2019 Coaching Carousel | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Coaching Carousel

Well the BG coach who followed him Mike Jinks, lasted 3 seasons and went 7-24. So...

So what are your thoughts jr4750.....is Jinks a bad coach or Dino leave him with a bare cupboard or both?

After Dino left ELU and Bowling Green how did his recruits do for the next coach? Not asking to say you're wrong or right but didn't both of those teams struggle after Dino left with 2 years of his guys? Granted new staff but Dino when he went there also was a new staff and won.
They did struggle. With his recruits. Im on record that i hope Dino stays for the rest of his coaching career. My point is that because he has never been a head coach for this long at one school that this is the first time he will be playing with a team he recruited.

So what are your thoughts jr4750...is Jinks a bad coach or Dino leave him with a bare cupboard or both?
Honestly, I truly don't know. I didn't watch BG before or after Dino. I will say, given his fairly unique system, it is likely difficult for someone to come in and keep the train moving unless they are a product of it themselves. They (Jinks) probably needed several years to redevelop the roster. He came from TTU and the air raid offense, so maybe that played a role. Dino was also only there for two years. He hadn't fully stocked the roster. The team he left still had players from the previous regime. Probably a combo of a lot of things and Jinks being a bad HC.

Last edited:
They did struggle. With his recruits. Im on record that i hope Dino stays for the rest of his coaching career. My point is that because he has never been a head coach for this long at one school that this is the first time he will be playing with a team he recruited.

Valid point. I know you like Dino as do I and it will be interesting to see how he and his staff does recruiting in the big picture.

I think he has done a fantastic job regarding PWO's to help build some depth. DT, QB (depth) and LB to me have been his weakness recruiting so far.

Valid point. I know you like Dino as do I and it will be interesting to see how he and his staff does recruiting in the big picture.

I think he has done a fantastic job regarding PWO's to help build some depth. DT, QB (depth) and LB to me have been his weakness recruiting so far.
I agree. Dino isnt the issue. He is perfect for SU. Unfortunately his staff is average at best. If Dino elevates his staff he will succeed.

The point is that a coaches worth or ability isn’t based on “playing with a team he recruited” ...

I think you’re getting too caught up in who recruited who.

Plus, to pull off his 10 win season here no matter how you slice it - it was on him to add players, staff, etc to get there are he did. The key being you have a group of players and you need to assess what you have and then add some more players and then coach them up. This process happens every year. It doesn’t matter if you recruited them or not.

The point is that a coaches worth or ability isn’t based on “playing with a team he recruited” ...

I think you’re getting too caught up in who recruited who.

Plus, to pull off his 10 win season here no matter how you slice it - it was on him to add players, staff, etc to get there are he did. The key being you have a group of players and you need to assess what you have and then add some more players and then coach them up. This process happens every year. It doesn’t matter if you recruited them or not.
It actually does matter, especially at the College level.
Take JB. If he had Hops Washington team do you think he would win more games than Hop? I do. Same with most teams because JB is a great coach. Do i think Dino would have won more games for Florida State this year or Maryland had he been their head coach? Yes i do.
At the college level you have to be able to recruit. Not necessarily 5 or 4 star talent but enough kids that fit your system to compete. Dino can certainly coach. That doesn't mean that he can build a program.

Just curious; Dungey, Conway, Strickland, Whitner were sophomores and Slayton a red-shirt sophomore. Cullen, Hof, Adams, Shy, Frederick were red-shirt freshman. Roberts also a redshirt-sophomore.

At what point does HCDB get credit for the development of those 11 players that stuck it out ?

and fyi, of the 30 players in those 3 classes (redF, soph, Rsoph), HCDB basically kept the 11 best players, purged 15 players and a handful of others never contributed because of injuries. (Duerig, Pickard, Clark etc.)

It actually does matter, especially at the College level.
Take JB. If he had Hops Washington team do you think he would win more games than Hop? I do. Same with most teams because JB is a great coach. Do i think Dino would have won more games for Florida State this year or Maryland had he been their head coach? Yes i do.
At the college level you have to be able to recruit. Not necessarily 5 or 4 star talent but enough kids that fit your system to compete. Dino can certainly coach. That doesn't mean that he can build a program.

He added 90% of the players around the 10% that were Shafer recruits. That disproves your point about building a program.

If you want to make the case that after last year, he hasn’t maintained success - I think that’s more fair.

Decent hire for BC. BC is also apparently in a bidding war with Buttgers to hire Michigan LB coach Anthony Campanile to be their DC. I don't care if Memphis outspends us for a staffer but if the BC assistant salary pool is bigger than ours then that's a problem.

It’s been said at least 15 times
WAIT UNTIL THE COACHES CONVENTION AND/OR SCHOOL TO BE BACK
Please take a few week vacation if you can’t handle it :p

First day of classes is next Monday - January 13th.
Coaches convention is Jan 12 - 14th.
At least one more week to go.

Good hire by BC. They could be pretty good in 2-3 years. New hires are always interesting too, sometimes their first years they exceed expectations so I wouldn’t be surprised to see them stand out next year and then maybe fall back a little the year after.

Looks like Vandy is hiring Ted Roof to be their new DC.

Mack Brown poached an assistant coach from Nebraska. Jovan Dewitt to be OLB Coach and STC

The point is simple. To date he has won with the vast majority of his players having been recruited by the previous coaching staff. Fact. This year was the first year as a head coach that a significant amount of the 2 deep were his recruits. Fact.

guess you could say the same thing about marrone.

Cignetti has spent a lot of years a QB coach in the pros and in college.
Seems like BC isn't going to just focus on pounding the ball on the ground anymore.
If you're a good HS QB deciding between SU and BC, do you go to the place where the OC has great experience on the college and pro level or the place that the OC and QB coach have virtually no experience in their jobs?

Dino is still shopping, apparently.

I don't know anything about this guy but he's had a heck of a run at San Diego State. 4 (10) win seasons and known is a defensive coach.

Not sure why he'd want to leave the HC job. What's that story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom