Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

What are we supposed to do now? If I remember correctly Jake had said he would be concerned if we didn't land Battle...well I am concerned that a guy we have recruited for 3 years just ups and decides Michigan over the weekend.
I don't get this B1G love all of a sudden from kids from the NE.

As I said yesterday, I had a bad feeling about TB. He could have signed on with us on numerous occasions and did not. I thought he was Duke bound, but he is gone and I say Good Bye ! Onward

This board was on fire when we lost Hodge. His recruitment was so important to the program we had someone there at the announcement so we'd have instant notification. The world was coming to an end.

And Battle didn't even post on this board...

This board was on fire when we lost Hodge. His recruitment was so important to the program we had someone there at the announcement so we'd have instant notification. The world was coming to an end.

yeah, but the Hodge thing was not overcome by Plan B Hakim Warrick. I love Hak, but the player who obviated Hodge was Carmelo Anthony the next year.

The proper analogy is that Bryant was Hodge and Battle was could have been Anthony.

Last edited:

Exactly. Recruiting isn't about who says no.

Its about who says yes.

I agree in that I am very disappointed. However, depending on who we get to fill that "vacant" position could potentially pose a better position for us. You never know. For example, think about it, Simmons or Murray? Man, I would be thrilled at the prospect of either of these guys. If we could land one, Battle can enjoy Michigan and we will be just fine. Bottom line... stop the sky is falling crap and allow this thing to play out as we might be better off. Right now it doesn't look like it, but time will tell.

True, but the extent he is working on these 3 things nobody knows. Is someone tying his right hand behind his back all summer during drills?
Re: left hand. You probably are not far from the truth.

In Bob Cousy's autobiography, he tells the story of breaking his right forearm in high school, and spending a whole summer playing exclusively with his left.

Re: left hand. You probably are not far from the truth.

In Bob Cousy's autobiography, he tells the story of breaking his right forearm in high school, and spending a whole summer playing exclusively with his left.
I remember reading about Lindsey Hunter doing the same thing, sort of. His dad tied his strong hand behind his back and made him dribble with his off hand.

Nicknack said:
I agree in that I am very disappointed. However, depending on who we get to fill that "vacant" position could potentially pose a better position for us. You never know. For example, think about it, Simmons or Murray? Man, I would be thrilled at the prospect of either of these guys. If we could land one, Battle can enjoy Michigan and we will be just fine. Bottom line... stop the sky is falling crap and allow this thing to play out as we might be better off. Right now it doesn't look like it, but time will tell.

I think it's fairly safe to say I tend to be an optimist re: syracuse basketball. But, do you really think we're in any kind of position to land either murray or Simmons? We just missed a kid we've had a relationship with for 4 years, but now we're gonna get a commit from a kid we just offered a couple weeks ago or a kid we still haven't even offered? Whatever you're on, I want some.

I think it's fairly safe to say I tend to be an optimist re: syracuse basketball. But, do you really think we're in any kind of position to land either murray or Simmons? We just missed a kid we've had a relationship with for 4 years, but now we're gonna get a commit from a kid we just offered a couple weeks ago or a kid we still haven't even offered? Whatever you're on, I want some.

The Murray situation I have no idea but it seems Simmons really likes SU. With Battle out of the way we should be getting an idea of who we have a chance with pretty quickly.

I remember reading about Lindsey Hunter doing the same thing, sort of. His dad tied his strong hand behind his back and made him dribble with his off hand.

Pistol Pete Maravich used to dribble a basketball with his left hand to school. I know what you're thinking: BFD, Iommi.

I left out a vital piece of information in my first sentence: Pete would dribble with his arm extended out the rolled down window of his dad's moving car. Amazing. Sounds like an urban legend, but then again, have you watched high school or college clips of Pistol Pete? His black and white clips are so incredible, you'd swear CGI was invented back then.

Last edited:
jordoo said:
The Murray situation I have no idea but it seems Simmons really likes SU. With Battle out of the way we should be getting an idea of who we have a chance with pretty quickly.

I felt to me like Tyus battle really liked SU too. I'm not going to hold my breath that some kid from Georgia is going to commit.

Cue the CuseHulk comment casting aspersions on my fanhood

Holy . I wake up from a great nap to read this?! Good god, I hope I never see the staff put all of their eggs in one basket again. We might have had a golden opportunity to land Murray slip through our fingers by putting all of our chips on Battle. How many of us, myself included, were screaming for the staff to just offer Murray?

Too many of us. Tee and I watched Murray in person at the Mary Kline and were very impressed. The kid is a star and plays with a flair (Whooooo, Nature Boy fans) for making the spectacular play. I just don't get it. At all.

Yeah, exactly. We screamed. I screamed. I still think Murray's game is on par with Simmons and Tyus "The real Fredo" Battle. And iommi, man. I don't have the same sentiment as you posted before. I don't wish the kid well. Kinda got played us on this one and like you say now, this seemed tactless. Sorry to say it, really. But I bet the farm this one was hurtful on the staff. Anyways, he could thrive in Michigan, let's be honest. Beilein is a great coach imo. The atmosphere, the education, I get it. He's a smart kid and Duke, Michigan, SU. All good choices. It doesn't feel like the Bryant situation. I think he could have smoothed this one out by being a little more obvious and not diss the official visit the way he did. This one stings, no way around that. A who's who of bball is pursuing Simmons and Murray's stock has recently risen. We need to smooth things out with Jamal.

Tee: I do wish Battle well because I like him quite a bit, despite today's events. But again, I am pissed he handled it the way he did, blowing off our visit. I do think you have every right to not wish him well, but if I posted the same thing I'd be slammed on this board for being negative.Kudos to you for going on record saying you don't wish him well.

I do hope he does well, genuinely, but i will add that I've never liked Michigan, especially after 2013. And this certainly will bring on some hatred of Big Blue. Truth be told, I actually had a Michigan t-shirt that was basically taking up space in one of my drawers. It was a stupid gift from a clueless girlfriend many moons ago. I threw it in the trash today.

Last edited:
I think people are dreaming if they think Simmons is coming to SU. For some reason, Murray has never seemed like an option for SU. I just see us settling for Washington or the other kid from Rochester. I don't think either one of them are ACC players.

Tee: I do wish Battle well because I like him quite a bit, despite today's events. But again, I am pissed he handled it the way he did, blowing off our visit. I do think you have every right to not wish him well, but if I posted the same thing I'd be slammed on this board for being negative.Kudos to you for going on record saying you don't wish him well.

I do hope he does well, genuinely, but i will add that I've never liked Michigan, especially after 2013. And this certainly will lean towards hating Big Blue. Truth be told, I actually had a Michigan t-shirt that was basically taking up space in one of my drawers. It was a stupid gift from a clueless girlfriend many moons ago. I threw it in the trash today.
Yeah, boss throw that sucker out! hahahahahahah I needed that. You know me. Never give up. But sometimes, things suck.

I could care less as long as we can get Murray or Simmons - hell, Simmons is rated higher than Battle by every service I've seen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom