Class of 2018 - SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH) | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As jr said in the post after yours, I think people kind of just forgot how impressive his HS tape was when we signed him. I'm very excited to see what he does this season.

I'm not sold entirely on his athleticism. Length? yes. Skill-wise that vid along with some the reports certainly indicate he has some tools and has added some polish as well. And generally he should be fine holding his own athletically at this level.

But in terms of athleticism vs other high end ACC talent? He may have it but I don't see a lot of lateral quickness or explosion. He's running the floor well and can shoot and finish -- that makes him intriguing. I think he'll be fine but I don't know that, from the tapes, I'd see the type of athleticism bazely shows (driving and dishing, creating quick separating and dropping a 3 with a guy on his hip, driving past multiple defenders and finishing, etc.)

I don't pretend to be a scout at all and if Moyer -- who I expect to be a very solid piece -- turns out to be more than that, I'd be absolutely thrilled. But just based on watching his clips, I don't think they scream 'elite acc athlete' to me.

Bazley has a chance to be the best all around forward we've had here since Melo. I don't say that lightly. He has the physical gifts, he has the handle and vision, he has timing and want to on defense, his shot is smooth, he finishes with both hands and he has the belief in himself which is necessary. All he really needs to do is keep working on his game and get stronger over time. At the rate he has been improving this last 6 months he could very well wind up a top 3 kid in his class. Adding him Carey and Buddy to a talented group of return guys who got experience this year should be something special.

I'm not sold entirely on his athleticism. Length? yes. Skill-wise that vid along with some the reports certainly indicate he has some tools and has added some polish as well. And generally he should be fine holding his own athletically at this level.

But in terms of athleticism vs other high end ACC talent? He may have it but I don't see a lot of lateral quickness or explosion. He's running the floor well and can shoot and finish -- that makes him intriguing. I think he'll be fine but I don't know that, from the tapes, I'd see the type of athleticism bazely shows (driving and dishing, creating quick separating and dropping a 3 with a guy on his hip, driving past multiple defenders and finishing, etc.)

I don't pretend to be a scout at all and if Moyer -- who I expect to be a very solid piece -- turns out to be more than that, I'd be absolutely thrilled. But just based on watching his clips, I don't think they scream 'elite acc athlete' to me.

I'm a big time Moyer advocate but I think this is fair. He's probably not an elite ACC athlete. However, he has an elite hoops IQ, heart and fire. His athleticism is more than enough too to make him successful.

Bazley has a chance to be the best all around forward we've had here since Melo. I don't say that lightly. He has the physical gifts, he has the handle and vision, he has timing and want to on defense, his shot is smooth, he finishes with both hands and he has the belief in himself which is necessary. All he really needs to do is keep working on his game and get stronger over time. At the rate he has been improving this last 6 months he could very well wind up a top 3 kid in his class. Adding him Carey and Buddy to a talented group of return guys who got experience this year should be something special.

One scary thing: he told me he didn't even start watching college ball until 8th grade. That's amazing. Shows how quickly he's emerged and how fast his upward trajectory has been.

For those that have snapchat...they seem to post a decent amount of stuff on there, just waiting to see our guy bazley!

I'm a big time Moyer advocate but I think this is fair. He's probably not an elite ACC athlete. However, he has an elite hoops IQ, heart and fire. His athleticism is more than enough too to make him successful.

Agreed -- and elite athleticism doesn't necessarily guarantee anything either. Need that effort and instinct either way. So I love a guy who has the latter two qualities and Moyer looks athletic enough to handle himself. Definitely not trying hammer the kid.

He has a rocket strapped to his back. Might as well rank him top 5 in the class now. It's amazing how quickly he's getting better and everyone is noticing it. It's hard not to.

Looking at his pics, his legs have gotten stronger. He just needs to add some upper body muscle and it'll be beyond frightening. Ohio State has to be devasted. Now let's please get pen to ink in November.

He will be top5 next time the rankings update.

Somewhere maybe but probably not by everyone. Royvuls isn't likely to move him from 14 into the top 5, for example.

Lol, yeah you can't expect all of them to do their jobs dilligently.
More like: not all of them will swallow their pride and admit they've underranked him. :p

More like: not all of them will swallow their pride and admit they've underranked him. :p

Agree but isn't this a royvuls article and they admit to having him ranked too low based off his morning performance. Each of these sites and recruiting gurus never seem to be on the same page but I think it's safe to say that bazley will continue to climb the rankings in all of them before it's all said and done. He will end up with all of the accolades to go along with it. Ohio player of the year, McD game, Jordan brand, etc etc. We got the real deal coming to cuse next year!

Agree but isn't this a royvuls article and they admit to having him ranked too low based off his morning performance. Each of these sites and recruiting gurus never seem to be on the same page but I think it's safe to say that bazley will continue to climb the rankings in all of them before it's all said and done. He will end up with all of the accolades to go along with it. Ohio player of the year, McD game, Jordan brand, etc etc. We got the real deal coming to cuse next year!

Yeah, I read the article. I meant that they might not show how off they are with #14 by moving him into the top 5 right away. My guess is they push him up to 8 or 9. Plus, "not all of them." At least Royvuls and Bossi said 14 is too low. Royvuls admitted they were wrong, unlike Saint Roy at UNC.

Agreed -- and elite athleticism doesn't necessarily guarantee anything either. Need that effort and instinct either way. So I love a guy who has the latter two qualities and Moyer looks athletic enough to handle himself. Definitely not trying hammer the kid.
Josh Pace wasnt overly athletic. Lawrence Moten as well. Moyer loves yo attack the hoop is super aggressive and plays with a huge motor. He is going to be a solid player for us.

Josh Pace wasnt overly athletic. Lawrence Moten as well. Moyer loves yo attack the hoop is super aggressive and plays with a huge motor. He is going to be a solid player for us.

I don’t know about that. Neither was an explosive leaper, but I thought both were very athletic.

I think sometimes people focus just on jumping when talking about athleticism.

Both Pace and Moten had a smoothness and coordination to them. Moten was a HS football stud. Not sure if Pace ever played football but I could’ve seen him being a great WR too.

I don’t know about that. Neither was an explosive leaper, but I thought both were very athletic.

I think sometimes people focus just on jumping when talking about athleticism.

Both Pace and Moten had a smoothness and coordination to them. Moten was a HS football stud. Not sure if Pace ever played football but I could’ve seen him being a great WR too.

Moten was silky smooth.

Livestream of USA mini camp going on right now for anyone interested check out usa basketball on fb, ig, Twitter etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom