Syracuse Football Ticket Sales | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Football Ticket Sales

I do want to thank all of you so far who have given feedback. The whole point of this post was to throw myself out here and see what true Syracuse fans have to say. I want to make it known that we are listening and paying attention but I figured what better way to make that known than to get on here and communicate with you guys?

I would love to meet you all at our Spring Game here on Saturday at 1pm. I think that you all have had some great points and I'd love to get a chance to hear from you all. Like I stated before - email me any time with questions, concerns, feedback, or ticket related questions. I can't please everyone but I'll do my best to make sure you guys are heard. I hope to see you on Saturday!!!

We're usually in Section 116.

I realize I might be in the minority here but I for one love the night games. With kids sports schedules, it gets tough going to your kids/family events and also making the games. Usually the family loses out and I attend the games but at a small price if you know what I mean. Having weekend night games usually solves that problem since the family stuff is done by mid afternoon. It also seems to be a better atmosphere in the dome at night. Night games might be tougher for fans that travel however. Just my two cents.

You're not in the minority. Noon games suck on a bunch of levels but a lot of parents having kids involved in sports in the AM likely cost a few thousand fans for noon kickoffs.

Dan, I just want to join in welcoming your interaction with everyone on this board. The gesture alone says a lot about your passion for SU Athletics, you'll find yourself in good company here.

blizz - I appreciate that. Love all things 'Cuse but Football brings out the passion in everyone and I love that

It's so frustrating at games, when we the fans at the game can't see the same replays that people are seeing at home. What do the higher ups expect to happen? The entire crowd is going to storm the field if a bad call is made? You have to make the experience better than sitting at home watching the game on people's 60 inch LED flat screen.

It's so frustrating at games, when we the fans at the game can't see the same replays that people are seeing at home. What do the higher ups expect to happen? The entire crowd is going to storm the field if a bad call is made? You have to make the experience better than sitting at home watching the game on people's 60 inch LED flat screen.
I love the people who scream at you to sit down when there is a big play!

I've said it before but I would like to see SU get more aggressive about marketing to the many upstate SUNY schools about being NY's college team. Offer game day buses and severely discounted season tickets to SUNY students and include t-shirts in the package that say things like SUNY CORTLAND IS ORANGE, SUNY BROCKPORT IS ORANGE, etc. This could get many of the students at these colleges that do not offer D-I athletics a chance to have a connection to SU sports.

There is a huge untapped market of at least 20 SUNY schools that average between 8,000 and 25,000 students. Each college could easily send a bus or two of students to games and could create fans for life.

I've said it before but I would like to see SU get more aggressive about marketing to the many upstate SUNY schools about being NY's college team. Offer game day buses and severely discounted season tickets to SUNY students and include t-shirts in the package that say things like SUNY CORTLAND IS ORANGE, SUNY BROCKPORT IS ORANGE, etc. This could get many of the students at these colleges that do not offer D-I athletics a chance to have a connection to SU sports.

There is a huge untapped market of at least 20 SUNY schools that average between 8,000 and 25,000 students. Each college could easily send a bus or two of students to games and could create fans for life.
:cool:

You have to target some youth groups, high school teams etc. If you look around a home Syracuse Football game you see a lot of old faces. We need to get the younger generation involved again. How, well that's job haha.

The pricing structure is a complete mess as others have stated. It should be blown up and started from scratch.

Love that suggestion. We are definitely doing our research and reaching out!

Which suggestion? The one about the younger generation? Or the one about the pricing structure? Both are very valid observations/suggestions.

You have to target some youth groups, high school teams etc. If you look around a home Syracuse Football game you see a lot of old faces. We need to get the younger generation involved again. How, well that's job haha.

The pricing structure is a complete mess as others have stated. It should be blown up and started from scratch.

Love that suggestion. We are definitely doing our research and reaching out!

Which suggestion? The one about the younger generation? Or the one about the pricing structure? Both are very valid observations/suggestions.

The suggestion of youth is a good one - that is something we have been actively after. As far as the pricing model is concerned I understand your concerns and they have made changes. Maybe not blowing it up and starting over but we are aware of that issue.

Really agree with this. We have tickets in 129-130 and you'll see these sections turn totally around facing the AD's box behind them hoping to see a replay on their tv's or get an explanation for what's happening on the field. Many of us try to text someone who's watching at home to tell us too - the wireless connections thwart that though. Not good like hoopstate said when tv viewers have the advantage sitting on their couches. Thank you for soliciting input.

I'd add in also Lemoyne & OCC.

Really agree with this. We have tickets in 129-130 and you'll see these sections turn totally around facing the AD's box behind them hoping to see a replay on their tv's or get an explanation for what's happening on the field. Many of us try to text someone who's watching at home to tell us too - the wireless connections thwart that though. Not good like hoopstate said when tv viewers have the advantage sitting on their couches. Thank you for soliciting input.

I appreciate this feedback especially. Being in ticket sales that's a big focal point for me. Improving the gameday experience so the best seat for the game isn't the couch.

Actually the best school to do this is SUNY Oswego of the SUNY schools. Oswego St. has no D-3 Football team so they won't be stepping on any toes. Start there and see if it works. Might be best to interact through the Greeks and Club Teams. Obviously a no-brainer to get LeMoyne/OCC involved too.

EDIT Add: We know SU loves to print T-shirts. Each Oswego St. student that steps on the bus gets a T-shirt to wear. Also, allow them to sit with the SU students or the very least put them in the upperdeck above the students.

Last edited:
So many great ideas and really like that you have taken the initiative to solicit this board for input. You will not find greater SU fans anywhere like the ones that reside on here.

What I'd like to add is about the student section. Preaching to the choir, but when the student section is full and into it (like at the big hoops games), the energy level of the entire Dome is magnified. I was fortunate to be a student at SU in the late 80's & early 90's when the student section was full and rocking for most of the games. My suggestion would be have the coaching staff and players go to each and every fraternity, sorority, residence halls, club meetings when the students first arrive on campus and ask them directly to support the team. You have over 100 players, coaches and staff who could spread out and make this a big campaign. Have the players explain how much work they are putting into fielding the best possible team and how much the team needs the students to bring it and help them. Give the students some ownership of the their team and play off the "I'm In" campaign. I don't even want to hear about noon games being too early. I can remember waking up at 8am for a "Kegs & Eggs" tailgate before a Pitt game I think my soph year. Make it an event and the students will be there. Sometimes when special guests are at the Dome (Donovan McNabb, Jim Brown, etc...) have them go into the student section, meet the kids, lead them in a cheer, whatever. Just a few thoughts...

Last edited:
So many great ideas and really like that you have taken the initiative to solicit this board for input. You will not find greater SU fans anywhere like the ones that reside on here.

What I'd like to add is about the student section. Preaching to the choir, but when the student section is full and into it (like at the big hoops games), the energy level of the entire Dome is magnified. I was fortunate to be a student at SU in the late 80's & early 90's when the student section was full and rocking for most of the games. My suggestion would be have the coaching staff and players go to each and every fraternity, sorority, residence halls, club meetings when the students first arrive on campus and ask them directly to support the team. You have over 100 players, coaches and staff who could spread out and make this a big campaign. Have the players explain how much work they are putting into fielding the best possible team and how much the team needs the students to bring it and help them. Give the students some ownership of the their team and play off the "I'm In" campaign. I don't even want to hear about noon games being too early. I can remember waking up at 8am for a "Kegs & Eggs" tailgate before a Pitt game I think my soph year. Make it an event and the students will be there. Sometimes when special guests are at the Dome (Donovan McNabb, Jim Brown, etc...) have them go into the student section, meet the kids, lead them in a cheer, whatever. Just a few thoughts...

Definitely. This is why I'm on this board in APRIL. This feedback is fuel to get people excited and out to all these great games this year and years to come

I agree with much of what Tom and others have said.

As far as the Fort Drum thing I would suggest selling the base a Block of Season tickets for a good price all seated together, 3-5 busloads worth. Allow the base to give tickets to their "Soldiers of the week" and/or by a lottery system for the soldiers. The base provides bussing and SU provides free parking for the 3-5 busses and offers Orange Camo SU/10th Mtn Div T-Shirts for sale at a fair price on Base. Busloads for the season opener and veterans day get the T-shirt free.

I also agree with Tom that military priced season tickets should be available. My input would be when the team goes up there for fall camp you guys should set up a tent on base every day to sell season tickets at a military discount rate for soldiers and family.

As far as the stadium itself colorizing the seating similar to the way the superdome looks would be huge. That way regardless of attendance it always looks full via seat wraps in the lower deck and ad-steps in the upper deck. This would eliminate all the silver benches and gray bleachers. You can do this affordably or even make money by selling ads, on backgrounds of multiple shades of Orange and Blue as well as some black and white, to a few vendors repeated hundreds of times in random patterns around the dome that are readable up close but just look like colors from across the stadium. Since each color would only be a seat wide you could also have the section, row and seat numbers added to the graphic to improve people's ability to find their seats. If the place looks more full on TV and to patrons its going to generate it's own buzz.

Improve concourse and field lighting brightness. Ephesus Lighting is a local LED sports facility lighting company that just re-did the war memorial. (note: I don't work for this company, I just like their work and they are local)

Restore 44 - lets see it back on the field again instead of looking at the horrible garbage bag looking thing hanging from the dome.

Let the band play! - too many commercials and radio music. I want a college football atmosphere, not a commercial about window washing fluid or some 80's hair band song blasting my ear.

Widen the concourses. It's long overdue.

Show all replays controversial or not! The athletics dept. paid for those video boards. Lets use 'em! What's gonna happen? Refs get booed? They're used to it.

I know there is some kind of party/rally that goes on in the quad. Have never been so I'm not sure what is available/not available but maybe there could be some concessions sold out there prior to the game. Sippin a few beers in the quad on a nice fall day with perhaps some food options like a grilled burger, chicken, sausage, dog seems like something a lot of people could be interested in, especially if you could incorporate some live bands and some visits some old Syracuse football legends, some current athletes from other sports. Or even a walk-thru by the football team as they make their way to the dome. I realize it has the potential to not be well attended at first but hopefully over time it would catch on and be a fun pre-game ritual, and with concessions an additional revenue for the school. Also, anything you can do to give fans up-close access to the team should be a priority. I think this type of event could help make an impression on the young budding oranges that come to the game with Mom and Dad. Maybe even have Coach Shafer yell a few things into a microphone while said band is on a break. Just spit-balling but this just sounds like fun and a good way for the fans to get hyped for the game!

Also during warm-ups, in between radio songs, play some classic highlights from old games with the radio call from the Voice of the Orange synched up to it.

Now that the band is playing during the game more, lets cut them off some at halftime so there is time to do fun contests. Kicking, throwing... etc. But instead of dragging out fans that no one knows, bring out some athletes from other sports to compete against each other. You could have contestants from men's hoops, womens hoops, mens lax, womens lax... and could tally up the winning team from each game and keep the standings going throughout the season so that one of the teams gets some cheesy trophy to hold onto until the next year like the Stanley Cup. Sort of like a gym class in front of 50,000 ppl. Maybe its just me but that could be something different and funny and could even draw more students and more student-athletes to come out to the football games. Or if you didn't want to do athletes you could have students representing different majors to compete against each other.

Just some ideas, thanks for checking in on us. There are plenty of thoughtful people on this board that could be an asset to creating more in game excitement in the Dome.

Go Orange!

Restore 44 - lets see it back on the field again instead of looking at the horrible garbage bag looking thing hanging from the dome.

Let the band play! - too many commercials and radio music. I want a college football atmosphere, not a commercial about window washing fluid or some 80's hair band song blasting my ear.

Widen the concourses. It's long overdue.

Show all replays controversial or not! The athletics dept. paid for those video boards. Lets use 'em! What's gonna happen? Refs get booed? They're used to it.

I know there is some kind of party/rally that goes on in the quad. Have never been so I'm not sure what is available/not available but maybe there could be some concessions sold out there prior to the game. Sippin a few beers in the quad on a nice fall day with perhaps some food options like a grilled burger, chicken, sausage, dog seems like something a lot of people could be interested in, especially if you could incorporate some live bands and some visits some old Syracuse football legends, some current athletes from other sports. Or even a walk-thru by the football team as they make their way to the dome. I realize it has the potential to not be well attended at first but hopefully over time it would catch on and be a fun pre-game ritual, and with concessions an additional revenue for the school. Also, anything you can do to give fans up-close access to the team should be a priority. I think this type of event could help make an impression on the young budding oranges that come to the game with Mom and Dad. Maybe even have Coach Shafer yell a few things into a microphone while said band is on a break. Just spit-balling but this just sounds like fun and a good way for the fans to get hyped for the game!

Also during warm-ups, in between radio songs, play some classic highlights from old games with the radio call from the Voice of the Orange synched up to it.

Now that the band is playing during the game more, lets cut them off some at halftime so there is time to do fun contests. Kicking, throwing... etc. But instead of dragging out fans that no one knows, bring out some athletes from other sports to compete against each other. You could have contestants from men's hoops, womens hoops, mens lax, womens lax... and could tally up the winning team from each game and keep the standings going throughout the season so that one of the teams gets some cheesy trophy to hold onto until the next year like the Stanley Cup. Sort of like a gym class in front of 50,000 ppl. Maybe its just me but that could be something different and funny and could even draw more students and more student-athletes to come out to the football games. Or if you didn't want to do athletes you could have students representing different majors to compete against each other.

Just some ideas, thanks for checking in on us. There are plenty of thoughtful people on this board that could be an asset to creating more in game excitement in the Dome.

Go Orange!

A lot of cool ideas here - When I worked facilities we had the basketball team come shoot goals at soccer games which fans loved! Really love this feedback and passion!

Charge SU students $25 and give them a ticket to every SU sporting event. Just make it an activity fee and let them all in for free.

Charter a bus (or more) from surrounding cities (Utica, Rochester, Binghamton, Cortland, Albany, Watertown, Buffalo) - price is $50 - includes a ticket and bus fare.

I second the comments on upgrading seasons. I upgraded three years ago but the process was very frustrating and confusing. The school needs to REACH OUT to your existing season ticket base each and every year to see who would like to improve their seating location. I think you would be surprised at the number of people in the 300's or end zones who would be interested in moving down/around and paying some more, they just don't know what's available and how to do it (except for Texan Mark of course who is a real cheap skate kind of guy :p).

Run a bus or the Ontrack train from Armory Square, before and after the game. This is a win win for the city and the University. Lots of parking down there which is not being utilized. It also is an appealing area for visiting fans and would further the impression they have regarding Syracuse.

DrBartle -

One comment on the ticket upgrade process for season ticket holders: When working through the Ticketmaster website, the available seats do not inform the user which Preferred Section the available seat is located in. In some cases this is easy to figure out, but in some it is a little confusing. The official recommendation is to open the seating chart on the SU website while going through the process -- this sorta works --- but come on - we ought to be able to automate this a little more. My two cents.

Thanks for reaching out to the fanbase for feedback. Very cool.

DrBartle -

One comment on the ticket upgrade process for season ticket holders: When working through the Ticketmaster website, the available seats do not inform the user which Preferred Section the available seat is located in. In some cases this is easy to figure out, but in some it is a little confusing. The official recommendation is to open the seating chart on the SU website while going through the process -- this sorta works --- but come on - we ought to be able to automate this a little more. My two cents.

Thanks for reaching out to the fanbase for feedback. Very cool.

That is definitely very helpful feedback. Always looking for ways to improve for our season tix holders