Rumor is chucks is closing? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor is chucks is closing?

Yeah. Wouldn't be surprised if development is delayed by the wait for the market study that the institutions are pushing for. But the developer is moving forward even before the rezoning takes place.

Interesting. Complete teardown of those buildings there? Funk and Waffles out as well?

Interesting. Complete teardown of those buildings there? Funk and Waffles out as well?

Yeah, everything in the main building on the alley, along with the small attached row building to the north (credit union and Lucy's, I think?) gets demolished. But not the old McD's with the bubble tea place. It's a fairly narrow lot, but deep. Sounds like the initial plan is to more than replace the existing retail, but we'll see what happens to that. Eight-story apartment building, there'll probably be some opposition from the usual suspects.

We had a song at our fraternity...... "Friday night at Maggie's, preppies, JAPS and greeks" (no offense intended to anyone - things were a lot less PC back then)

By my senior year, the only night I didn't go out was Monday - to "sober up". Sunday was Faegan's, Tuesday 44's, Wednesday Maggies, Thursday 44's. Friday started early - midday lunch/afternoon at Chuck's, then back to the House - where things basically went wild Friday through Sunday morning.

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

Thanks mom and dad. I have no how I afforded it all. Course the "fix" was always in on flip night at Faegan's.

God I miss college.

We had a song at our fraternity... "Friday night at Maggie's, preppies, JAPS and greeks" (no offense intended to anyone - things were a lot less PC back then)

By my senior year, the only night I didn't go out was Monday - to "sober up". Sunday was Faegan's, Tuesday 44's, Wednesday Maggies, Thursday 44's. Friday started early - midday lunch/afternoon at Chuck's, then back to the House - where things basically went wild Friday through Sunday morning.

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

Thanks mom and dad. I have no how I afforded it all. Course the "fix" was always in on flip night at Faegan's.

God I miss college.

Jesus. Looking back I probably could have gone out a bit more, which is amazing since three nights a week pretty much guaranteed slamming drinks. With engineering schedule it wasn't as easy to go out mid week but I did try the occasional flip night.

Pretty much only partied at chucks (over 90% of time on marshall was there), and house parties, and roommates fraternity

Jesus. Looking back I probably could have gone out a bit more, which is amazing since three nights a week pretty much guaranteed slamming drinks. With engineering schedule it wasn't as easy to go out mid week but I did try the occasional flip night.

Pretty much only partied at chucks (over 90% of time on marshall was there), and house parties, and roommates fraternity
Sharing some thoughts about Chuck’s

That was a pretty nice essay. I had some friends in town this weekend for the game and one of them (ahem, Scoopadelphia) insisted we go to Chuck's afterward. None of us had been in there for almost four years, but it was a pleasant surprise. Agree with those Nunes commenters talking about the music - I've never been to a bar that plays such a weird, solid mix of early-'90s Snoop Dogg right on down through Paul Simon. It's great.

Chuck's is a dump, but it's a pretty cool place to pass the time. Don't know if it's a great "college bar," but it's a great SU bar, and that's a dying breed.

That was a pretty nice essay. I had some friends in town this weekend for the game and one of them (ahem, Scoopadelphia) insisted we go to Chuck's afterward. None of us had been in there for almost four years, but it was a pleasant surprise. Agree with those Nunes commenters talking about the music - I've never been to a bar that plays such a weird, solid mix of early-'90s Snoop Dogg right on down through Paul Simon. It's great.

Chuck's is a dump, but it's a pretty cool place to pass the time. Don't know if it's a great "college bar," but it's a great SU bar, and that's a dying breed.

Have they changed the playlist since 2003? That's when I started going. Same music all the time.

The new owners trashed the place. They actually used to have good food in the mid oughts.

Cutting costs hurt that place IMO.

Have they changed the playlist since 2003? That's when I started going. Same music all the time.

The new owners trashed the place. They actually used to have good food in the mid oughts.

Cutting costs hurt that place IMO.

Seems like exactly the same playlist to me, I was amazed. None of that contemporary crap they play for the kids at the Dome, just the music that students listened to in 1998, 2005, and 2013. Very cool.

New owner has changed some things. The Nunes commenters have more insight into that than I do, but my experience is that he shook up the food menu, both by raising prices and by dropping the French bread pizza (a staple of the old place). The last time I was in there before Saturday was in spring 2013 and I was disappointed to learn that $3 burger Mondays had become half-price burger Mondays; not only is the regular price about $9, but it was of much lower quality and came with a side salad instead of fries. A few weeks after that we tried to go for both lunch and early happy hour and learned that the new owner stopped service for both - they open at something like 6 now. Weak. Impromptu day-drinking at Chuck's, reading the DO, was one of the better SU experiences. No longer.

Seems like exactly the same playlist to me, I was amazed. None of that contemporary crap they play for the kids at the Dome, just the music that students listened to in 1998, 2005, and 2013. Very cool.

New owner has changed some things. The Nunes commenters have more insight into that than I do, but my experience is that he shook up the food menu, both by raising prices and by dropping the French bread pizza (a staple of the old place). The last time I was in there before Saturday was in spring 2013 and I was disappointed to learn that $3 burger Mondays had become half-price burger Mondays; not only is the regular price about $9, but it was of much lower quality and came with a side salad instead of fries. A few weeks after that we tried to go for both lunch and early happy hour and learned that the new owner stopped service for both - they open at something like 6 now. Weak. Impromptu day-drinking at Chuck's, reading the DO, was one of the better SU experiences. No longer.

Not to mention I was shocked to learn that they don't open until 10 a.m. for noon basketball games. I want in at 8 a.m. for a big noon game!!

[QUOTE="Cusefan0307, post: 2038334, member: 1743"Have they changed the playlist since 2003? That's when I started going. Same music all the time.]

Cutting costs hurt that place IMO.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing, I go there every couple of years since i graduated, and it absolutely seems like they play the same songs every time I'm there.

I'm 100% in on Chucks, it should never change.

Nothing worse than Piels in can, with that hint of aluminum.

try drinking Matt's splits at 4 for the $1 at Jab. Worst tasting beer that I think I've ever had. I swear it was brewed with used iron tailings from Bethleham Steel in Lackawana.

In my four years on the hill, 84-88, I can probably use the fingers on one hand to represent the number of times I went to Chuck's...I just never hung out there...

During my years 98-02 Chuck's literally did not exist. For a while when people on the board posted about it, I thought I was in some type of alternate dimension, until another poster who was at SU around my years told the story of it going away and then making a triumphant return in 03.

Last edited:
try drinking Matt's splits at 4 for the $1 at Jab. Worst tasting beer that I think I've ever had. I swear it was brewed with used iron tailings from Bethleham Steel in Lackawana.
That stuff came out of Utica and may have been brewed with Mohawk River water.

That stuff came out of Utica and may have been brewed with Mohawk River water.
Staple of the Brewster 12 floor parties
c9a942757e7a53f937854c264f0f0370.jpg

We had a song at our fraternity... "Friday night at Maggie's, preppies, JAPS and greeks" (no offense intended to anyone - things were a lot less PC back then)

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

God I miss college.

as someone who ran with the SDT/AEPhi crowd, your house song was wrong. the japs were at harry's

as someone who spent more than a couple of nights dj'ing at chucks, this pleases me.

_____

now I think I need to get a Chuck's t-shirt

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

God I miss college.

Bounced at Maggie's. The original, not where ZJ's is.that place was a dumpster fire. Left there a few times after hours and went straight to class. That place let anyone in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom