12-6 (5-2) does not suck | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

12-6 (5-2) does not suck

There was a S16 run in 2021, but it was just camouflage on another bad regular season, something we've had since 2014-2015, 9 consecutive seasons.
For every unexpected tourney “run” I can cite you two top 4 seed flame outs

We are a middling power 5 team that makes a little run every few years, but lately misses the tourney more often than we do anything significant in it. If this is what we want to be as a fan base, we are fine. If its not, we are underperforming as a program.

We are a middling power 5 team that makes a little run every few years, but lately misses the tourney more often than we do anything significant in it. If this is what we want to be as a fan base, we are fine. If its not, we are underperforming as a program.
Emphasis on “little run”. Sweet 16s are fun, but I mean it’s 2 wins. I’m happy we got those 2 wins, but there are a lot of mid and low majors who have made sweet 16 runs in the past few years. It’s not some Herculean accomplishment.

It’s nice.

We used to argue about whether it's better to have a mediocre, (by our standards) regular season with a strong post season run or a great regular season followed by March Sadness. I think the votes are in and we'd rather have four months of excellence followed by heart break than four months of mediocrity followed by a week or two of good feelings. Of course, what we really want is... :cool:

We used to argue about whether it's better to have a mediocre, (by our standards) regular season with a strong post season run or a great regular season followed by March Sadness. I think the votes are in and we'd rather have four months of excellence followed by heart break than four months of mediocrity followed by a week or two of good feelings. Of course, what we really want is... :cool:

And what we really have is...

It’s always been a false choice. The odds are that teams who have very good regular seasons do better in the tourney. Sure some flameout, but there’s also a couple dozen teams who have “very good regular seasons” and only half of them, at best, even make the sweet 16. It’s a numbers game.

You can’t build a program on being .500 in conference and hoping to get hot in the tourney. It’s not a plan.

It’s always been a false choice. The odds are that teams who have very good regular seasons do better in the tourney. Sure some flameout, but there’s also a couple dozen teams who have “very good regular seasons” and only half of them, at best, even make the sweet 16. It’s a numbers game.

You can’t build a program on being .500 in conference and hoping to get hot in the tourney. It’s not a plan.
Exactly! You don't have to choose one or the other. There are some exceptions, but history shows the teams with the higher seeds from having a good regular season then do pretty well in the tournament. Some people act like 2016 is the rule instead of the exception.

It’s always been weird to me. If you sneak in and make the S16 sure, it’s nice. If you are a top seed and only make the S16, maybe some disappointment. But one scenario you won a lot more games and both seasons finished at the same point. Seems pretty obvious which is preferred.

Exactly! You don't have to choose one or the other. There are some exceptions, but history shows the teams with the higher seeds from having a good regular season then do pretty well in the tournament. Some people act like 2016 is the rule instead of the exception.

And yet, we almost have. We've had 6 Final Four teams and 5 teams that were ranked #1 at some point during the season. That's 11 different teams. We've got just the one title because we've sent the wrong teams to the Final Four.

And yet, we almost have. We've had 6 Final Four teams and 5 teams that were ranked #1 at some point during the season. That's 11 different teams. We've got just the one title because we've sent the wrong teams to the Final Four.
Our final four teams have been seeded 2,4, 3, 4 and 10 since the expansion to 64. One of those things is not like the other. Yes not all top seeds make it, but odds are better if you are a better seed, That shouldn't be a controversial take.

Our final four teams have been seeded 2,4, 3, 4 and 10 since the expansion to 64. One of those things is not like the other. Yes not all top seeds make it, but odds are better if you are a better seed, That shouldn't be a controversial take.

And the '75 team was not like the Louie and Bouie teams, either, but they are the ones who made it.

Your statement is more logical than our record.

I'll let you know.

My "other" team now is Arizona since my son goes there and it basically fits that other description to a T.

Emphasis on “little run”. Sweet 16s are fun, but I mean it’s 2 wins. I’m happy we got those 2 wins, but there are a lot of mid and low majors who have made sweet 16 runs in the past few years. It’s not some Herculean accomplishment.

It’s nice.
Unless you get such a bad seed that it takes THREE wins to make the sweet 16 like we did in 2018!

I’ll take 1988, 1991, 2005, etc. seasons on the whole over 2018 or 2021. Legitimately good and respected with great games and wins throughout the year versus being looked at as a borderline scrub team that got lucky for a game.

We afforded him the going away present of coaching his sons even even one of them was probably not worthy of the time he received . Why ? Because coach had earned it for a lifetime of success and service. Now that debt is paid. Time to go. It’s starting to get comedic
I just don't think this comedic. Forgettable, run of the mill, ordinary, boring, sure

Sadly, 1-3 it is.

And likely 1-4 come Monday.

Hope I’m wrong and we pull the upset, but staring at 13-10, 6-6. Not even close to the bubble.
Tourney dream died against Colgate.

That 10 seed team also didn’t have to face the single digit seed in the next round either.

I’d LOVE to start having top 4 seed flameouts. Give me ALL the top 4 seed flameouts! Would beat the hell out of our current predicament.
You’re too young to remember the glorious flameouts against powerhouses Navy, Richmond , Rhode Island , Umass (pre Camby).

You’re too young to remember the glorious flameouts against powerhouses Navy, Richmond , Rhode Island , Umass (pre Camby).
I remember Richmond and UMass - we were a 6 seed against UMass who was the 3 seed. Tough loss, doesn’t count as a flameout. Id kill to have a season like that and a tourney game like that, again.

I remember Richmond and UMass - we were a 6 seed against UMass who was the 3 seed. Tough loss, doesn’t count as a flameout. Id kill to have a season like that and a tourney game like that, again.
For some reason I remember us being the favorite and having to play essentially a true road game which didn’t seem fair .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom