2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this commitment by Mintz and get by the coaches.

It’s been rocky and this doesn’t solve everything by any means, but it’s nice to land this dude. It’s nice to have a really good day.

A good lead guard like Mintz with a guy like Joe in the backcourt can let JB get in the lab and cook up some fun stuff. That’s some real flex on offense.

I know it’s a lot of “ifs”, but IF Cole stays and IF Benny makes the sophomore leap… now we’re cooking with gas.

Today was a good day. Let’s have more of these days.

I think this was posted in the other thread but wasn't sure if everyone clicked on the link to read the write up. Thought it was worth sharing.

"Mintz’s decision to choose the Orange might come as a shock, considering DePaul was viewed as the heavy favorite. So why Syracuse?

Mintz breaks down his decision​

Mintz’s decision to choose the Orange might come as a shock, considering DePaul was viewed as the heavy favorite. So why Syracuse?

“The opportunity there for me, being at a historic program, and being able to play a major role as a freshman at a place like Syracuse is unmatched,” Mintz says. “I think it really fits me. Being able to come in and be a lead guard and play amongst shooters and with someone like Jesse (Edwards) at center… I think it’s going to be somewhere I can really thrive in.
“I feel like Coach Boeheim, the way he spoke to me… it showed me how much confidence he has in my abilities.”
When did Mintz realize he would call Syracuse home?

“I think watching the ACC Tournament, watching that game against Duke, and seeing how intense it was…seeing the style of basketball in the ACC, it really caught my eye.”

What was Cuse’s recruiting pitch?
“They were really telling me, don’t come if I don’t expect big things out of myself. Like don’t try and think you can ease your way into it because they’re going to need me to step into a really big role. And having a big role in the ACC and having your coaches believe that you’re ready to do it right now, that’s really big for me. Just really being able to be a point guard, be a lead guard, it really had me sold.”

How does Judah Mintz describe his game, and what does he bring to the team?

“I would say I’m a high-energy guy, that is a playmaker. I’ve always been a two-guard for my whole high school career, but I think this year at Oak Hill, I’ve shown my ability to be on the ball, and be more than just a scorer. I think what I really bring is my ability to make plays either scoring or passing.”

Ok so first thing - if you have the ESPN app watch the replay from today's Oak Hill/Link game. Then enjoy the realization of what we are getting in Judah.

Some things that really popped for me that I hope others who have seen him more can validate-

First off this kid has a really diverse skillset with a lot of tools to work with.

He is very capable of beating his man without a screen first of all. What is more impressive is how he does it.

In this game alone I saw him showcase a filthy quick first step a couple of times. It's also elite in that he doesn't shuffle his feet or have a hitch. In two bursts he is in the paint and can rise and fire in the mid range. He also showcased a really high level jab step and showed as a threat out of the triple threat position. It's something I wish we would see more of. Guys like Melo and CJ Fair made a living off of it. Judah then also used the bounce with a nice little crossover combo to get his defender off balance and then used that quickness in combination. Finally he used a really slick hesitation move to get into the lane. It's uncommon to see kids with such a diverse set of tools to beat their man.

Onto the next positive- vision. His vision is akin to Richmonds. He has his head up and sees the floor really well. He is also fearless and decisive with the pass. Very little wasted movement. He could have had 10 dimes. Also all but maybe one of his 7 assists were him seeing the cutter or driving and finding the open man as opposed to swing passes on the perimeter.

Sticking with offense- despite having good vision he also is a natural scorer including doing a great job drawing fouls. He is creative and very natural in getting defenders in trouble. Good scorers make it a point to get freebies. Major positive here. On top of this he also does a great job making himself available either on the break or spotting up. Just high bball iq.

On defense he looks like a solid top of the zone defender. He had several deflections and showed good reaction time and definitely disrupted things a few possessions. A little slow getting back on other occasions and too lackadaisical other times. That said the whole Oak Hill team took a few too many defensive possessions off.

Also noticed he was directing his teammates on the court quite often. Loved seeing that too.

Overall this was a huge get. He checks so many boxes. He is just a frosh so you gotta expect the normal ups and downs even as good as he is but overall I think we ended up with a better option than both Dior or JJ.

Last edited:
Ok so first thing - if you have the ESPN app watch the replay from today's Oak Hill/Link game. Then enjoy the realization of what we are getting in Judah.

Some things that really popped for me that I hope others who have seen him more can validate-

First off this kid has a really diverse skillset with a lot of tools to work with.

He is very capable of beating his man without a screen first of all. What is more impressive is how he does it.

In this game alone I saw him showcase a filthy quick first step a couple of times. It's also elite in that he doesn't shuffle his feet or have a hitch. In two bursts he is in the paint and can rise and fire in the mid range. He also showcased a really high level jab step and showed as a threat out of the triple threat position. It's something I wish we would see more of. Guys like Melo and CJ Fair made a living off of it. Judah then also used the bounce with a nice little crossover combo to get his defender off balance and then used that quickness in combination. Finally he used a really slick hesitation move to get into the lane. It's uncommon to see kids with such a diverse set of tools to beat their man.

Onto the next positive- vision. His vision is akin to Richmonds. He has his head up and sees the floor really well. He is also fearless and decisive with the pass. Very little wasted movement. He could have had 10 dimes. Also all but maybe one of his 7 assists were him seeing the cutter or driving and finding the open man as opposed to swing passes on the perimeter.

Sticking with offense- despite having good vision he also is a natural scorer including doing a great job drawing fouls. He is creative and very natural in getting defenders in trouble. Good scorers make it a point to get freebies. Major positive here. On top of this he also does a great job making himself available either on the break or spotting up. Just high bball iq.

On defense he looks like a solid top of the zone defender. He had several deflections and showed good reaction time and definitely disrupted things a few possessions. A little slow getting back on other occasions and too lackadaisical other times. That said the whole Oak Hill team took a few too many defensive possessions off.

Also noticed he was directing his teammates on the court quite often. Loved seeing that too.

Overall this was a huge get. He checks so many boxes. He is just a frosh so you gotta expect the normal ups and downs even as good as he is but overall I think we ended up with a better option than both Dior or JJ.
This is literally the best thing I have read on this board in well over a year.

Love this commitment by Mintz and get by the coaches.

It’s been rocky and this doesn’t solve everything by any means, but it’s nice to land this dude. It’s nice to have a really good day.

A good lead guard like Mintz with a guy like Joe in the backcourt can let JB get in the lab and cook up some fun stuff. That’s some real flex on offense.

I know it’s a lot of “ifs”, but IF Cole stays and IF Benny makes the sophomore leap… now we’re cooking with gas.

Today was a good day. Let’s have more of these days.

With a guy like Mintz who should be effective as a scorer and passer out of the isolation, we'll have three separate offenses we can play.

Isolation for Mintz (potentially for others... Maybe)

The motion offense

Edwards and Girard on the pick and roll. (Everyone will get sick of me talking about the pick and roll by November)

If so, we could have a great offense. Especially if Swider and Girard are able to shoot the way they did last year.

It's crazy that we might replace a great scorer in Buddy and a nice complementary player like Jimmy with two unknown commodities like Williams and Mintz and come out with a substantially better offense. But I think it could happen. Last year's team was a little bit of a bunch of square pegs trying to fit into round holes.

They actually have a premium board also. It appears to be more active than the open site. The Blue Demon Room

Fun read on their premium board but nothing that you don’t see other places including here. They hammered the crystal ball process like we did where guys can flip their prediction last minute. They hammered one crystal ball guy who just deleted his whole prediction. One guy said Judah got a 2 year NIL deal. One of their supposed insiders reminded everyone that he had spoke to their coach at the BET and he said at the time he went sure they were getting Mintz. Their cooler heads said they knew it was probably over when DePaul started going after every JUCO and portal guard. One poster claims his cousin goes to oak hill and that Judah has no left hand and doesn’t even like basketball and that DePaul dodged a bullet. Lol.

But the best post was a poster saying some twitter dude said SU was a done deal. Someone responded with “some twitter dude said my hair would regrow if I put garlic in my pillowcase”

Fun read on their premium board but nothing that you don’t see other places including here. They hammered the crystal ball process like we did where guys can flip their prediction last minute. They hammered one crystal ball guy who just deleted his whole prediction. One guy said Judah got a 2 year NIL deal. One of their supposed insiders reminded everyone that he had spoke to their coach at the BET and he said at the time he went sure they were getting Mintz. Their cooler heads said they knew it was probably over when DePaul started going after every JUCO and portal guard. One poster claims his cousin goes to oak hill and that Judah has no left hand and doesn’t even like basketball and that DePaul dodged a bullet. Lol.

But the best post was a poster saying some twitter dude said SU was a done deal. Someone responded with “some twitter dude said my hair would regrow if I put garlic in my pillowcase”
Bees has a DePaul premium subscription???

I KNEW IT!!!

Watched the first half. Really liked what I saw. Instinctive playmaker. Didn’t see much hero ball. Loved that he is their designated / trusted inbounder. Good vision - efficient.

Saw the usual HS lackluster defensive effort, but that gets corrected quickly.

Really impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.