2018 Yankees Thread... | Page 110 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Yankees Thread...

In hindsight, especially after two concussions, yeah, a Cole for Frazier deal would seem to make a lot of sense. But I don't know if anyone saw Cole's numbers this year coming. So much better than the last 2 years, and considerably better than his best year, in 2015. Doesn't usually happen when you transition from NL to AL.

I'd like the Yankees to look at Michael Brantley for LF. Would be nice to see a .300 hitter who doesn't strike out much in the lineup. The HR dependence wouldn't be such a bad thing if the players were just more disciplined to swing at strikes. Stanton was embarrassing, Sanchez chases too much.

Two things stuck out most to be about the Sox in the series. Their pitchers attacked the strike zone. Their hitters only swung at pitches in the strike zone. It was a huge difference.
Frrazier alone wasn't going to get Cole.

How long was Torres out? And that was to a non-throwing arm. Didi is a free agent after 2019 right?

This might end the Machado or Harper debate.

Didi is at least 4 months behind.

That seems ambitious considering it's his throwing arm but hope it's the case. Don't want you Yankees fans to have any excuses next year.

Frrazier alone wasn't going to get Cole.
And I doubt Cole would be the pitcher that he was this season if he was a Yankee. The Astros are definitely doing something right with their pitching. They took on Verlander, Morton, and Cole with ho-hum numbers for relative peanuts and turned them into (or back into) CY candidates. The Yankees took on Sonny Gray and turned him into a non-tender candidate and can't fix Severino.

And I doubt Cole would be the pitcher that he was this season if he was a Yankee. The Astros are definitely doing something right with their pitching. They took on Verlander, Morton, and Cole with ho-hum numbers for relative peanuts and turned them into (or back into) CY candidates. The Yankees took on Sonny Gray and turned him into a non-tender candidate and can't fix Severino.
The yanks need a new pitching coach

Sign Machado to play SS/3B, try out Andujar in LF if Frazier can't hack it. Convert Stanton to 1B. Inquire with D' Backs for Goldschmidt otherwise. I would love to have an above-average lefty bat, especially now with Didi out, but it's hard to reconcile an available one with the Yankees available positions.

Sign Machado to play SS/3B, try out Andujar in LF if Frazier can't hack it. Convert Stanton to 1B. Inquire with D' Backs for Goldschmidt otherwise. I would love to have an above-average lefty bat, especially now with Didi out, but it's hard to reconcile an available one with the Yankees available positions.
Offer Stanton to the Dodgers for Bellinger.
The Dodgers would be getting their star and they have Muncy to play 1b.
Goldschmidt isn’t getting dealt by the Dbacks. That would be them giving up.

I really hope the Yankees pass on Machado. He is only 26 and is a stud.

Every pitcher who goes to Houston seems to add 3-4 mph to their pitches it's amazing - sarcasm font. Something is going on there.

With Didi being hurt, the chances that Machado signs with the yanks just went way up. he doesn't pitch last I looked.

The Dodgers couldn't be that dumb. Bellinger is just 23 and he is hitting in a pitchers park. Bellinger would destroy Yankee stadium

With Didi being hurt, the chances that Machado signs with the yanks just went way up. he doesn't pitch last I looked.
No need for another RIght handed bat.

If they move Stanton, then maybe.

I’d move Torres to short, resign Walker and sign Met Net Negative Murphy and let him split time with Walker at 2nd and Voit at 1st.

Then when Didi comes back in late July or August, he can back up at both middle infield spots and we can decide what to do in 2020 after the parade.

How are they so good at developing a pen, but kind of mess with some starters?

Pitching is weird.
Relievers are volatile and erratic, which makes the greats like Rivera so special. Think of all the lights out closers who string together a couple of really good seasons and writers start to talk about them like Mo only for them to disappear a few seasons later. The Yankees pen is largely made up of Robertson, Chapman, and Betances - three guys who would be a closer for any other team. Other than those three, they acquired Britton who is no longer the pitcher he was for a few seasons in Baltimore. Chad Green will probably a be an afterthought in two seasons. Kahnle was great, briefly. Same with Holder.

Billy Beane once said something to the effect of the easiest way to turn a mediocre pitcher into a valuable commodity was to give them the closer's role. Then he would trade them before the shine wore off.

I’d move Torres to short, resign Walker and sign Met Net Negative Murphy and let him split time with Walker at 2nd and Voit at 1st.

Then when Didi comes back in late July or August, he can back up at both middle infield spots and we can decide what to do in 2020 after the parade.
Why would you wait for the Red Sox second parade in a row to make decisions? Doesn't make sense. Is this parade you speak of in relation to the Giants drive for 5?

I really hope Jed Lowrie and Manny Machado aren’t Yankees targets.
Murphy is a good fit as well.

I really hope Jed Lowrie and Manny Machado aren’t Yankees targets.
Murphy is a good fit as well.
The yanks are going to improve their team on paper. There is no question about that. They got under the luxury gap for a reason. The Sox will be greatly limited on what they can do because of money. The Sox have a lot of dead money on the books.

The yanks are going to improve their team on paper. There is no question about that. They got under the luxury gap for a reason. The Sox will be greatly limited on what they can do because of money. The Sox have a lot of dead money on the books.

Can we talk you into taking Ellsbury back?

Totally agree on obtaining stronger starters. Why has Bryce Harper only been mentioned once in the FA section of this thread?

Totally agree on obtaining stronger starters. Why has Bryce Harper only been mentioned once in the FA section of this thread?
As I live and breathe I pray that the Yanks sign Harper. But they are too smart for that.

“This should have happened in ‘04, but it didn’t” -Alex Rodriguez

33.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom