Time to move on: next year's forwards | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Time to move on: next year's forwards

Jerami Grant has made his decision--time to turn the page. We hardly knew you, Jerami--good look at the next level.

Looking ahead to next year's team, there is a BIG opportunity for PT at the forward position. And we need all three youngsters to step up and prove themselves to be contributors.

Roberson needs to make the proverbial "sophomore leap," and show why he was nicknamed "The Beast." This kid is a major league talent with some nice offensive skills, and he's athletic as hell. He's going to get his chance to demonstrate that next year.

Ditto BJ. This is a player with a world of offensive potential / versatility, who could fill an important role as either a starter or as a key reserve. A sophomore leap would also provide us with another shooter to space the floor.

Chris McCullough--coming at you, kid. Can't afford for him to not be ready, a la Fab, Rak, Coleman. We need this kid to come in ready to be a contributor in some important capacity to help offset Jerami Grant's departure.

And Michael Gbinije, who was the jack of all trades / master of none this year--there will be an opportunity for him to contribute at the 3 next year. Need him to do a better job manning that back line next year.

The sky isn't falling. We have talent at forward. Unproven talent, yes, but talent for this to be a good team. It's going to be a fun year!
Enter my three sons. Like you, I'm thinking it's going to be a fun year. Less expectations, but a lot of growth from the young guys. Lessons learned along the way, but we have a ton of talent in BJ, Beast, Buss, Chino, Hammer, and Kaleb.
Let's go, young fellas, we believe in you!

The sky isn't falling. We have talent at forward. Unproven talent, yes, but talent for this to be a good team. It's going to be a fun year!
Exactly.

How soon many forget the numerous players who have made huge strides in their second year here, not to mention the many freshmen who have been immediate high-level contributors. I sometimes wonder if some fans actually watch the games.

I can't see G starting at SF if he is going to be our backup at both guard spots. If DC is healthy he will probably start.

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball 6m
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim with no comment on Grant decision. Told that statement from SU sports info is coming soon.

I don't get why JB doesn't say publicly he is happy with players leaving even if he is disappointed. I understand he is a straight shooter, but these kids have every right to go play professional basketball. I am not disappointed ever in a kid leaving early. It just comes off bad and now we will have PTI, ATH, and media people who hate JB talking about this. PTI will defend because he friends with them, but JB should always sound positive even if he disagrees in public.

Disagree, McC and Roberson will start. Jimmy needs G too much in the backcourt rotations to give him a starting nod upfront. However, I see G getting 30 MPG in total. How much of that is in the frontcourt may depend upon Joseph's progress. If Joseph can handle the job & get 32+ MPG then that will free up G for more frontcourt duty (in Jimmy's eyes). The only way G doesn't get signifucant minutes upfront is if Joseph is a total flop & G has to play 30+ at the point, which I do not forsee.

I think that would be ideal. But please keep in mind that we only return three experienced rotation players next year--Rak, Cooney, and Gbinije. It is very difficult for me to envision such an inexperienced team and not having JB err on the side of going with experienced players that he trusts.

For the record, I'd prefer the starters to either be Roberson / BJ or Roberson / McCullough.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim with no comment on Grant decision. Told that statement from SU sports info is coming soon.

I don't get why JB doesn't say publicly he is happy with players leaving even if he is disappointed. I understand he is a straight shooter, but these kids have every right to go play professional basketball. I am not disappointed ever in a kid leaving early. It just comes off bad and now we will have PTI, ATH, and media people who hate JB talking about this. PTI will defend because he friends with them, but JB should always sound positive even if he disagrees in public.

Probably because he advised him to stay, and he didn't listen to him.

MG is the only other guy who can play PG.
we'll see . . . I think we'll see at least an attempt to play Patterson as the third guard early in the season, backing up both positions for about 15 mpg

I think that would be ideal. But please keep in mind that we only return three experienced rotation players next year--Rak, Cooney, and Gbinije. It is very difficult for me to envision such an inexperienced team and not having JB err on the side of going with experienced players that he trusts.

For the record, I'd prefer the starters to either be Roberson / BJ or Roberson / McCullough.
exactly . . . playing G at forward gives JB an experienced player at each position - 1 guard, 1 forward, 1 center

Super high on Roberson for next year. You can see there is a great player in there, he just needs to play and not worry about being pulled.

No one to pull him for :)

Probably because he advised him to stay, and he didn't listen to him.
Jerami Grant is going to be a mid 1st round pick I don't get why JB feels he need to return. Grant is going to shoot jumpers while at Syracuse so he isn't going to improve the situation he needs to work on for the NBA so getting paid to develop makes more sense.

Hate to say it, but Jimmy will do the opposite and tighten the reigns with the "unproven" guys. Look for a lot of quick hooks w G (who looks really out of position at SF) getting too many frontcourt minutes as Jimmy will not let youngsters play through very many miscues.

Well, the one positive is that Boeheim will be forced to play unproven guys and hopefully develop them. Where is the offense going to come from? Just Cooney, lol? We will need to have bodies out there and hopefully they will be able to score.

Jerami Grant is going to be a mid 1st round pick I don't get why JB feels he need to return. Grant is going to shoot jumpers while at Syracuse so he isn't going to improve the situation he needs to work on for the NBA so getting paid to develop makes more sense.

He might be a mid round pick, he could also slide to the end of the first round. How do you know how Grant is going to play next year?

Tough to really be a straight shooter - if you aren't one and say the opposite privately what you do publicly. I'd do what JB is doing- keep my mouth shut, be disappointed, wish him luck personally but move on quickly. They have a right to play professional ball , he isn't against that right as he's proven with previous players who've left early so that's not an issue - he also has a right to be honest, disagree and move on too.

we'll see . . . I think we'll see at least an attempt to play Patterson as the third guard early in the season, backing up both positions for about 15 mpg

I agree--all three of the "Sons" are going to be positioned to play big minutes next year. The opportunity is there for each one of them to step up and emerge as contributors, and it is within each of their three respective capabilities to do so.

If there's one positive aspect to the early departures of Ennis / Grant, its that all of these youngsters are going to be pushed out of the nest and expected to fly--because the only way we can be successful next year is for this trio to rise to the occasion. Same goes for incoming frosh Joseph / McCullough.

Well, the one positive is that Boeheim will be forced to play unproven guys and hopefully develop them. Where is the offense going to come from? Just Cooney, lol? We will need to have bodies out there and hopefully they will be able to score.
I may be overly optimistic, but I think Patterson's willingness to shoot the basketball will help open up the spacing for Cooney. I'm not nearly as down on the talent for next year as most people seem to be today. I like the make up of them team, and I think our defense is going to be excellent again. Patterson and Joseph have the potential to be incredibly disruptive at the top of the zone.

He might be a mid round pick, he could also slide to the end of the first round. How do you know how Grant is going to play next year?
Jerami Grant will be a first round pick. His weakness is shooting. If he returned to Syracuse he wasnt going to be allowed to shoot jumpers without JB yelling at him. He shot less 3pt shots this year than he did as a FR. He needs to be able to hit 15-20 ft jumpers in the NBA. Grant coming back would be great for us fans and JB, but its clearly not in his best interest. I mean its obvious. JB's coaching style is great, but he and Grant have different agendas. Grant wants to get better for the NBA game and JB wants to win games. Grant made the smart decision I think at worst he goes to the Celtics 2nd 1st round pick at 18. Danny Ainge likes Grant's motor.

Jerami Grant will be a first round pick. His weakness is shooting. If he returned to Syracuse he wasnt going to be allowed to shoot jumpers without JB yelling at him. He shot less 3pt shots this year than he did as a FR. He needs to be able to hit 15-20 ft jumpers in the NBA. Grant coming back would be great for us fans and JB, but its clearly not in his best interest. I mean its obvious. JB's coaching style is great, but he and Grant have different agendas. Grant wants to get better for the NBA game and JB wants to win games. Grant made the smart decision I think at worst he goes to the Celtics 2nd 1st round pick at 18. Danny Ainge likes Grant's motor.

So he should go because he is a first round pick? Is the bar that low these days. I bet Grant will be working on his Jumper a lot this offseason, Jb would be pleased for him to be able to knock down some jumpers next year. Jb doesn't have a different agenda, Grant is just being stubborn and not listening to the advice given to him.

If JG goes higher than #25 I will be very surprised. IMO he will be sitting there on draft night night sweating bullets as the final few golden slots get called. Has no position. Not a 4, not a 3. I hope he gets the $$$ but he's taking a big risk.

I may be overly optimistic, but I think Patterson's willingness to shoot the basketball will help open up the spacing for Cooney. I'm not nearly as down on the talent for next year as most people seem to be today. I like the make up of them team, and I think our defense is going to be excellent again. Patterson and Joseph have the potential to be incredibly disruptive at the top of the zone.

We'll see. Could be. Hard to say looking from afar. Safe to say that Cooney, Gbinije, and Patterson need to get better at putting it on the floor or else the offense will be even more anoemic next season. Roberson/McCullough have the potential to be the most skilled forwards playing together since Melo/Warrick.

And Michael Gbinije, who was the jack of all trades / master of none this year--there will be an opportunity for him to contribute at the 3 next year. Need him to do a better job manning that back line next year.
I do think that now with JG's departure silentG will have to play almost excessively at the 3 (just don't think a 3-man forward pool of Roberson,McC,BJ will cut it)... meaning the staff has got to find a juco/xfer backup PG or get Buss up to snuff in a hurry

with all the young unproven talent we got, hopefully this is the year jb just lets them play run and gun ball and have some fun.

He had to do it in 02-03 and that turned out pretty well

So he should go because he is a first round pick? Is the bar that low these days. I bet Grant will be working on his Jumper a lot this offseason, Jb would be pleased for him to be able to knock down some jumpers next year. Jb doesn't have a different agenda, Grant is just being stubborn and not listening to the advice given to him.

Stubborn LOL

As far as the basketball team's best interests are concerned, I'll be happy to take Roberson, B.J., and the freshman over C.J. and Grant.

Roberson's the best of the group, B.J. will likely be the best shooter and most versatile player once he gets comfortable with consistent minutes (right away, I hope), and McCullough…well, let's not get ahead of ourselves with freshman. But he's tall and highly regarded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom