2021 NFL Draft General thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2021 NFL Draft General thread

No dog in the fight as a cowboys fan but he reminds me a lot of Taco Charlton who has been a disappointment in his career so far.

Hmmm ya I can see the comparison. Rousseau is definitely a bit of a project but Buffalo desperately needed help at DE and this wasn't a deep edge rusher class. Boom or bust pick for sure.

Bummer no Orangeman snuck into the first round tonight. Hopefully at least two come off the board tomorrow

Please NE just take a defensive player and stay the hell away from Mac Jones.

Niners took a project and mortgaged their future.

Seems unlikely NE would take Mac Jones, if they had the cap space or assets I think they would be on the horn with GB right now.

The kind of move that can get you fired.
I am just going through this thread now and I can't WAIT to get to the 15th pick. ;)

Some random thoughts on the first round:
  • 49ers made the right call (at least between he and Mac) and I'm in the money so that's always nice
  • Not really a fan of Miami taking Waddle but not surprising they went that way and I get it, just isn't what I would have done. Phillips was a potentially great pick though.
  • Chicago could be scary good
  • Almost always a fan of trading down, but I wouldn't have taken Parsons in the Cowboys' shoes
  • Hopefully this won't bite me in the future but so happy to see Mac end up being New England's guy
  • I love Kadarius Toney and love the trade down, but I think offensive weapons was the least of the Giants' issues
  • The Jaguars have spent so many top picks on RBs recently and the best RB they've had is the undrafted guy from last year lol
  • I expected Buffalo to take Rousseau. Nailed that, though he wouldn't have been my choice personally.
Kinda nuts that Elijah Moore and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah are still on the board to start Day 2, as is my #5 QB in the class (though that isn't surprising).

• 49ers made the right call (at least between he and Mac) and I'm in the money so that's always nice
  • Not really a fan of Miami taking Waddle but not surprising they went that way and I get it, just isn't what I would have done. Phillips was a potentially great pick though.
  • Almost always a fan of trading down, but I wouldn't have taken Parsons in the Cowboys' shoes
  • Hopefully this won't bite me in the future but so happy to see Mac end up being New England's guy
  • I love Kadarius Toney and love the trade down, but I think offensive weapons was the least of the Giants' issues
  • The Jaguars have spent so many top picks on RBs recently and the best RB they've had is the undrafted guy from last year lol
  • I expected Buffalo to take Rousseau. Nailed that, though he wouldn't have been my choice personally.
Kinda nuts that Elijah Moore and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah are still on the board to start Day 2, as is my #5 QB in the class (though that isn't surprising).

I'm starting to doubt the Toney pick. Grades today and NFL guys saying we might have reached for him. We could have traded up in second round and got him. In that case I would have loved Rosseau at 20.

I'm starting to doubt the Toney pick. Grades today and NFL guys saying we might have reached for him. We could have traded up in second round and got him. In that case I would have loved Rosseau at 20.
It might have been a slight reach, but he's a really talented dude. It'll be interesting to see how he gets utilized in the NFL; he's special once the ball is in his hands. But between Golladay, Slayton, Shepard, and Saquon, there was already plenty of weapons there and this draft is littered with talented slot guys that could have provided at least some of what Toney is going to do for you.

Waddle’s a faster, higher ceiling Landry imo

I am just going through this thread now and I can't WAIT to get to the 15th pick. ;)

To each their own, but as a Pats fan who knows that Jones was the QB they were targeting all along, I'm happy they landed him. I think he has the makings of a solid pro. I wanted Lance badly but that was never happening

Jerry Jones sucks.

Parsons was the best pick. I thought he would be the pick even if the 2 corners were still on the board but with them gone it was really a no brainer. To get a 3rd rounder with him is a total win.

I am disappointed to not get Horn but I am okay with not getting PS. He plays way to soft for my liking and we have too many of those guys already on the roster.

With LVE probably not getting a 5th year option, Jaylon being a joke of a player, Joe Thomas gone via FA we really need help at the position.

We will all be thankful he is on the team when LVE goes down yet again in week 3 or 4 and misses half the season.

I would imagine round 2 and 3 with all those picks will be at least 2 corners.

All is not lost.

Not sure I get you on the Cowboys move. Run D and LB is a major concern. The rest of the CBs to me are not worth that high of a pick. Next year and late rounds this year is better to go OL given what they have. Dallas has 3 third round picks and now 11 picks total so lots of value for them this draft. Horn/Surtain was their first target and that didn't pan out. Philly was willing to give up a third rounder to move two spots. I think it's a win. Not a home run because they missed their mark for a shut down CB but still the best they could do.

Parsons was the best pick. I thought he would be the pick even if the 2 corners were still on the board but with them gone it was really a no brainer. To get a 3rd rounder with him is a total win.

I am disappointed to not get Horn but I am okay with not getting PS. He plays way to soft for my liking and we have too many of those guys already on the roster.

With LVE probably not getting a 5th year option, Jaylon being a joke of a player, Joe Thomas gone via FA we really need help at the position.

We will all be thankful he is on the team when LVE goes down yet again in week 3 or 4 and misses half the season.

I would imagine round 2 and 3 with all those picks will be at least 2 corners.

All is not lost.

Neal is going to play mostly LB this year I would presume. Wouldn't be surprised if the next 4 picks include 2 CBs, a S and another LB.

Also I think Smith can still be good but he needs to be a athlete who takes guidance from the defensive leader and be on the field for 1 or 2 downs not all 3.

Not sure I get you on the Cowboys move. Run D and LB is a major concern. The rest of the CBs to me are not worth that high of a pick. Next year and late rounds this year is better to go OL given what they have. Dallas has 3 third round picks and now 11 picks total so lots of value for them this draft. Horn/Surtain was their first target and that didn't pan out. Philly was willing to give up a third rounder to move two spots. I think it's a win. Not a home run because they missed their mark for a shut down CB but still the best they could do.
  1. I don't think Parsons is the best LB in the draft personally
  2. I wouldn't have wanted to be the team that took him with his off field issues
  3. They've invested so much at the LB position already
It was akin to the buzz that Buffalo wanted to take Etienne after drafting LBs early the past two years; just not a good use of resources IMO.

I do agree that Horn and Surtain going ahead of them left them without a good choice on defense and I like the fact that they traded down (and kinda ballsy to be willing to trade down within the division like they did, though I'm sure they figured Devonta would be in the division whether it was with the Giants or the Eagles lol). I would have just taken the value with Slater or Vera-Tucker at that point and waited for Day 2 for defense (which as it's turned out, has plenty of options).

Edit: Don't get me wrong; it's not a horrid pick like Marcus Mosher has been ranting about on Twitter. Just could have been better IMO.

Neal is going to play mostly LB this year I would presume. Wouldn't be surprised if the next 4 picks include 2 CBs, a S and another LB.

Also I think Smith can still be good but he needs to be a athlete who takes guidance from the defensive leader and be on the field for 1 or 2 downs not all 3.

I have never disliked a Cowboys player more than I currently dislike Jaylon. The on field antics when he is such a bad player is too much for me. Hopefully Quinn gets him sorted and he becomes less of a liability out there.

I have never disliked a Cowboys player more than I currently dislike Jaylon. The on field antics when he is such a bad player is too much for me. Hopefully Quinn gets him sorted and he becomes less of a liability out there.

Yeah you and I agree on Smith. I just hope he can be fixed given his natural abilities

2. I wouldn't have wanted to be the team that took him with his off field issues
It was akin to the buzz that Buffalo wanted to take Etienne after drafting LBs early the past two years; just not a good use of resources IMO.

I do agree that Horn and Surtain going ahead of them left them without a good choice on defense and I like the fact that they traded down (and kinda ballsy to be willing to trade down within the division like they did, though I'm sure they figured Devonta would be in the division whether it was with the Giants or the Eagles lol). I would have just taken the value with Slater or Vera-Tucker at that point and waited for Day 2 for defense (which as it's turned out, has plenty of options).

Edit: Don't get me wrong; it's not a horrid pick like Marcus Mosher has been ranting about on Twitter. Just could have been better IMO.

We will see what happens. I think Parsons is really good. He reminds me of Bobby Wagner who we handed to Seattle on a trade.

Also on the off field issues- it's a nothing Burger. One of my best friends has been an AD at two PSU satellite campuses and has been working on main campus in the AD for the past 5 years. They have had their problems and I still think the death penalty should have been handed out after Sandusky but Parsons is not an issue.

Neither Slater nor Vera-Tucker would have started. They are too invested in proving that Connor is not a bust. With how historically bad the defense is I do not know how anyone can pass on a day one starter on defense for a back up on offense.

As far as resources invested in the LB position it is clear they did not invest wisely and they are trying to rectify that. LVE will in all likelihood be gone next year and given Jaylon's cap hit .. he could be too.

In reading about the off fields issues in depth .. it looks to not be a whole lot there.

It might have been a slight reach, but he's a really talented dude. It'll be interesting to see how he gets utilized in the NFL; he's special once the ball is in his hands. But between Golladay, Slayton, Shepard, and Saquon, there was already plenty of weapons there and this draft is littered with talented slot guys that could have provided at least some of what Toney is going to do for you.
I think everyone wants to be KC and have as many explosive skill guys as possible because the rules benefit the receivers. OL seems second if you have a QB who can move a bit - not sure I agree with the strategy but the Bengals are exhibit A of we think our receivers are going to be so good that our line doesn't have to be that great.

What happened to him? He's still young and was excellent in 2018, pretty good in 2019 and then horrible last year.

I think everyone wants to be KC and have as many explosive skill guys as possible because the rules benefit the receivers. OL seems second if you have a QB who can move a bit - not sure I agree with the strategy but the Bengals are exhibit A of we think our receivers are going to be so good that our line doesn't have to be that great.
Don't really think that's how the Bengals or any teams are thinking. Bengals specifically took 1st rd OL in 2018 and 2019 and just handed Reiff a decent deal. I'd imagine they will be using another premium pick on another guy tonight. Chiefs looked like crap because their 2 above-average and well paid OTs were both injured and they had 2 other rotation OL guys opt out before the season. Can see from this offseason that they care A LOT about Oline given they almost stole Trent Williams, signed Thuney and traded for Brown.

Probably Darrisaw for the Raiders or even Barmore

I wish. The NFL draft is no fun for me because the Raiders suck so bad at it. That stiff future guard could've been picked in the 2nd round if they loved him so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom