2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PG Judah Mintz (DC / Oak Hill) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the first half. Really liked what I saw. Instinctive playmaker. Didn’t see much hero ball. Loved that he is their designated / trusted inbounder. Good vision - efficient.

Saw the usual HS lackluster defensive effort, but that gets corrected quickly.

Really impressed.
Forgot to add inbounds plays. That assist to Livingston was pretty. Actually looked like a capable inbounds play.

Something else too, Oak Hill ran some nice inbounds sets where they pulled defenders away from the corner and setup a 1 on 1 on the baseline. Lot of other action that made it work but was a slick play

Forgot to add inbounds plays. That assist to Livingston was pretty. Actually looked like a capable inbounds play.

Something else too, Oak Hill ran some nice inbounds sets where they pulled defenders away from the corner and setup a 1 on 1 on the baseline. Lot of other action that made it work but was a slick play
One more thing about Judah that sounds very good to me from a scout at 247:

Lee: "He's a leader. He's vocal. He tells guys what to do, he's not shy, he can definitely lead. Another thing that he's really good at, that he didn't get to showcase as much because he wasn't running the point here, is that he's a really, really good passer. He's a great passer. As long as he just simplifies it and makes the right plays, he'll be ready to play right away. It's going to be a really difficult transition for him to his complicated moves that he likes to do, but it'll be a very easy transition when he just goes and makes the right play, the right pass, the score. I think he's ready to do those things right now."

Is Mintz pretty much the starter at PG? because Symir looked like he was developing into an excellent PG the last few games

“People don’t know how relatable Coach Boeheim is,” Mintz said. “They see him as just another old coach, but he’s actually really relatable and he’s honest. That’s really big for me.”

I often see posters say the exact same thing...:rolleyes:

Is Mintz pretty much the starter at PG? because Symir looked like he was developing into an excellent PG the last few games
Judah will be the day 1 starter as long as he picks up on the defensive rotations (which is easier to learn as a guard) in the zone. He is a slasher and a ball handler just like Symir, but he also brings an already reliable jump shot, so his defender won’t be able to sag off of him. The lane wouldn’t become clogged, which also allows Jesse more freedom. On top of that, his defender will also not be able to cheat over towards JG3.

Have hope for the coming season with this young man in the picture. Get JR3 to the
2Guard position where he truly belongs.
Add a talent like Judah, I see some sunlight.
Welcome Judah hope you kill it here !

I think this was posted in the other thread but wasn't sure if everyone clicked on the link to read the write up. Thought it was worth sharing.

"Mintz’s decision to choose the Orange might come as a shock, considering DePaul was viewed as the heavy favorite. So why Syracuse?

Mintz breaks down his decision​

Mintz’s decision to choose the Orange might come as a shock, considering DePaul was viewed as the heavy favorite. So why Syracuse?

“The opportunity there for me, being at a historic program, and being able to play a major role as a freshman at a place like Syracuse is unmatched,” Mintz says. “I think it really fits me. Being able to come in and be a lead guard and play amongst shooters and with someone like Jesse (Edwards) at center… I think it’s going to be somewhere I can really thrive in.
“I feel like Coach Boeheim, the way he spoke to me… it showed me how much confidence he has in my abilities.”
When did Mintz realize he would call Syracuse home?

“I think watching the ACC Tournament, watching that game against Duke, and seeing how intense it was…seeing the style of basketball in the ACC, it really caught my eye.”

What was Cuse’s recruiting pitch?
“They were really telling me, don’t come if I don’t expect big things out of myself. Like don’t try and think you can ease your way into it because they’re going to need me to step into a really big role. And having a big role in the ACC and having your coaches believe that you’re ready to do it right now, that’s really big for me. Just really being able to be a point guard, be a lead guard, it really had me sold.”

How does Judah Mintz describe his game, and what does he bring to the team?

“I would say I’m a high-energy guy, that is a playmaker. I’ve always been a two-guard for my whole high school career, but I think this year at Oak Hill, I’ve shown my ability to be on the ball, and be more than just a scorer. I think what I really bring is my ability to make plays either scoring or passing.”
Gosh, he is kinda cute, isn’t he?

Sorry! Sorry!

Watched the first half. Really liked what I saw. Instinctive playmaker. Didn’t see much hero ball. Loved that he is their designated / trusted inbounder. Good vision - efficient.

Saw the usual HS lackluster defensive effort, but that gets corrected quickly.

Really impressed.
What do you think? Maybe Ennis with a better jumper?

Symir, and I doubted him early, is very much what they are describing Mintz as, without the shot. If his shot improves we have ourselves some options.

We might very well have a situation where or best five include three guards. Especially if Torrence develops a dependable outside shot JB let's him shoot.

Edwards, Swider, Torrence, Girard, Mintz would definitely score... The question is if they could rebound and defend will enough. So much of next season relies on how well Edwards handles the middle, and who we can get to back him up. If Edwards becomes dominant on the boards, something he hasn't done previously, it helps our lineup options if we don't have enough dependable forwards and want to go small.

If Cole comes back, we will get a back up 5 and that is it. We are committed to Benny at the forward position. If we weren't, we wouldn't have landed Mintz.
I agree, assuming Cole and Benny are the starters. The backups would be Brown and Taylor. That's assuming they can get something out of our freshman. Without Cole I think they'll go out and bring in a scoring forward. Lots of buzz about the center from FSU. His tape looks like he has better feel and skills around the basket but not the athlete Anselem was. I trust the opinion of the staff.

Lyons boy here! JB's ahma mahter! I am a defensive guy first. Everyone here is mentioning the offense with Judah, he will open up the offense. I am SURE he will create all the opportunities/fire power. The offense will take care of itself and we'll win ATLEAST 22 GAMES. Can we please have a discussion about the SU Defense next year? Defense wins games/championships and will take us deep into wherever we want to go. Jesse is the foundation for the defense. Where do we go from there? Where is the length?

Lyons boy here! JB's ahma mahter! I am a defensive guy first. Everyone here is mentioning the offense with Judah, he will open up the offense. I am SURE he will create all the opportunities/fire power. The offense will take care of itself and we'll win ATLEAST 22 GAMES. Can we please have a discussion about the SU Defense next year? Defense wins games/championships and will take us deep into wherever we want to go. Jesse is the foundation for the defense. Where do we go from there? Where is the length?
Benny Williams doesn’t have length? And a second year in the system. Cole is long but slow. Size isn’t the issue, it’s what we can do with it. Mintz is smaller but is an upgrade defensively, our defense was a black hole. It literally can’t get worse.

Never want to rush a summer but as it sounds like (again) the Mets will start the year injured and sadly the best pitcher in the game this time- can't wait for the new hoops and football seasons on the hill.

We’ll have more length next year than this past season, that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.