15 - 10 with 6 games to go | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

15 - 10 with 6 games to go

I think the tournament is a pipe dream at this point. As someone else pointed out, 14 of their 15 wins are against Quads 3 and 4. That won’t get it done.

That being said, they did quite a bit to help their conf tourney seeding last night. They almost certainly will avoid the first round game now. Also, they still play the 3 teams directly ahead of them in the standings, all at home.

Finishing in the 5-7 range will have them play one of the conference bottom feeders in round 2 (hopefully avoid V-Tech). Win that and they’re in the quarters with some momentum, and with the ACC being down there’s not one team the Orange can’t beat.

...need only 1 more win to guarantee a non-losing season.

I know, I know -- that's setting the bar low, as a function of historical program performance. But I don't want to have another losing season.

Team has gotten a LOT better over the course of the season. We struggled to win close games earlier, and now have won back-to-back games where we closed exceptionally strongly, and put both teams away on the road.

I think we're squarely in the NIT. NCAA is a longshot at this point. Need to go 3-3 AT LEAST over the remaining games just to stay in contention, and then win 2 in the ACCT. And that still might not be enough. But at least we'd have a puncher's chance.

As stated, the team has gotten a lot better from the beginning of the year.
Just win them all. Lol. Or 5 out of 6. Unlikely but you ever know!

I think the tournament is a pipe dream at this point. As someone else pointed out, 14 of their 15 wins are against Quads 3 and 4. That won’t get it done.

That being said, they did quite a bit to help their conf tourney seeding last night. They almost certainly will avoid the first round game now. Also, they still play the 3 teams directly ahead of them in the standings, all at home.

Finishing in the 5-7 range will have them play one of the conference bottom feeders in round 2 (hopefully avoid V-Tech). Win that and they’re in the quarters with some momentum, and with the ACC being down there’s not one team the Orange can’t beat.
We'll see if I'm wrong, but I think we are going to have a REAL tough time w/ Wake.

i like the way basketball is played now. five out always wants to go inside to cutters, the spacing makes it hard to help, it's like the air raid in football. opens up space for fast guys. i just think it would be a little better if threes weren't worth so much relative to twos

if we sat down to watch an ordinary college basketball game from 1983, it would look like the dark ages.

And it does having watched a few old games from that era over the holidays.

We'll see if I'm wrong, but I think we are going to have a REAL tough time w/ Wake.

Yep. They are just a tough matchup for us. Glad we have them in the Dome at least.

I shocked at all the optimism I’m seeing here.
While I will admit the team has improved from early December I still fail to see any real reason to throw confetti at this point. As Bill Purcell said “…you are what your record says you are..”The NCAA Tournament is a joke of a goal, the NIT we used to laugh at in days gone bye. Our coach qualified for social security about 14 years ago.
At the risk of receiving incoming I’ll say we are still on a downward trend line, and I for one am not ready to throw any confetti.

While I will admit the team has improved from early December I still fail to see any real reason to throw confetti at this point. As Bill Purcell said “…you are what your record says you are..”The NCAA Tournament is a joke of a goal, the NIT we used to laugh at in days gone bye. Our coach qualified for social security about 14 years ago.
At the risk of receiving incoming I’ll say we are still on a downward trend line, and I for one am not ready to throw any confetti.

You are confusing confetti with just having something positive to come out of this season. Not seeing anyone over the moon about things right now.

If the standings hold relatively steady. The 6 seed could be a pretty good path to the finals

They changed the shot clock in that time, maybe? I can't remember when they did that. If anything more possessions would amplify the advantage better teams have per play or per possession

I think the problem with basketball is we started with 2 points. a three point shot really shouldn't be worth 50% more. it would be better if a 2 point shot were worth three and a 3 point shot were worth four but that breaks our rules of thumb about how well individual players score.

it takes a long time to get smart and realize that 22 footers worth 3 are better than 17 footers worth 2. Eventually basketball got there.
Free throws worth 2 points then?

Not sure which was more confusing, the confetti (with the double down) or Bill Purcell?

Fts are almost always shot in pairs of 2.. so 1-3-4 would actually make sense the way the game is being played.. it would devalue the 3pt shot and would value passing more.

I think we would have to go 5-1 to end the regular season and then make the ACCT final game to have even a small chance at a bid. I think we have way way too many bad losses on our resume and not enough quality wins to have a chance.

When I ask what is our best win? It is a struggle to come up with something
When I ask what is our worst loss? We can starting naming team after team and game after game
I think ACC will be allotted six to eight bids in the end. I think VA Tech is done after the loss to BC. I also think NC State will close the season badly. The last three teams to compete for the final bid(s) are Wake Forest, UNC and Syracuse. If ACC gets only six bids, all three schools are out.

ACC gets seven: three last schools compete for one bid.

ACC gets eight: three last schools compete for two bids.

I give the likelihood: six (20%), seven (75%), eight (5%).

We have already lost to UNC, so we have to do everything we could to win over Wake Forest. Also we need to win as many games as possible to stay ahead of Wake and UNC in the number of wins.

I think ACC will be allotted six to eight bids in the end. I think VA Tech is done after the loss to BC. I also think NC State will close the season badly. The last three teams to compete for the final bid(s) are Wake Forest, UNC and Syracuse. If ACC gets only six bids, all three schools are out.

ACC gets seven: three last schools compete for one bid.

ACC gets eight: three last schools compete for two bids.

I give the likelihood: six (20%), seven (75%), eight (5%).

We have already lost to UNC, so we have to do everything we could to win over Wake Forest. Also we need to win as many games as possible to stay ahead of Wake and UNC in the number of wins.
We already know the NCAA loves the Tarheels.

We already know the NCAA loves the Tarheels.
So if we are ahead of Tar Heels, it will force NCAA's hand and give ACC eight bids. Need some schools to lose though, other NCAA darlings Florida, Michigan, Ohio State. Not that NCAA loves these schools that much, it is just NCAA loves the populated area so TV ratings will be higher.

Fts are almost always shot in pairs of 2.. so 1-3-4 would actually make sense the way the game is being played.. it would devalue the 3pt shot and would value passing more.
But then you would foul all the time because fouls would only be a max of 2 points if made. Obviously, only soo many fouls to go around. But at end of games teams would foul all the time because you would only be able to get 2 points total. That why it has to be 2 points. Or you make the first shot worth 2 and second shot worth 1. To equal your 3 points you get for a regular basket.

dont they already do this to stop 3 pts now.. go 2 shots and the ball after foul X. We should never be a spot where fouling is a play anyway. be creative go to hockey rules once you get X fouls the D has to sit for 20 secs as well.

the easiest answer is move the 3 pts line back even more or get rid of it.. no 3 pt line no fouling at all. we dont need it anymore guys have learned to shoot beyond 15 ft now

You get one ft. It's either worth three or four depending on the shot you were fouled in.

What waste of time to take or three shots when you fouled taking one shot

You get one ft. It's either worth three or four depending on the shot you were fouled in.

What waste of time to take or three shots when you fouled taking one shot
this bring back foul shooting even more as a thing.. lets bring back the old rules.. get the ball back after a foul. jump balls after every score.. and only 1 person can run on both sides of the court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom