Syracuse Football Ticket Sales | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Football Ticket Sales

I appreciate all this great feedback and the passion you all have shown! My director has been reading these comments all day and we cannot thank you all enough for the ideas, comments, questions, and so on.

I will be checking posts daily and if you guys ever have any questions please let me know! My email again is drbartle @ syr dot edu

I have also attached our mini plan offer. I figured if you guys didn't have something already you may know someone who may be interested! Looking forward to building a great relationship with you all and I hope you're ready for our 'Major Announcement' tomorrow :)

Attachments

• FB 3 Game Pack.pdf
    124.4 KB · Views: 124
Get er full again Buddy! Idc how. Fill it with sea turtles for all i care! Thanks for showing up on here

just an idea on mini plans. offer more than 1 like the current one where villanova,fsu and any other game for 125. If the nova Give game doesn't work give the option of substituting one of the other games for that game at like $10-$15 more. Give season ticket holders for football a discount if they want bball tickets as well? Promote the heck out of su sports locally

I second the comments on upgrading seasons. I upgraded three years ago but the process was very frustrating and confusing. The school needs to REACH OUT to your existing season ticket base each and every year to see who would like to improve their seating location. I think you would be surprised at the number of people in the 300's or end zones who would be interested in moving down/around and paying some more, they just don't know what's available and how to do it (except for Texan Mark of course who is a real cheap skate kind of guy :p).

Run a bus or the Ontrack train from Armory Square, before and after the game. This is a win win for the city and the University. Lots of parking down there which is not being utilized. It also is an appealing area for visiting fans and would further the impression they have regarding Syracuse.

The upgrade process was abysmal this year. Definite need to upgrade the upgrade process. Hire a couple more people to process requests over the phone; the online process was a failure.

$15 to park at a LAX game is unreasonable. Hopkins charges $5-10 a game. Virginia, UNC and Duke all offer free parking.

And I think Tomcat has a great idea ... free OAA access for season ticket holders.
I parked in the garage right next to the stadium at Cornell FOR FREE, the tailgating lot charged $10.00

OH!!! Sell Ginger Ale for tomcat

Dan thanks for coming on. I agree on what Tomcat said.

My understanding on the food at the Dome is they are restricted to no open flames so grilling Coneys is a no go. If we are stuck with the Dome for the next 10-20 years a modification to the West side makes sense. Add a recruiting/VIP lounge. Put in a full service restaurant. Build a kitchen facility to allow better quality Dome concessions. Definitely make Dome food local and unique.

I'll fill you in on Tailgating later.

FINALLY: Get SU to work with Destiny, Armory Square Merchants to underwrite a Dome Train on Weekends. Destiny-Armory Square-University
how did burger king get around the grilling issue?

Dan,
Myself and other appreciate you reaching out. There are a ton of good ideas being discussed here. But I'd like to discuss two in particular that I think could be accomplished, if the University has the patience and vision to build this back up over the long haul.

I certainly understand the university's decision to think for today during the Big East years, because frankly, every penny that could be earned, had to be. But now with the ACC money coming in, I hope it affords the school the opportunity to catch its breath, and really figure things out for the long haul.

Concept #1 - Reduce the advertising clutter -especially the ads that include live game announcements. This is a simple concept that I've seen used over and over and over again in many products. Reduce inventory and raise the price. Make the product / advertisement mean some thing. Fans get sooo bombarded with ads at the Dome they literally tune out once the whistle blows. If your advertisers were honest, even they would agree that their message gets lost. 10 advertisers paying $5,000 dollars is much better than 50 advertisers paying $1,000. You get the same revenue, but your advertisers get a cleaner message and your fans get a better environment. You will lose a ton of advertisers the first year...but that's fine because you will have reduced the clutter and then they (or others) will eventually want back in because the environment is more desirable. Patience grasshopper.

Concept #2 - Flatten the price structure for tickets. Someone up there must do an complete inventory of the maximum revenue potential per game under the current structure and compare it to actual sales. It has to suck. The key here is more price points, not fewer. More of them will reduce the price discrepancy between sections, which annoy fans. Market it as "orange slice pricing" and slice up the dome vertically. Also, sell the first level seats between the 44 yard lines as the "44" package or something like that. It should be the only premium pricing but not $150 on game day like it currently is. Nobody is buying those. Get rid of the GROB special end zone 100 dollar seats. You don't need to do that anymore. Again this will move more fans to the middle of the field, which is better for TV which is where more of your money is these days anyway...and improves the game day atmosphere. Nothing sucks more than walking into the dome and groaning because all of those great seats are empty. Nobody cares if the endzone seats aren't full. Heck, those can be the giveaway seats to military and youth groups.

Last edited:
All good ideas. Tom, Mark, Chip, IO and others covered much territory

"Paint" the exterior in Orange and Blue lights.

Ticket prices will always be an issue with families, offer family packs (# of tickets plus food vouchers and maybe some "Dome Bucks" for souvenirs/food), especially with the lower value games (the body bag game, the BC, Pitt etc. games)

Games versus teams in recruiting areas (Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Ohio) and desirable localles (NOLA, Florida).

Make Game Days a real event (encourage tailgating, perhaps taking the Fine Mess to Official status)*, make the Quad a family event place (some kids things to do: Football tosses-in T-Shirts, push a sled, etc.)

Get college kids in the seats. These guys will be the next generation of season ticket holders and life long fans. Don't ignore the locals (I am one as I did not attend SU), they too will become lifelong fans. Filling the Dome is more important than selling seats at a premium. Fill it regularly and ticket prices can increase. Keep it pricy and you may never fill it to build the buzz and loyalty. No one plays well in the Dome when it has 45K or more.

* While attending an OU game, my host purchased some "Official Tailagate" tickets and we ate like kings with food from dozens of restaurants, all you can eat. Big donors/season ticketholders get preference and the rest go like crazy. Retail about $30/each but well worth it. Great way to showcase Upstate NY foods to visiting teams (Yes, they are allotted some of these tickets, too). They have games and prizes as well as auctions for memorobilia.

Rocco said:
Thanks for stopping by. I don't need to add anything as all of my "issues" have already been brought up. With that being said, paint the silver bleacher seats ORANGE. It will greatly help with the perception. ;)

I actually think it would be better to paint the dreary gray concrete facing than the bleachers. Would brighten the place up much more and you don't have to worry about the paint chipping on clothing issue that has come up when they've looked at bleacher painting.

Millhouse said:
turn the field sideways like basketball.

By the way, I have no idea why I thought this said baseball. Probably some combo of late night tax prep and just getting dumber in general.

40 is the new 80.

I actually think it would be better to paint the dreary gray concrete facing than the bleachers. Would brighten the place up much more and you don't have to worry about the paint chipping on clothing issue that has come up when they've looked at bleacher painting.

Agreed. Here's an image of an empty University of Florida stadium.
Swamp-panoramic.jpg

Compare to Carrier Dome.

SyracuseShave030.jpeg

Orange doesn't have to extend throughout seating areas - that's unrealistic due to wear and tear, and upkeep costs.

But look at the areas above the first level of seats and just under the suite level that is gray, the entranceways, and the walls above the upper deck. All of those should be painted Orange.

Agreed. Here's an image of an empty University of Florida stadium.
Swamp-panoramic.jpg

Compare to Carrier Dome.

SyracuseShave030.jpeg

Orange doesn't have to extend throughout seating areas - that's unrealistic due to wear and tear, and upkeep costs.

But look at the areas above the first level of seats and just under the suite level that is gray, the entranceways, and the walls above the upper deck. All of those should be painted Orange.
Those walls were all painted a while ago. When was the last time you were in the dome?

Those walls were all painted a while ago. When was the last time you were in the dome?

Even the ones above the upper deck? I don't think those ones have been. Those are the ones that would make the biggest difference IMO. And the entranceways definitely have not been.

FOOD - I made a suggestion a while ago that wouldn't require too much with regard to the food.

There should be an outdoor concession stand/trailer/tent at every gate selling and grilling some of NY's best products, Dinosaur, Gianelli, Leigh and Steigerwalds, Hoffman's, etc. This avoids completely the open flame issue inside the dome and gives some people a minute outside during breaks/halftime to clear the concourse a bit. You could set up a trailer or tents along with some of those moveable corrals close to each gate. Contract them out to vendors so they can offer craft beers on draft, and deep fried stuff, French fries, chicken fingers, etc. Real NY style pizza from Paladino's, Mario & Salvo's, Avicolli's, not what is served there now...contract the food that the locals love and visitors will be surprised by.

Start an hour or so before the game and do it in addition to what goes on in the quad, just offer alcohol where the quad doesn't. I bet you will find out how fast one is more popular than the other. Keep them separate if possible.

I for one would love to step outside the dome at halftime and after each quarter to get a Gianelli sausage and a craft beer from the tap.

Granted, weather would play a factor later in the year but only for a few games.

just an idea on mini plans. offer more than 1 like the current one where villanova,fsu and any other game for 125. If the nova Give game doesn't work give the option of substituting one of the other games for that game at like $10-$15 more. Give season ticket holders for football a discount if they want bball tickets as well? Promote the heck out of su sports locally

This will not be our only mini plan - we wanted this one out early because of the FSU Game!

If the topic is now "changes that need to be made to the Dome" - the absolute first thing that needs to be done is REPLACE THE BENCHES with STADIUM SEATING.

Last edited:
If the topic is now "changes that need to be made to the Dome" - the absolute first thing that needs to be done is REPLACE THE BENCHES with STADIUM SEATING.

I love the dome, just fill it however you can. I do my share, my brother and close friends have 18 season tickets all together and never miss a game. Granted, we are in the 311 section but we love it and encourage more to buy seats near us.

Dan another idea: You gotta have a train running though from Destiny--Armory Square--Dome to make this work.

Get with the Destiny Folks: When they market to Ottawa/Southern Ontario, offer to sell SU FB + BB tickets to Canadians at a kiosk (if you show a purchase receipt at the Mall...you can get $20 Dome tix with a Canadian ID), some men might just like the ability to take the train from the Mall to the game and leave the wife in her shopping paradise.

Look we market ourselves as "NY's College Team"...why not market to Canada too?

Last edited:
Compress the lower level preferred seating, especially on the visitor side which is what is seen on TV.
Add an E level, if necessary, to fill the the space being abandoned by those being compressed to the middle.

Consider adding Orange (and blue) stadium seats in the lower level between the 20s aside from the student section. This will reduce capacity a bit, but will make things look full (and colorful) for football as a result. There is potential basketball impact so some creativity may be required.

I appreciate all this great feedback and the passion you all have shown! My director has been reading these comments all day and we cannot thank you all enough for the ideas, comments, questions, and so on.

I will be checking posts daily and if you guys ever have any questions please let me know! My email again is drbartle @ syr dot edu

I have also attached our mini plan offer. I figured if you guys didn't have something already you may know someone who may be interested! Looking forward to building a great relationship with you all and I hope you're ready for our 'Major Announcement' tomorrow :)

Dan, I hope for your sake that the announcement is indeed "major". If not, be prepared to catch a ton of flak since you are unofficially the face and voice of SU on this board now. I'll try to keep good thoughts for you. If it's a dud, it might be a good idea to put on a disguise at the Spring Game--there will be "Wanted" posters with your face on it placed above the pee troughs. May God have mercy on your soul! ;)

Dan, thanks for signing up and soliciting opinions. Great work by all.

One thing I've always thought of that I haven't seen mentioned:

SU should offer inexpensive (or free, until demand increases) season-long tailgating spots on the Quad and Hendricks Field as an alternative to tailgating in the lots. Allow groups to stake out a ~400 square foot plot, set it up early that morning or the night before the game, and park remotely.

I experienced something similar at Texas A&M and it seems to be a common practice at big southern schools. It works well; as long as parking and traffic are perceived to be difficult, this would be a way to get people onto campus and enjoying the football experience without the inconvenience and expense of storing a car. SU has plenty of green space; I think this could prove popular with university support.

Dan, I hope for your sake that the announcement is indeed "major". If not, be prepared to catch a ton of flak since you are unofficially the face and voice of SU on this board now. I'll try to keep good thoughts for you. If it's a dud, it might be a good idea to put on a disguise at the Spring Game--there will be "Wanted" posters with your face on it placed above the pee troughs. May God have mercy on your soul! ;)

Haha! We're excited here in the office about the announcements I can tell you that! I'm all about feedback you guys should know that by now!! :)

I agree with much of what Tom and others have said.

As far as the stadium itself colorizing the seating similar to the way the superdome looks would be huge. That way regardless of attendance it always looks full via seat wraps in the lower deck and ad-steps in the upper deck. This would eliminate all the silver benches and gray bleachers. You can do this affordably or even make money by selling ads, on backgrounds of multiple shades of Orange and Blue as well as some black and white, to a few vendors repeated hundreds of times in random patterns around the dome that are readable up close but just look like colors from across the stadium. Since each color would only be a seat wide you could also have the section, row and seat numbers added to the graphic to improve people's ability to find their seats. If the place looks more full on TV and to patrons its going to generate it's own buzz.

Totally agree with this... Dome looks terrible on TV with all the silver... Making the dome look full when it may not be knocked out helps change perception... Change perception and then slowly evolves into reality...