2021 Bracketology | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2021 Bracketology

Are the transportation limitations still a thing? What was it --no 400 mile bus trips and only 3 flights?

Are the transportation limitations still a thing? What was it --no 400 mile bus trips and only 3 flights?

There won't be 8 home games in the 1st round this year. They're planning on having 4 regional sites host doubleheaders.

There won't be 8 home games in the 1st round this year. They're planning on having 4 regional sites host doubleheaders.
So only two weekends? You can see how much I've been paying attention.

So only two weekends? You can see how much I've been paying attention.

3 weekends.

1st round games May 15-16 (8 games at 4 sites). [Sites TBD]

Quarterfinals May 22-23 (4 games at 2 sites). [Hofstra and Notre Dame hosting]

Final Four May 29 & 31.

I still don't agree with RU being seeded ahead of us (or in this case, seeded at all).

We have 2 Top 5 wins and a higher RPI. They have no Top 10 wins. In fact, they have no Top 30 wins if you look at RPI.

Makes no sense.
There is no reason the RPI's should be the equivalent between 2 distinct groups who haven't played each other.

If you did an RPI just using the ACC in-conference games, you would probably find that UVa at 2-4 was sub .500. Because of the other games, UVa is much higher using the full schedule of games. You don't have the full schedule of games for the Big 10.

There is no reason the RPI's should be the equivalent between 2 distinct groups who haven't played each other.

If you did an RPI just using the ACC in-conference games, you would probably find that UVa at 2-4 was sub .500. Because of the other games, UVa is much higher using the full schedule of games. You don't have the full schedule of games for the Big 10.
Not buying it.

Look at who RU has beaten. As Powellfan said, they haven't beaten anyone with a winning record. You can't play the what-if game. The committee sure as heck isn't going to. You have to look at the games played.

Not buying it.

Look at who RU has beaten. As Powellfan said, they haven't beaten anyone with a winning record. You can't play the what-if game. The committee sure as heck isn't going to. You have to look at the games played.
OSU and PSU would have .500 records if Rutgers hadn't beaten them twice.
Syracuse does have a couple more losses - and you are lucky the selection committee doesn't look at score differences.

OSU and PSU would have .500 records if Rutgers hadn't beaten them twice.
Syracuse does have a couple more losses - and you are lucky the selection committee doesn't look at score differences.
Again with the "ifs".

If Rutgers hadn't beaten them twice, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. A 6-4 Rutgers wouldn't even be in consideration for a seed.

Not buying it.

True. But if it was a regular year B10 teams would have played outside of conference and some would have winning records. Of course, in a regular year the Ivies would have 3 of the 16 spots in the tourney. So strange.

Zach 80, I have fond memories of the old Rutgers stadium. I was there for the 1990 championship game. Nice venue. Better game.

Again with the "ifs".

If Rutgers hadn't beaten them twice, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. A 6-4 Rutgers wouldn't even be in consideration for a seed.
You don't think they should be in consideration for a seed anyways.

Zach 80, I have fond memories of the old Rutgers stadium. I was there for the 1990 championship game. Nice venue. Better game.
He a Maryland guy, btw.

No, I don't.

Do you think a 6-4 Rutgers would be?
They'd have 2 wins over .500 teams and would thus be a better team according to some.
No, probably not.

Maybe you should pick on Georgetown since they lost to Loyola today.

I still don't agree with RU being seeded ahead of us (or in this case, seeded at all).

We have 2 Top 5 wins and a higher RPI. They have no Top 10 wins. In fact, they have no Top 30 wins if you look at RPI.

Makes no sense.
the propping up of rutgers will.be unprecedented if you read the tea leaves.

hopefully the committee will have the sense at least to separate acc, b1g, big east, patriot as much as possible so we can see what's what.

I'd switch Army and Rutgahs. Maryland should be the only B1G team with a guaranteed bid no matter what happens in their tournament. If one of the "Bid Stealer 4" wins their tourney, Rutgahs should be out. There should be a price for playing a conference-only schedule.

I'd switch Army and Rutgahs. Maryland should be the only B1G team with a guaranteed bid no matter what happens in their tournament. If one of the "Bid Stealer 4" wins their tourney, Rutgahs should be out. There should be a price for playing a conference-only schedule.
I think Rutgers is listed as safe. Neither Rutgers or Maryland lost to the other Big Ten teams during the season, which makes it seem rather unlikely that both will lose.
It's not written in stone that Rutgers would be left out, if JHU or Michigan did win it. Much as Syracuse might make it even if they lose to RMU.

A 6-5 team at the #6 seed?
Sort of reminds one of the favoritism for Hopkins in the past. "Hey, they gots lots of quality losses."

Powellfan, I'm honored that you have posted my bracketology projection here for discussion.

My current seeding of Syracuse 6th has nothing to do with quality losses or the eye test - both of which I think are nonsense.

Assuming that Syracuse beats Robert Morris this weekend, I think they're almost a lock for a seed of some kind. I could see them falling behind some combination of the Big East champion, the Patriot League champion, and/or Big Ten champion Rutgers - but I think it would take a perfect storm for a 7-5 Syracuse to not be seeded in some capacity.

I challenge anyone who has an issue with Syracuse being #6 seed right now because "they don't look good or "they've gotten killed in 3 games" to really sit down and compare their résumé to that of Virginia. They're more similar than you probably expect, yet no one really questions that Virginia is likely either the #4 or #5 seed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom