No Huddle Tour | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

No Huddle Tour

Gotta ask why they didn't call it the "no huddle -fast break" tour.
As long as it's "No Coyle", I'm good with it (I think the tour's so named b/c the purpose is to get FB season tickets going).

Just got home after attending the No-Huddle Alumni Dinner at Monroe Golf Club. As this photo shows, it's a great place to host an event like this ... elegant setting and excellent food. The room was packed with alum's, fans and SU dignitaries.

My wife and I were at "Table 25" (coincidentally near the bar). I found Matt Park early to thank him for coming out to Rochester and bringing JB along after many years of absence. We both lamented that, because of commitments earlier in the day (Buffalo and an award presentation), there was no golf. Stay tuned on that for future years.

The program started with some welcoming comments by Matt and then a tribute to Pearl, which was poignant. After the meal, Matt led Coach Babers and JB up to a small stage with Floyd Little. The four sat in bar-style chairs. JB started the commentary, moderated by Matt (smooth, as always). JB brought his dry sense of humor and seemed at ease talking about the trip to the final four. He highlighted how important it was for the team to believe in itself despite early season struggles and a slate of seemingly unbeatable tournament foes. He talked about the fortuity of playing Middle Tennessee State instead of Michigan State ... noting that he knew SU was going to win when MTS's best player (Giddy Potts) promised that the SU zone would be "no problem". JB brought up next year .. without going into recruiting specifics. He mentioned that we had a special shot-blocker and predicted that the team would be "very good" even without Malachi. JB rounded out his remarks by remembering Pearl and talking about how he was JB's first national recruit. Later during questions, he compared the effect that Pearl had on the program to what Dave Bing had brought to SU years before, and Carmelo years after.

Floyd Little spoke. He was introduced as "Doctor", having received an honorary degree last weekend (he already has a doctoral law degree from U of Denver). He mentioned that SU's 2015-16 season had been one of the most successful academically and athletically in U history. Also talked about were the core values ("commitment and sacrifice") he imparts to players struggling with classes or doubting their ability to succeed at the college level. An unexpected example of this turned out to be Coach Babers, who had turned down an offer for more money after agreeing to come to Syracuse.

From there Coach Babers took over. He was very personable, teasing Floyd that he (Babers) wasn't a "doctor" but he had a masters degree also. HCDB's then went into the process of building a program -- JB interrupted him, joking that "we'll give you a doctoral degree if you start winning some games". This got a round of applause. Coach Babers then talked about how he installed his practice habits with urgency, and challenged the players to return in August looking like they had been practicing all summer. Many comments returned to the theme of restoring the fan-base, "packing it in the Dome" to keep things rowdy for opposing teams. Coach spoke with great excitement about the SU facilities and academic support ... not only the IPF but the only "Domed Stadium in college ball", due to undergo a slew of big changes to make it state of the art. As with Coach Boeheim, Babers did not have time to get into specifics about recruiting, except to say that he trusted his staff's evaluations over the star ratings. In response to a question by Andre Fontenette, he noted that SU was hosting a camp 0r two in June (in NYS) that he hoped would kick off recruiting efforts to keep the state's best athletes from jumping to out-of-state programs.

The evening concluded with the alma mater, supported by a singer (lovely voice) and some SU Marching Band members (I think there was even a tuba in the group).

Last edited:
Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 Pittsford, NY
Jim Boeheim said Pearl Washington was "easily the nicest guy" he's coached off the court. Roosevelt Bouie is only other guy in conversation.

Jim Boeheim telling a story about watching Floyd Little play football as a sophomore at SU. He went to see Gale Sayers. Little scored 5 TDs.

Floyd Little says the last time he saw Pearl Washington was alone in his hospital room before surgery. They prayed together.

Floyd Little jokes that he used to play pickup ball with Jim Boeheim at SU and "I used to eat his lunch."

Dino Babers recalls watching Floyd Little play with the Broncos. "As exciting he was as a HOFer in college and pros, he's a better person."

Dino Babers: "The thing that I need most from all of you is your support, and I need you to have faith." Calls for fans to come and watch.

Floyd Little was impressed with the speed of SU football this spring. Babers told him, like media, that they're only at half speed.

Floyd Little on Babers: "He's old school. He's a man of his word. When he tells you he's going to do something, you can take it 2 the bank."

Floyd Little says Dino Babers was offered more money by another school before taking the head coaching job at Syracuse.

Jim Boeheim said he knew Syracuse was going to beat Middle Tenn St when 1 of their players said they'd faced zones b4 and weren't worried.

Jim Boeheim on getting to Final Four after NCAA suspension: "It was easily the most satisfying coaching year I've had."

Jim Boeheim said he's still as excited about Syracuse basketball as he was when he walked on as a player and when he started as a coach.

Jim Boeheim reiterates his respect for Syracuse track and field coach Chris Fox. Calls him easily SU's best coach.

Dino Babers moved up his training schedule this spring after seeing a player doing a Shafer-era workout. Had to break habits fast.

Dino Babers: "How we come together in August will determine how we play in September, October and November."

Jim Boeheim on AD opening: "We'll get a great candidate in there, someone who will keep us moving in the right direction."

Jim Boeheim said he wants an AD who understands P-5 athletics and what coaches need. Doesn't need to be an SU alum; just someone who cares.

Jim Boeheim said he thinks a Syracuse local or alum could definitely fit that bill, though

Former Syracuse WR Andre Fontenette asks Dino Babers about recruiting NY, specifically Rochester. Babers points to SU camps on June 18-19.

Dino Babers said star rankings mean nothing in his evaluations. Added he's taken four players with no stars over the last four years.

Jim Boeheim asked about recruiting players. He said the kid and mother are crucial; jokes father is often "inconsequential."

Floyd Little jokingly announces himself as the 50-50 raffle winner. ... The actual winner did have "44" in his ticket number.
Jim Boeheim telling a story about watching Floyd Little play football as a sophomore at SU. He went to see Gale Sayers. Little scored 5 TDs.
This was my first SU game as a frosh! :)

Dan North ‏@dnorth9 4m4 minutes ago
Coach Boeheim says "There are 3 guards in Syracuse that are excited to play some basketball." On being asked about Malachi's departure.

Coach Babers hopes the new renovations to come for the Carrier Dome will help make it even louder in there! #Syracuse

Football hall of famer Floyd Little says he's had 3 careers and out of all of them, his time at Syracuse has been his favorite. #Syracuse

Last edited:
Those are some great pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom