterly, Assistant AD for Major Gifts and former SU safety Jason Poles and Voice of the Orange Matt Park. There were also ticket reps, marketing staff and communications folks working the room. Seemed as though all bases were covered.
- Kyle Fetterly acted as the master of ceremonies, introducing Floyd and Dino, as well as acknowledging a number of different former SU football players in attendance, including Dick "The Destroyer" Beyer, former Right Tackle for the Orange in the early 50's, and a retired professional wrestler.
- Kyle did a Q&A with Dino, opening up the floor for questions. Most of it was vanilla stuff regarding his offensive and defensive philosophy, his recruiting approach, etc.
- As highlighted by several tweets from Matthew Fairburn, there were a couple of questions that you could tell got under the skin of Dino a little bit. The first one wasn't really a question, it was more of a promotion by an alum regarding a bus trip from Buffalo to MetLife for the ND game. Dino followed that up by making a sarcastic remark to the effect of "if our Athletic Director was here, he could talk about this, but since he's not, I'm going to!" He then went on to say that after this game at MetLife, the next time we play them, it's going to be "at the damn Dome!" which drew an applause from the crowd.
- The second question that got an emotional response from Dino was in regards to bringing back the number 44. Sorry to say for those who support that, but don't expect it to happen under Dino. He mentioned Floyd and Jim Brown and Ernie Davis, and then asked how anyone is supposed to follow that kind of greatness. He said that if a recruit decided not to come to Syracuse because he couldn't wear number 44 then he can "piss off" or something to that effect. He asked Floyd for his opinion - Floyd stood up, grabbed a mic, and yelled "DITTO!"
- Dino stuck around afterward to take pictures and chat with fans. He was very engaging and took the time to oblige all of the requests, not seeming rushed at all. I was able to shake his hand and welcomed him to the family. Mentioned that my group of season ticket holders more than doubled for this coming season, and that we're all looking forward to what's to come. He thanked me for my support and said he's excited to get this program moving in the right direction.
- With that, the bus began to load up and they headed off to Rochester for this evening's reception.

- BONUS TIDBIT, for you ice cream lovers - overheard a rep from Perry's Ice Cream talking to Dino regarding an ice cream flavor they are developing with SU. Something about Syracuse being known as the Salt City, so they are making an ice cream with salted caramel swirls and some other ingredients I didn't catch. Look for it this summer!

upload_2016-5-17_14-32-34.png

Just an observation, Matt Park is there and the equipment manager is the MC.

I can see Kyle being very good at that, just seems weird.

Just an observation, Matt Park is there and the equipment manager is the MC.

I can see Kyle being very good at that, just seems weird.

I forgot to mention that Matt did kick the event off before lunch, welcoming everyone and thanking them for coming, etc. Kyle handled the Q&A portion with Dino.

shandeezy7 said:
I'll try to summon my inner sutomcat here, but I don't think that's possible. Pretty sure he's at least 20 years older than me, but his memory for these recaps is 20x (at least) better than mine. Also, didn't see any ginger ale there. Anyway, not a ton of noteworthy tidbits, but here's a brief summary: - Lots of SU staff in attendance, aside from Babers and Floyd. Other notables included Deputy AD John Cunningham, Chief of Staff Herm Frazier, Chief Communications Officer Sue Edson (who I met and sat with - what a wonderful woman she is), Head Equipment Manager Kyle Fetterly, Assistant AD for Major Gifts and former SU safety Jason Poles and Voice of the Orange Matt Park. There were also ticket reps, marketing staff and communications folks working the room. Seemed as though all bases were covered. - Kyle Fetterly acted as the master of ceremonies, introducing Floyd and Dino, as well as acknowledging a number of different former SU football players in attendance, including Dick "The Destroyer" Beyer, former Right Tackle for the Orange in the early 50's, and a retired professional wrestler. - Kyle did a Q&A with Dino, opening up the floor for questions. Most of it was vanilla stuff regarding his offensive and defensive philosophy, his recruiting approach, etc. - As highlighted by several tweets from Matthew Fairburn, there were a couple of questions that you could tell got under the skin of Dino a little bit. The first one wasn't really a question, it was more of a promotion by an alum regarding a bus trip from Buffalo to MetLife for the ND game. Dino followed that up by making a sarcastic remark to the effect of "if our Athletic Director was here, he could talk about this, but since he's not, I'm going to!" He then went on to say that after this game at MetLife, the next time we play them, it's going to be "at the damn Dome!" which drew an applause from the crowd. - The second question that got an emotional response from Dino was in regards to bringing back the number 44. Sorry to say for those who support that, but don't expect it to happen under Dino. He mentioned Floyd and Jim Brown and Ernie Davis, and then asked how anyone is supposed to follow that kind of greatness. He said that if a recruit decided not to come to Syracuse because he couldn't wear number 44 then he can "piss off" or something to that effect. He asked Floyd for his opinion - Floyd stood up, grabbed a mic, and yelled "DITTO!" - Dino stuck around afterward to take pictures and chat with fans. He was very engaging and took the time to oblige all of the requests, not seeming rushed at all. I was able to shake his hand and welcomed him to the family. Mentioned that my group of season ticket holders more than doubled for this coming season, and that we're all looking forward to what's to come. He thanked me for my support and said he's excited to get this program moving in the right direction. - With that, the bus began to load up and they headed off to Rochester for this evening's reception. - BONUS TIDBIT, for you ice cream lovers - overheard a rep from Perry's Ice Cream talking to Dino regarding an ice cream flavor they are developing with SU. Something about Syracuse being known as the Salt City, so they are making an ice cream with salted caramel swirls and some other ingredients I didn't catch. Look for it this summer!
Byrne dairy already makes SALT CITY CARAMEL, and it is to die for!!

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 25m25 minutes ago Pittsford, NY
Jim Boeheim on Dome: "The permanent roof just eliminates the possibility that the thing's going to fall down." It almost "has to" be done.

More Boeheim on Dome: "Hopefully they can do it in a way that we wouldn't lose games in there. I think that's important and can be done."

Jim Boeheim on losing AD Mark Coyle: "I don't think it's a setback. ... I don't think he really had a chance to make much of an impact."

Boeheim said he enjoyed working with Coyle. "I was impressed with everything he did." But athletic dept was in great position already.

Boeheim said losing a head coach at this juncture would be more troublesome than AD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom