We are really, really bad. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We are really, really bad.

The last three years jb has been slow to decide who is going to score off the dribble. Heck two years ago we had no one kaleb maybe.
Last year Malachi was the only guy unto gbinije put up two losses at unc and miami, where he did no dribbling.

No surprise seeing it this year, but it rounds itself out. Its going to have to be white, frank and battle to finish those drives against a m2m we saw tonight.

Lydon needs to attack from where Roberson was in the high post last year, not from the three point line.

Need to have big wins this year.

Loads of talent - have you seen Lydon dribble a basket ball? have you seen Howard try to get to the rim? or finish??????

Are you seriously suggesting Tyler Lyndon is untalented? A guy who had 10 PPG, 6 RPG and 2 BPG as a freshman?

How about the guy who scored 17 PPG in the B1G last year, is he untalented? Or the guy who had 13 PPG and 4 APG in the Mountain West, is he untalented?

I get being frustrated but some of you are spouting total nonsense.

Well...

We look like a bag of parts out there. Lydon needs to want to shoot, too many guys passing up shots, except for White (yeesh he jacks them).

I want to see last year's Lydon. He needs to want it more, catch and shoot, they'll fall.

And collectively way to much pump faking dribbling into traffic. No bueno.

Robey had the worst drive maybe in the history of SU hoops, kid it totally lost and for whatever reason not bought into his role. Shame.

And again - scheduling these games is just stupid. Wisconsin we have to do, we have to make one NYC appearance I guess, but 3 jilted lovers in a 2 week stretch or whatever doesn't make a lot of sense considering we play in the ACC.

Well...

We look like a bag of parts out there. Lydon needs to want to shoot, too many guys passing up shots, except for White (yeesh he jacks them).

I want to see last year's Lydon. He needs to want it more, catch and shoot, they'll fall.

And collectively way to much pump faking dribbling into traffic. No bueno.

Robey had the worst drive maybe in the history of SU hoops, kid it totally lost and for whatever reason not bought into his role. Shame.

And again - scheduling these games is just stupid. Wisconsin we have to do, we have to make one NYC appearance I guess, but 3 jilted lovers in a 2 week stretch or whatever doesn't make a lot of sense considering we play in the ACC.
Robey was ok other than tha silly thing.

Are you seriously suggesting Tyler Lyndon is untalented? A guy who had 10 PPG, 6 RPG and 2 BPG as a freshman?

How about the guy who scored 17 PPG in the B1G last year, is he untalented? Or the guy who had 13 PPG and 4 APG in the Mountain West, is he untalented?

I get being frustrated but some of you are spouting total nonsense.

I'm with you here. Lydon, White, Battle, Gillon, TT, and FH (assist, dribble penetration, not scoring) are all skilled offensive players. Not NBA skilled, but certainly skilled relative to college. But, the whole has not equalled the sum of the parts.

Part of the problem is this is not a particularly athletic team, IMO. Robby and Battle are very athletic; FH, TT and Gillon would be on the next tier, and the rest of the team is... something less. So, when we play play fast, athletic teams, some of the offensive skill sets are neutralized.

Another issue - we have not yet seen a player with that confident, aggressive, give me the ball, "alpha" mentality. DC showed flashes of that tonight, and White is willing to keep shooting. Unfortunately, we seem to have more passive types (so far) who seem to lack confidence.

There is a lot of ball left to play, and JB has found a way many times before with less talent.

I wouldn't feel any better even if we had pulled this game out in the end.
Exactly. Outcome didn't matter (unless we kept that lead we built by like... guarding their only threats at the 3 point line).

IMO we have grossly over-rated the talent of many of these players.

I don't think so, really. I just think that 5 of them didn't play here last year, including the go-to scorer and the alternate point guard, and the other scoring guard.

I think JB needs to cultivate the team vibe a bit more and stop ripping these kids so hard.

The worst talented team in the Boeheim era. So far.

Strongly disagree. Objectively, eight out of nine players on this roster were ESPN Top 100 players.

We had teams where guys like Billy Celuck, James Thues, Jeremy McNeil, Kaleb Joseph, Josh Wright and Louie McCrosky were expected to play big roles on the team. We have WAY more talent than those teams that Louis Orr and BernieFine recruited in the late 90s, early 200os, before Mike and Troy Weaver took over the recruiting. Those teams were AWFUL. And yet we still made the tournament pretty much every year. Who would believe that a team as talented as the Donte Greene, Jonny Flynn, Paul Harris, Eric Devendorf team could wind up in the NIT?

I'm with you here. Lydon, White, Battle, Gillon, TT, and FH (assist, dribble penetration, not scoring) are all skilled offensive players. Not NBA skilled, but certainly skilled relative to college. But, the whole has not equalled the sum of the parts.

Part of the problem is this is not a particularly athletic team, IMO. Robby and Battle are very athletic; FH, TT and Gillon would be on the next tier, and the rest of the team is... something less. So, when we play play fast, athletic teams, some of the offensive skill sets are neutralized.

Another issue - we have not yet seen a player with that confident, aggressive, give me the ball, "alpha" mentality. DC showed flashes of that tonight, and White is willing to keep shooting. Unfortunately, we seem to have more passive types (so far) who seem to lack confidence.

There is a lot of ball left to play, and JB has found a way many times before with less talent.
white is a catch and shoot player. he is not a skilled offensive player, not in the sense of a high major like top ten type team type of player. they need to dial him back, figure out if he can play defense or dribble at all, or else bench him.

Strongly disagree. Objectively, eight out of nine players on this roster were ESPN Top 100 players.

We had teams where guys like Billy Celuck, James Thues, Jeremy McNeil, Kaleb Joseph, Josh Wright and Louie McCrosky were expected to play big roles on the team. We have WAY more talent than those teams that Louis Orr and BernieFine recruited in the late 90s, early 200os, before Mike and Troy Weaver took over the recruiting. Those teams were AWFUL. And yet we still made the tournament pretty much every year. Who would believe that a team as talented as the Donte Greene, Jonny Flynn, Paul Harris, Eric Devendorf team could wind up in the NIT?
I think you're agreeing with me.

white is a catch and shoot player. he is not a skilled offensive player, not in the sense of a high major like top ten type team type of player. they need to dial him back, figure out if he can play defense or dribble at all, or else bench him.

Bench him? LOL. For who?

Team has plenty of talent. Agree. Coaching

This team may have players with potential talent.
But they're certainly not showing it.

It is hard to believe that just about two weeks ago there was so much optimism.
There was talk of this being a Final 4 caliber team.
Final Four!!!!
People ripped Doug Gottlieb for having the nerve to wonder about the team and ask who the Orange had played...who have they beaten?
Turns out he was right on target.

Calling this team dreadful right now gives them too much credit.

who can score off the dribble?

you lose dion and scoop who do you return?
a soph mcw and a senior triche and fair who were ready out of the gate.

you lose a soph mcw senior triche who do you return that can score off the dribble
cj ennis and grant who were ready out of the gate

you lose cj ennis and grant what do you return
jr gbinije cooney patterson freshmen Kaleb. mccullough for 1/3 of the season. to score off the dribble.

you lose mccullough and rak what do you return.
gbinije at point and malachi who are not ready to attack the paint early on.

you lose gbinije and malachi what do you return.
white he doesn't jump high enough to finish around the rim, gillon whos speedy but only 5'10 around the rim a sophmore howard and battle(barely played yet) dajuan inside.

see the trend.
we lose all our dribble penetration year after year such is the pains of college basketball. I get it abysmal night shooting from outside tonight, and we don't finish inside to compensate.

JB runs a system where the more guys who can score one on one the better, but that is hard to rebuild when they go every year and new guys have to grow into that position. Especially freshmen and sophmores, since we lose so many freshmen and sophmores every year.

Give it time

Last edited:
who can score off the dribble.
you lose dion and scoop who do you return
a soph mcw and a senior triche who were ready out of the gate.

you lose a soph mcw senior triche who do you return
cj ennis and grant who were ready out of the gate

you lose cj ennis and grant what do you return
jr gbinije at sf cooney patterson freshmen Kaleb. mccullough for 1/3 of the season.

you lose mccullough and rak what do you return.
gbinije at point and malachi who are not ready to attack the paint early on.

you lose gbinije and malachi what do you return.
white he doesn't jump high enough to finish around the rim, gillon whos speedy but only 5'10 around the rim a sophmore howard and battle(barely played yet) dajuan inside.

see the trend.
we lose all our dribble penetration year after year. I get it abysmal night shooting from outside tonight, and we don't finish inside to compensate.

JB runs a system where the more guys who can score one on one the better, but that is hard to rebuild when they go every year and new guys have to grow into that position.

Give it time.
I blame the administrative assistants.

JB has in fact done that - making it imperative he does it this year with more tools in his toolbox.

I giggled for the first time tonight.

Don't worry, the regulars will ensure everyone else how great the incoming guys are and how they're possible one and doners.

Hell, I've seen posts saying "I hope Moyer stays for more than a year, he plays the flute, so he's smart and a good kid from a good family who bleeds Orange, so maybe he wont be a one and done.
"

There was talk on this very board before the season that Chukwu has a chance for the league after this year.

When was our last dunk?
Against actual comp (SCar, Wisky, UConn) I honestly don't recall a single one. I recall Gillon of all ppl dunking on a wide open fast break off a turnover. It was either 1st half vs SCar or the cupcake before them.

There was talk he could be the next Rudy Gobert. There's actually a dedicated thread about it.

Brimah is like 10 times better and that isn't saying much. Brimah does impact the game defensively as we saw tonight. He is much more physically developed than Chukwu. Sigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom